Botterill End Of Year Presser: Wednesday, 2pm EDT

WildCard

No, I’m not. My point is I think people are reading to much into Jbot’s decision to move out some of the core. Our D is already missing two top 4 D. Trade Risto and now you only have Scandella. I like Guhle but he isn’t putting up 40+ points next season. Same hold true for ROR, Casey isn’t ready for that role. He may not even be ready for the NHL next season. If Taylor Hall only brought back Adam Larssom, what does ROR garner?

It’s much more telling that he harped on the bad goaltending and said he needs help for Ullmark. If I’m Lehner I’m calling the real estate company and moving vans.

I think there will be more significant changes than you may believe

I took the Moulson thing to be of the "Did you enjoy the AHL? I ask because it's that or retirement next season" variety, not the "Hey we might have a spot for you" variety.

Yep. Depending on how he's liking California it's possible he retires on July 2nd after he gets his $1 million signing bonus. The rest of us schlubs would never walk away from $2 million, but a guy who has made just over $37 million over his NHL career may be willing to rather than continuing to ride buses in the AHL.

No, I’m not. My point is I think people are reading to much into Jbot’s decision to move out some of the core. Our D is already missing two top 4 D. Trade Risto and now you only have Scandella. I like Guhle but he isn’t putting up 40+ points next season. Same hold true for ROR, Casey isn’t ready for that role. He may not even be ready for the NHL next season. If Taylor Hall only brought back Adam Larssom, what does ROR garner?

It’s much more telling that he harped on the bad goaltending and said he needs help for Ullmark. If I’m Lehner I’m calling the real estate company and moving vans.

Taylor hall was traded by 1 of the most incompetent GMs in the league. Not a good comparable.

It's not good, but it set a precedent. If nothing else, it certainly makes Dmen trades more difficult, even if they don't turn out quite so lopsided.

There has to have been a market correction since then. Especially after Hall wins an MVP and Larsson is, well, still Larsson

Edited by Jokertecken

Those vans are going to have to be spectacular to get his stuff across the Atlantic to where he'll be playing next season.

Was Scandella the market correction? I'd say he's on about the same level as Larsson, maybe a hair behind.

Scandella would be one of them I'm sure. I'm sure other GMs look also saw how badly the Strome-Eberle trade ended for Edmonton, and realized what the rest of us have known for years: Chiarelli is a moron

What’s Jbot definition of “core?” Bogo and Lehner were acquired to be part of the core. Larsson, Girgensons and McCabe are long tenured Sabres. Are they therefore core players?

My guess if Larsson, Girgensons and McCabe are much more likely to be traded then ROR, KO, and Risto. I also suspect that the pieces of the core he is changing are Lehner and Bogo. Lehner won’t be tendered and Bogo will be bought out. Another 2 TM players sent packing.

What evidence do you have that JBot is considering buying out Bogosian?

You’ve stated the case for why he should, but I haven’t seen any evidence the Sabres feel the same way.

Botterill wants Guhle and Nelson to be playing in the third pair. Maybe he thinks Bogo can ease their minutes.

Botterill wants more people to step up and be leaders. Bogo was named an assistant captain so they like his attitude.

Botterill doesn’t like the culture of losing. Bogo wasn’t around enough this year to contribute to that.

Botterill wants a more mobile defence. Bogo is a strong skater who prefers a Housley style active game.

Botterill wants depth and people fighting for jobs. Like him or not, Bogo can be a factor there.

Botterill wants people to do more to ensure their health. If he was talking about Bogo, why if he plans to cut him loose?

This best argument for buying out Bogo is cap space, but we’ve heard nothing about that being a Botterill concern.

I’m tired of Bogo too, but...

Edited by dudacek

I think there will be more significant changes than you may believe

How much more change do you want?

Kane and Moulson are already gone. Opening day players Tennyson and Griffith have already been banished to the AHL.

