Season Ticket Renewals

Aud Fellow

What are your/your friends' plans for season ticket renewals? Have they changed since winning the draft lottery?

I was probably going to let mine lapse, but now I'm not so sure. I have a friend still planning to let his lapse. 

Trying to add a poll to this too...

Edited by Aud Fellow

My problem with giving them up is I don’t think we’ll be able to find a ticket in town for a decent price once they are good again. And I think seasons will definitely not be easy to get...so holding on to them is insurance for a year or two from now...

My problem with giving them up is I don’t think we’ll be able to find a ticket in town for a decent price once they are good again. And I think seasons will definitely not be easy to get...so holding on to them is insurance for a year or two from now...

That's the issue everyone is wrestling with.  No one legit wants them for next season.

I'm not a local so I don't buy tickets but I'm in limbo as to whether I'll spend the $100-$120 on the single team NHL.tv package to stream through my Roku players. Even at the full $120 that works out to less than $1.50 per Sabres game (less the national broadcasts that get blocked out, but I can still watch through my Directv subscription).  With how bad they've been even that amount seems like a monumental waste of money and more importantly time and frustration. As usual I'll do the 2 week free preview first and then wait and see.

I expect to be renewing, but that's where I was prior to winning the lottery.

Holding the tix for another year to watch the Sabres play good hockey isn't a huge issue, until you realize if that passes it's been 8 years since they consistently played good hockey. And that was with a team that was led by players to which a lot of the fans had major issues with at least 1 (and many had issues w/ several) of the leaders. Good thing Brandon was marketing the team all these years, they'd probably have already moved if it hadn't have been for his genius. (Sorry for the last sentence there. Just pointing out an absurdity - I'll probably move the rest of the proposed rant over to the Russ is dreamy thread. ;))

I feel bad for the people who put up with the for what was most of the past six years and are stepping out just as things are poised to turn around. Don’t blame them though, and doubt it will be that hard to get back in the game once Dahlin and Mittelstadt start showing they are worth it

I feel bad for the people who put up with the ###### for what was most of the past six years and are stepping out just as things are poised to turn around. Don’t blame them though, and doubt it will be that hard to get back in the game once Dahlin and Mittelstadt start showing they are worth it

I find it hard to feel bad for them because they made that choice. While I understand the whole concept of fear of missing out and not wanting to lose their seats once the Sabres are good/playoff bound again there's a decent chance that supporting the team at all cost helped convince the front office to maintain the status quo for too many losing years.

It's a whole lot easier to avoid rocking the boat when all those seats are paid for (even if no one is sitting in them) and you having thousands of people waiting in line to be additional customers.

Imagine if 10,000 people had cancelled their season tickets after 7/1/07 when fans watched their two co-captains walk for greener pastures. Does anyone think OSP might have been inclined to change standard operating procedure at that point? Given how focused he was on at least breaking even I think it would have been led to serious changes.

As fans we get no official say, but we can vote with our wallets because in the end it's the customers (through tickets, concessions, merchandise, parking, tv ads, etc.) who are responsible for each of these guys getting a paycheck.

I find it hard to feel bad for them because they made that choice. While I understand the whole concept of fear of missing out and not wanting to lose their seats once the Sabres are good/playoff bound again there's a decent chance that supporting the team at all cost helped convince the front office to maintain the status quo for too many losing years.

It's a whole lot easier to avoid rocking the boat when all those seats are paid for (even if no one is sitting in them) and you having thousands of people waiting in line to be additional customers.

Imagine if 10,000 people had cancelled their season tickets after 7/1/07 when fans watched their two co-captains walk for greener pastures. Does anyone think OSP might have been inclined to change standard operating procedure at that point? Given how focused he was on at least breaking even I think it would have been led to serious changes.

As fans we get no official say, but we can vote with our wallets because in the end it's the customers (through tickets, concessions, merchandise, parking, tv ads, etc.) who are responsible for each of these guys getting a paycheck.

Absolutely, it would have. The internal self-imposed cap would've been reduced $5MM & 1-2 scouts would've been let go. And the team would've broken even again more or less.

It's somewhat related to the question.  I was ready to let go of the center ice package unless something significant happened.  The lottery has me reconsidering that now.  Yes, I know the money involved with this decision is at a completely different order of magnitude from the season ticket holders.

Absolutely, it would have. The internal self-imposed cap would've been reduced $5MM & 1-2 scouts would've been let go. And the team would've broken even again more or less.

