Incoming mind-warp! Brad's goal was 25 years ago today. MAY DAY!

PASabreFan

Terrible story by that hack Harrington:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/24/a-quarter-century-later-may-day-goal-remains-signature-moment-in-sabres-history/

The one that always makes me chuckle is how Rick is adamant that he couldn't have had that call at the ready, because May hadn't scored since the 8th grade picnic. Well, it was in his head, because had used it before. May scored in overtime in Pittsburgh that year and Rick punctuated it with May Days.

Correction: it was a home game against St. Louis. Otherwise, I nailed it.

Edited by PASabreFan

Among my all-time great sport moments. Caught the second half of that game at a national bar/burger chain of some kind (Fuddruckers?) on Comm Ave in Allston.

Terrible story by that hack Harrington:

Glad to see you've finally got on board.  The next step is to stop reading his dreck entirely.

Well done.

If only Harrington could perform that well on Twitter and in press conferences.

I think that's just part of being a sports personality in the age of social media. Gotta keep those eyeballs on your product. Being controversial ("sticky"?) is probably a directive from the boss. You almost feel sorry for people whose job, partly, is to be hated.

Edited by PASabreFan

Among my all-time great sport moments. Caught the second half of that game at a national bar/burger chain of some kind (Fuddruckers?) on Comm Ave in Allston.

I'd try to guess, but I think about 50 different places have come and gone in that area since then.  30 or so have come and gone since my days.

edit: And am I the only one who, with the way things have gone lately, feels like this happened much longer than 25 years ago?

Edited by shrader

Although one of my favorite calls, it comes from a time that I wasn't following the Sabres. I was living in Detroit at the time and just starting to following hockey again via the Red Wings.

Glad to see you've finally got on board.  The next step is to stop reading his dreck entirely.

I never have. One of the benefits of being a Buffalo expat is I don't have easy exposure to Buffalo media. That's not always a good thing but in this case it is.

Although one of my favorite calls, it comes from a time that I wasn't following the Sabres. I was living in Detroit at the time and just starting to following hockey again via the Red Wings.

I never have. One of the benefits of being a Buffalo expat is I don't have easy exposure to Buffalo media. That's not always a good thing but in this case it is.

Not a big fan of judging for yourself?

Is anyone else sad that this is damn near the greatest moment in almost 50 years of Sabres hockey?

edit: And am I the only one who, with the way things have gone lately, feels like this happened much longer than 25 years ago?

Feels like yesterday.  I'm old.

Is anyone else sad that this is damn near the greatest moment in almost 50 years of Sabres hockey?

Most exciting, in a storm the field and tear down the goal posts because we finally beat Miami sort of way, but not among the top 3 or 4 greatest all time.

Ended 10 years of 1st round playoff futility.  Look at how we celebrated the Bills just getting in last season.  And how we'll celebrate whenever then next time the Sabres get in.   I guess low standards of acceptance has been our thing more often than not.

Caught this for the first time on Sabres "goal a day" on Twitter, but could not post the link here directly. So I found the camera feed on YouTube. At the ~:17 mark, Rip gets left hanging. HARD.

Also, I'd never heard a version of this clip end with Rick asking "Ohhh. How do you spell second round?!"

https://twitter.com/SabresGoalADay/status/988798002604232705

So, it seems like YMMV on those series-ending calls. They're not all going to be "Are you ready, Legion of Doom?!" or "Now do you believe?!" (which was followed by the awful "scary good" bit) or whatever that call about Jimmy Hoffa was (maybe that was not a series ender?). Sometimes, it's Rick wondering how to spell simple words.

Also: Moog didn't stick around for the handshake?

Edited by That Aud Smell

Was Hasek injured?  I don't recall that.  He was just the backup, is all.  And Muckler was not going to start anyone but Fuhr.

No, just the team as a whole.  I know Mogilny broke his leg in that series.  Hadn't we already lost LaFontaine and Andreychuk at that point too?

No, just the team as a whole. I know Mogilny broke his leg in that series. Hadn't we already lost LaFontaine and Andreychuk at that point too?

Yep to Lafontaine. Andy was gone.

After Mayday, it’s the thing I remember most about thoseplayoffs.

That and falling for Yuri Khymylev and watching Dale Hawerchuk playing perhaps the best hockey I’d ever seen from someone in a Sabres uniform.

Edit: checked the stats. Alex and Pat played in 7 games each.

Could have sworn they were knocked out earlier.

Edited by dudacek

Yep to Lafontaine. Andy was gone.

After Mayday, it’s the thing I remember most about thoseplayoffs.

That and falling for Yuri Khymylev and watching Dale Hawerchuk playing perhaps the best hockey I’d ever seen from someone in a Sabres uniform.

Edit: checked the stats. Alex and Pat played in 7 games each.

Could have sworn they were knocked out earlier.

Right, Andreychuk was traded for Fuhr.  Nice brainfart there from me.

And if Mogilny and LaFontaine played the same number of games, does that mean they both got hurt in the same game?  Or did LaFontaine come back at the end of the series?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.