Pouliot, Josefson, Lehner, Johnson, and Nolan are as good as gone. That’s already 9 players from the opening day 23 man roster who won’t be here next season.

Bogo, Falk, Antipin, Baloo, McCabe, Larsson and Girgensons are also probably on the chopping block. If Jbot gets rid of these 7, that’s a turnover of 16 players from the start of the season. I’d argue, that qualifies for significant change.

Taylor hall was traded by 1 of the most incompetent GMs in the league. Not a good comparable.

Did you see what are rookie GM failed to get for Kane, who was arguably the best player available at the deadline? Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Kane and Moulson are already gone. Opening day players Tennyson and Griffith have already been banished to the AHL.

Pouliot, Josefson, Lehner, Johnson, and Nolan are as good as gone. That’s already 9 players from the opening day 23 man roster who won’t be here next season.

Bogo, Falk, Antipin, Baloo, McCabe, Larsson and Girgensons are also probably on the chopping block. If Jbot fets rid of these 7, that’s a turnover of 16 players from the start of the season. I’d argue, that qualifies for significant change.

Did you see what are rookie GM failed to get for Kane, who was arguably the best player available at the deadline?

Are we already forgetting that there was only one serious offer ever made for teams, that teams were not interested in adding him before the deadline despite Botterill asking, and that the serious offer made is the one we had to take?

Or is it our expectation that the GM jedi-mind-tricks other GMs into giving him what they want, and assuming all sorts of without evidence still?

Bogo, Falk, Antipin, Baloo, McCabe, Larsson and Girgensons are also probably on the chopping block. If Jbot gets rid of these 7, that’s a turnover of 16 players from the start of the season. I’d argue, that qualifies for significant change.

Did you see what are rookie GM failed to get for Kane, who was arguably the best player available at the deadline?

I want Pomminstein and Okposo gone, and RoR flipped for a faster, comparable piece. 

Are we already forgetting that there was only one serious offer ever made for teams, that teams were not interested in adding him before the deadline despite Botterill asking, and that the serious offer made is the one we had to take?

Or is it our expectation that the GM jedi-mind-tricks other GMs into giving him what they want, and assuming all sorts of ###### without evidence still?

I'm with him on that. I still say that return was garbage. Danny O'Reagn will never amount to anything more than Paille

I want Pomminstein and Okposo gone, and RoR flipped for a faster, comparable piece. 

I'm with him on that. I still say that return was garbage. Danny O'Reagn will never amount to anything more than Paille

The return for Kane was definitely garbage. But there's a difference between that and assuming he could have done better had he played things differently.

I don't like the return either, but the only information we got, spanning months, was consistent with the idea that nobody wanted to add Kane before the deadline, and that only one serious proposal was even put together THEN.

Assuming anything otherwise is just creating straw men to bitch about. Objectively, it is making stuff up and then throwing a fit about it.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Or is it our expectation that the GM jedi-mind-tricks other GMs into giving him what they want, and assuming all sorts of ###### without evidence still?

No is forgetting that Jbot said SJ’s was the only serious offer at the deadline. I’m sorry but, as much as I like Jbot and believe he’ll eventually turn the Sabres around, the statement is much to self serving and avoids the discussion of the weeks leading up to the deadline when TSN and others were reporting that Jbot wasn’t willing to negotiate on his price. His insistence of 3/4 pieces for Kane likely chilled the market for Kane. Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The return for Kane was definitely garbage. But there's a difference between that and assuming he could have done better had he played things differently.

I don't like the return either, but the only information we got, spanning months, was consistent with the idea that nobody wanted to add Kane before the deadline, and that only one serious proposal was even put together THEN.

Assuming anything otherwise is just creating straw men to bitch about. Objectively, it is making stuff up and then throwing a fit about it.

I just think he should have moved him earlier is all. There was months of reports saying he wasn't going to get the moon he asked for, but there must have been some middle ground between what he got and what he wanted, IMO

Prepare yourself for great disappointment on that front.

Most likely. But how sweet would that be?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.