That's certainly possible. It's also possible that he might have cleaned house at that point as well in some sort of ritual sacrifice to appease the fans. Maybe Quinn gets bought out for his % of the team and Darcy gets the axe in 2007 instead of 6 years later. We'll never know for sure, but we know what did happen and it was nothing to write home about.

It's somewhat related to the question.  I was ready to let go of the center ice package unless something significant happened.  The lottery has me reconsidering that now.  Yes, I know the money involved with this decision is at a completely different order of magnitude from the season ticket holders.

Same here. Luckily Center Ice has a free preview for the 1st 2 weeks of the season every year. STHs have to make their decision well before any games are played.

I like how a discussion of season ticket renewals for 2018-2019 ends up back at a discussion of Briere and Drury leaving in 2007. 

Let's talk about letting Scotty Bowman go and the impact of Punch Imlach's poor health causing him to retire while we are at it. 

I am renewing. Thats what the family, and I enjoy doing. It is a much more family friendly environment than going to the Ralph. Besides, when the team starts playing well, it will make up for the lean years as a season ticket holder.

Edited by DirtDart

Not nearly the same magnitude as season ticket holders but for the first time I was really wavering on another mini pack next year. Since the lottery I'm in.

Sabres are coming to Oshawa for a Preseason Game in September. I got my tickets but my uncle was not going to pay the crazy prices they're charging for a Preseason Game, despite it being in our home town. He bought tickets the day after winning the lottery.

Not nearly the same magnitude as season ticket holders but for the first time I was really wavering on another mini pack next year. Since the lottery I'm in.

Sabres are coming to Oshawa for a Preseason Game in September. I got my tickets but my uncle was not going to pay the crazy prices they're charging for a Preseason Game, despite it being in our home town. He bought tickets the day after winning the lottery.

Here's hoping that Dahlin is in the 1/2 of the training camp roster that makes the trip to Oshawa, if tgat's who your uncle is paying to see.

NHL preseason games are an even bigger ripoff than NFL preseason games are, IMHO.

Here's hoping that Dahlin is in the 1/2 of the training camp roster that makes the trip to Oshawa, if tgat's who your uncle is paying to see.

NHL preseason games are an even bigger ripoff than NFL preseason games are, IMHO.

Oh I know. I'm hoping we get atleast Dahlin or Eichel in the lineup. Although I thinking the big deal will be JT if he's still an islander. Ironic thing is they are marketing the game about Tavares coming back to Oshawa yet he may not even be on either team come September.

• 3 weeks later...

I shared Sabre season tickets with some friends a while back, used to have Bills season tickets for a LONG time (almost 20 years).  So not being a season ticket holder, the question of renewing doesn't pertain to me now...but...

Even if the team was a playoff team already, and if I did have the chance, I would not get season tickets.  Nothing against the team, but I LIKE going to the arena once a month or so just to get the feel for the crowd and the atmosphere, but I prefer most other times to watch the game on TV.  Show up 5 minutes before it starts and not miss anything...rewind/replay anything I want with the DVR...with a big screen and high-def see more of the action up close than anywhere but the very best seats in the arena...and make whatever food/drink I want and watch the game myself or have 6 friends over.

I understand the experience is great for some who actually go to the games...and I want to go to a handful of games to get the feel for that...but the 'at home' game experience has just gotten better for me than being in the arena or stadium all the time.

I had season tickets since 2012 and decided not to renew them this year (even after they won the lottery). 1 guy isn't going to turn everything around (remember when Eichel was going to have us in the playoffs within 2-3 years?). There's such a lack of depth and talent on this team that I can't see anything changing anytime soon.

My timing on most things is horrific so they'll probably make a cup run this season, but I'm tired of spending $4,000+ every year only to give half my tickets away because I can't get $10 a piece on stubhub and I have no interest in watching them live. Props to anyone who's sticking it out, but I found myself dreading going to the arena more times than not, and I don't see how Dahlin is going to single-handedly fill the enormous holes this roster has.

What if Dahlin is so GD good that every time you see him in person it's like seeing a new Picasso masterpiece (or Springsteen or Tarantino or Kanye, as you prefer)?

It could happen.

Then the Sabres will finally after nearly 50 years have a true #1 defenseman & I'll be able to get my money back for any games I have to StubHub the tix. ;) (Will still remain to be seen whether PTR can say the same. Probably not. :p)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.