Dahlin going to be a Sabre

sweetlou

There was a lot made out of their final home game when he went and grabbed the puck out of the net after the game and tucked it into his pants, like he knew he was not coming back. Just saying, I love to have him in a Sabres uniform mentoring Dahlin.

Wowzers, just wow

His control of the puck with speed is superb.

Forsure, alot was made of it. What I seen was a guy that thought he was going to get traded and he seemed to be crushed by that fact.

Critical mass. A group of very talented kids in key roles entering their primes at about the same time.

Weren’t you always one of the ones who said it was going to take five years minimum before we could compete?

Could be.  Sounds like something I would say.

I'm leery of any critical mass event that requires 3 tanks to make work. 

Look, an excellent core all around the same age is a proven recipe for long-term success.

Whether you stay bad for an extended period to acquire them like Pittsburgh and Chicago, or luck into them like Boston, or use a mix of the above like Toronto and Tampa, it generally works.

We know Jack is excellent and Risto and Sam are very good, but we’re only halfway there.

Casey looks very good and Alex looks the opposite. Dahlin might be the missing piece.

There aren’t many six-packs under 25 I would trade that group for, but they have to be developed.

Time will tell.

5 Reilly 8 Ristolainen

21 Gauthier 14 Girgensons

8 Nylander 2 Reinhart

4 Marner 8 Mittelstadt

1 Matthews 2 Eichel

17 Liljegen 1 Dahlin

25 ??? 8 Nylander

It’s not as lopsided as recent results would make you think.

If Mittelstadt and Dahlin meet expectations, and Botterill and Housley fix the locker room and develop our supporting cast, we could still see a Pittsburgh Washington rivalry for the next decade.

Yesterday has certainly renewed my hope.

Edited by dudacek

It isn't splitting hairs. Tanking is deliberately icing a team that won't win.

Im not debating you. I’ve said that all along. I just found it chuckle worthy because a bunch of folks spent the whole tank period calling it a rebuild (as they knew tank was a negative term) and claiming teams like Chicago tanked (they didn’t) while posting gifs of military armor. Iron-y.

Edited by We've

Im not debating you. I’ve said that all along. I just found it chuckle worthy because a bunch of folks spent the whole tank period calling it a rebuild (as they knew tank was a negative term) and claiming teams like Chicago tanked (they didn’t) while posting gifs of military armor. Iron-y.

This past season wasn't a tank season. They made moves to improve that simply didn't work or didn't work due to injuries and lack of depth. That being said they did do some sneaky subtle tankish things like try to create a cohesive power play when they already had the best power play in the league. It wasn't til January I think that they finally got the old gang back together. Getting rid of the PP coach to start the year and bringing in assistants with no big league experience could be considered a tank move as well. I consider bringing in Baloo-it as a tank move too. God only knows how many shorties we gave up when he was out on the PP.( this ones a stretch I know :rolleyes: ) But I just don't like Baloo-it the player. Can you tell.  

I watched a few. I can never buy into these clips, and we've seen clips like this for all manner of prospects (I will agree to the premise that Dahlin isn't just another prospect). I just don't see anyone scoring goals like that in the NHL. It has to translate to North America and especially to the team he is joining. It's interesting that the older the poster, the more it seems like there's a "wait and see" approach.

What we all have more of today, though, is hope, and hope is a good thing. I'm just not ready to predict that he's going to win four or five Norris Trophies, which one of the hosts on GR said this morning.

I watched a few. I can never buy into these clips, and we've seen clips like this for all manner of prospects (I will agree to the premise that Dahlin isn't just another prospect). I just don't see anyone scoring goals like that in the NHL. It has to translate to North America and especially to the team he is joining. It's interesting that the older the poster, the more it seems like there's a "wait and see" approach.

What we all have more of today, though, is hope, and hope is a good thing. I'm just not ready to predict that he's going to win four or five Norris Trophies, which one of the hosts on GR said this morning.

Good post.

Hope you watched the video. Much more than a highlight package.

Watching Brayden McNabb last night reminded me of why you never trade good defenseman.

Especially for 4th rd forward prospects.

The best thing about Dahlin and hopefully Guhle next season is that we can begin the process of lowering Risto’s PT. Add McCabe, Scandella and someone else like Pilut and you could have three actual decent pairings.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

My excitement for Dahlin comes from the poise with which he handles the puck in the face of adversity, namely, when pressured on the edge of a cliff that is the blue line, where all of our defensemen are more likely to fall on their than make a real play. His lane-creation is unreal. 

