Defense Next Year

GASabresIUFAN

Still leaves, Risto, McCabe, Scandella, Nelson, Pilut, Dahlin, Guhle.

How many of those guys are top 4 on a playoff team. Getting the quantity (depth) is a great thing. But 2 subpar defenders doesn't make 1 top 4. We were atrocious defensively last year,things are on the upswing, but I think JBot would gladly add another quality defender

How many of those guys are top 4 on a playoff team. Getting the quantity (depth) is a great thing. But 2 subpar defenders doesn't make 1 top 4. We were atrocious defensively last year,things are on the upswing, but I think JBot would gladly add another quality defender

3 of them. Potentially 4 of them

We have a lot of defensemen, but outside of Dahlin, Scandella, and Risto, they're either Nelson (a 7D that plays 6D with injuries) or freaking terrible. You don't let that number stop you from adding guys that can contribute to winning hockey.

Right. It's the same story with out forwards. We have the top end talent, now we need the depth. The good news is, that should be the easy, and faster part to pull off; adding depth

Guhle and Pilut are terrible?

Guhle should start in Rochester. He can skate fast, and had no idea what he was doing in his own zone for the entirety of his time up here, and I even remember you agreeing with me on that at the time. 

Pilut? Wut? The guy we haven't signed yet, and nobody has seen a second of outside of one highlight video?

We are in the market for any defensive upgrade, with known, ready to play talent, that we can get.

Guhle should start in Rochester. He can skate fast, and had no idea what he was doing in his own zone for the entirety of his time up here, and I even remember you agreeing with me on that at the time. 

Pilut? Wut? The guy we haven't signed yet, and nobody has seen a second of outside of one highlight video?

We are in the market for any defensive upgrade, with known, ready to play talent, that we can get.

Which makes trading Ristolainen insane to me

We have a lot of defensemen, but outside of Dahlin, Scandella, and Risto, they're either Nelson (a 7D that plays 6D with injuries) or freaking terrible. You don't let that number stop you from adding guys that can contribute to winning hockey.

Bogosian’s warts have been discussed to death and McCabe had a very poor season.

But this has become like the Reinhart bashing in December.

He has an awful contract and he is not “available” enough, but Bogosian is a legitimate NHL 4/5 in the 60 games he typically plays.

More importantly, McCabe looked like a solid 4/5 as well last season before playing the entire year this year hurt.

He is 24 and is entering his fourth season. It would be ridiculous to write him off.

Falk, Fedun, Tennyson and Gorges are freaking terrible, Antipin and Beaulieu were freaking terrible last year.

Guhle and Nelson remain unproven.

I don’t want Bogosian and McCabe as my second pair, but they could be a solid third.

People talk about them like they’re Messy Balls.

Edited by dudacek

Bogosian’s warts have been discussed to death and McCabe had a very poor season.

He has an awful contract and he is not “available” enough, but Bogosian is a legitimate NHL 4/5 in the 60 games he typically plays.

For importantly, McCabe looked like a solid 4/5 as well last season before playing the entire year this year hurt.

He is 24 and is entering his fourth season. It would be ridiculous to write him off.

Falk, Fedun, Tennyson and Gorges are freaking terrible, Antipin and Beaulieu were freaking terrible last year.

I don’t want Bogosian and McCabe as my second pair, but they could be a solid third.

Nahhhh...they're terrible. :P 

From the right, it's easier to protect the puck moving to the center as a lefty.

Unless you are a guy like Crosby who is dominant on his backhand.

More importantly, McCabe looked like a solid 4/5 as well last season before playing the entire year this year hurt.

I agree with all of this but Bogosian. He’s freaking terrible.

Edited by Thorny

1) McCabe isn't terrible.  We have all seen enough good hockey from McCabe to know he is a capable NHL D.  

2) Bogo however is terrible.  He honestly hasn't played well since 2015-16 and with a further diminished role this season, if he comes back, I highly doubt we get anything out of him.  I guess it's possible that this latest surgery fixed the problem and he'll miraculously become the player he was so briefly in 2015-16, but don't count out it.  I doubt Jbot is either.  It makes no sense to bring him and his $6 mill salary back.  It's time to give the younger players a chance.  The only thing in Bogo's favor is that he is a RD and with McCabe L, Dahlin L, Guhle L, and Pilut L we could use a R shot or two. 

Maybe a trade this summer is McCabe for a RD?

Like the limited groups of forwards guaranteed to return, I think there are only 3 D guaranteed to be in Buffalo next season - Ristolainen, Scandella and Dahlin.  Risto is a young RD who scores 40 pts.  You can't replace him in trade.  

Guhle can still be sent down.  Pilut hasn't signed yet.  Bogo is injured.  McCabe is coming off a mediocre season and on a cheap contract.  Baloo was terrible and has only a year left on his deal.  Bottomline, even with Dahlin we are still short a top 4 D.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

No. He's an NHL 4 for about 20 games, and an NHL 6 for about 20, and an NHL 7 for the other 20. Bogosian being hurt all year has made people forget how bad he actually is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.