And furthermore, we have a few direct comparables that played in the same league at the same age as Rasmus, and one has several Norris trophies, and one is winning one this year unless it's rigged for a Canadian boi again. 

And he outperformed each of those comparables in his draft year in that league. (Hedman scored the same number of points, but the Swedes attributed that less to abilities and more to already being a 6-4 200+ pound man)

And then was clearly the best player on the ice in all relevant tournaments containing his peers. 

And he's not a slouch defensively, either. wicked gap control and stickwork. He'll be raw back there early on, but there are as many tools on this defenseman as any guy drafted since Pronger.

Random thoughts - the NHL has far, far more board play in terms of battles and usage for passes in general, compared to the SHL. So they might end up desiring him to switch to the left side for that reason. 

And I don't like how much his ankles bend when he skates. To skating pros, is that healthy for your ankles/knees? Is that something he should fix, or is it ideal somehow? Could it lead to a greater likelihood of injuries in those areas down the line?

This past season wasn't a tank season. They made moves to improve that simply didn't work or didn't work due to injuries and lack of depth. That being said they did do some sneaky subtle tankish things like try to create a cohesive power play when they already had the best power play in the league. It wasn't til January I think that they finally got the old gang back together. Getting rid of the PP coach to start the year and bringing in assistants with no big league experience could be considered a tank move as well. I consider bringing in Baloo-it as a tank move too. God only knows how many shorties we gave up when he was out on the PP.( this ones a stretch I know :rolleyes: ) But I just don't like Baloo-it the player. Can you tell.  

I'm about 85% convinced that this season's results were unintended, but there is a not insignificant part of me that is suspicious that it was an under the radar tank season.

I'm almost hoping that the season's results were intended.  Otheriwse, JBott got some 'splainin' to do.  He shipped in a big % of the roster this season.

Erik Karlsson had 5-5-10 in 45gp for Frolunda HC in the SHL during his first full year in the SHL, the year after he was drafted. He posted 1g in 7 games in his draft year

Victor Hedman had 7-14-21 in 43gp for MODO in the SHL  during his first full year in the SHL, the year after he was drafted. He posted 2-2-4pts in 39gp in his draft year

Rasmus Dahlin had 7-13-20 in 41gp for Frolunda HC in the SHL during his draft year.

Karlsson's first 3 NHL seasons:

5-21-26pts in 60gp

13-32-45pts in 75gp

19-59-78pts in 81gp

Hedman's first 3 NHL seasons:

4-16-20pts in 74gp

3-23-26pts in 79gp

5-18-23pts in 61gp

Hedman really didn't break out until his 5th season, posting 13-42-55pts in 75gp

Another comparison Dahlin has drawn is Drew Doughty.

Doughty's first 3 NHL seasons:

11-29-40pts in 76gp

10-26-36pts in 77gp

6-16-22pts in 48gp (lockout)

Honestly I'm expecting a Karlsson-like trajectory. First 2 seasons with good production, 3rd season becomes an All Star

Edited by WildCard

Erik Karlsson had 5-5-10 in 45gp for Frolunda HC in the SHL during his draft year.

Victor Hedman had 7-14-21 in 43gp for MODO in the SHL during his draft year.

Rasmus Dahlin had 7-13-20 in 41gp for Frolunda HC in the SHL during his draft year.

Those are Karlsson's numbers the season after he was drafted.

Those are Karlsson's numbers the season after he was drafted.

Right, my mistake. He only played 7 games his draft year, and posted 1 goal. And Hedman only posted 4pts in 39gp in his draft year. Meanwhile Dahlin posts 20pts? That's absolutely insane

Edited by WildCard

When the card flipped over to Sabres logo, I yelled soooooo loud!  And kept screaming yes! yes!yes!   My wife said, you should be there, Jason Botteril was so subdued.  I was screaming... This has never happened in my lifetime!  This has never happened!  The Sabres WON the lottery!  We are getting the rarest, hardest piece to get on an NHL Team, a Franchise Defining Defenseman, and not just any player.... A generational guy that could change the NHL.   I am truely in Hockey Heaven!!!!!  So grateful, so high right now.  Can't wait to see next year's team with an eye on the next 10-15 years!  Let's GO Buff-a-lo!  Clap! Clap!... Clap!Clap!Clap!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.