Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

17 hours ago, WildCard said:

Eh he can break tackles and is a good runner. He really is just Can Newton

If he becomes Cam Newton we should all be excited. MVP and Super Bowl appearance at age 27.

Matt Stafford might be a more realistic target, though. He’s not nearly the runner Cam is.

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If he becomes Cam Newton we should all be excited. MVP and Super Bowl appearance at age 27.

Matt Stafford might be a more realistic target, though. He’s not nearly the runner Cam is.

Matt Stafford is a much, much better QB than Cam Newton. Allen makes the same throws and decisions as Cam does, Matt Stafford is a legitimate pocket passer 

8 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Matt Stafford is a much, much better QB than Cam Newton. Allen makes the same throws and decisions as Cam does, Matt Stafford is a legitimate pocket passer 

Stafford is better than Cam (Cam was actually nearly “bad” last year). Whether they contribute positively to their teams at a similar level could be a different conversation, but I just meant stylistically. I think Allen makes similar throws to Stafford and decisions as Cam.

Edited by Hoss

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Stafford is better than Cam (Cam was actually nearly “bad” last year). Whether they contribute positively to their teams at a similar level could be a different conversation, but I just meant stylistically. I think Allen makes similar throws to Stafford and decisions as Cam.

I disagree. I think stylistically Allen is similar to Cam; boom or bust plays with the ability and nature to run the ball. Stafford is a more prototypical QB IMO

Just now, WildCard said:

I disagree. I think stylistically Allen is similar to Cam; boom or bust plays with the ability and nature to run the ball. Stafford is a more prototypical QB IMO

I don’t think “nature to run the ball” is accurate. Nature to run tells me you’d be running 100+ times a year. That’s guy’s like Cam Newton, Tyrod Taylor, Lamar Jackson and very few others. Allen ran in college because of the playbook and a putrid offensive line. He had the same college coach as Carson Wentz who is ran a bunch in college but is now more of a “can use his legs to make plays” guy instead of “nature to run.”

Anyone worried about what Rosen looked like: made one good play (low snap, pocket not steady so he stepped up and to the side to deliver a 21 yard strike). Finished 6/13 for 41 yards (so outside of the one good play he was 5/12 for 20 yards.

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Anyone worried about what Rosen looked like: made one good play (low snap, pocket not steady so he stepped up and to the side to deliver a 21 yard strike). Finished 6/13 for 41 yards (so outside of the one good play he was 5/12 for 20 yards.

Looks like that's because his line was getting destroyed

Just now, Hoss said:

Allen dealt with the same. I imagine these teams are smart enough to give them some run with the first teams even if they’re not likely to start.

Respectfully Allen's line held up way better than Rosen's. Rosen legitimately doesn't even have time to breath back there

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Respectfully Allen's line held up way better than Rosen's. Rosen legitimately doesn't even have time to breath back there

Watching that Rosen had several opportunities with a clean pocket. One he gets his full drop back and take one step up before someone touches him and it was incomplete. Another he threw a pick six (corner dropped it). Another he threw into triple coverage for an incompletion. His first throw was a completion with a clean pocket (hit as he throws but play design was for him to take a short drop and get it out).

The last two are good throws where his receiver does him no favors. Clean pockets but and good throw where no adjustment was made.

With all the usual stipulations on what you can and can't see in preseason games, 

Allen's footwork has absolutely improved. 

Allen's pocket presence was outstanding compared to what I was expecting. It was there more than I've seen from a bills throwing QB in a while. The way he stepped up into a few collapsing pockets had me grinning ear to ear.

In Wyoming, there were no pockets to collapse - I watched every throwing play he had last season thanks to the miracle of youtube (that's the binge that changed my mind from absolutely detesting the pick to being fine with seeing where it goes) and when he was scrambling it was because before the ball had even hit his fingers, the DTs were both behind their guys ready to sack him. You cannot emphasize enough how bad his line was. 

Of course, our 3rd stringers were quite bad for him too, I hope he gets some game time with the 1s. 

Then I hope he is shut down for the entire season, so he can learn, learn, learn and practice, practice, practice. He has tools. He's fixing his footwork, there is already improvement, and with it will come more stable accuracy. His accuracy problems, even in college, had nothing to do with innate accuracy and everything to do with sloppy feet and hips. (His throwing motion is excellent, which is nice cough cough Darnold) He won't be Aaron Rodgers, but he's going to be able to complete enough of his throws to be a starter in this league. Treat the asset like the gold that it is, develop him right. 

30 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Good breakdown on Allen

1) Our line is awful

2) Allen was actually pretty accurate when he made the right decision

3) The dude just does not go through his reads, at all

Again, the accuracy got all the hype pre-draft because it was easy to see, but this stuff was always as big (if not bigger) of a problem. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

What gives me confidence in the Bills going forward is how much this team changed even after breaking the drought. Beane and Co. could've easily just rested on that, but they knew they weren't going anywhere near prolonged and meaningful success as constructed.

And I don't want to get way ahead of ourselves here but there's a pretty good chance this team is going to have even bigger changes next offseason. Looking at contracts some guys that seem to make sense on the chopping block:

LeSean McCoy: save $6,425,000 on a $9,050,000 salary if cut

Jerry Hughes: save $7,500,000 on a $10,400,000 salary if cut

Charles Clay: save $4,500,000 on s $9,000,000 salary if cut

Kyle Williams: seems very likely to be his last year

Kelvin Benjamin, Lorenzo Alexander and Vontae Davis are the key free agents.

They're going into next offseason with $70M in cap space (second in the league behind the Jets at $78M) and the three cuts above get them to nearly $90M.

This is a big part of why I think this current season is mostly one for building on the few young guys they've got.

And the most obvious question after seeing all of that... how does next season's free agency class shape up?  Mack and Beckham are the most obvious potential free agents as of today, but once you move beyond re-signings and franchise tags, who is likely to be available?

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

And the most obvious question after seeing all of that... how does next season's free agency class shape up?  Mack and Beckham are the most obvious potential free agents as of today, but once you move beyond re-signings and franchise tags, who is likely to be available?

Haven't looked, but it also opens us up to take a bad contract for assets. The Texans gave up a 2nd to get rid of Osweiler. Something like that. Plus, we don't have to use it, can always bank it and roll it over. 

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Haven't looked, but it also opens us up to take a bad contract for assets. The Texans gave up a 2nd to get rid of Osweiler. Something like that. Plus, we don't have to use it, can always bank it and roll it over. 

Does that happen much in the NFL though?  Your example is the only one I can think of.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Mack is the most intriguing one because of a previous stated desire to play here.

Others that fit what we’ll need:

Le’Veon Bell is almost guaranteed to be available

Geno Atkins and Jadeveon Clowney.

Ali Marpet highlights a good list of guards.

Beane has made most of his work via trade, though.

15 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Again, the accuracy got all the hype pre-draft because it was easy to see, but this stuff was always as big (if not bigger) of a problem. 

And the faster the game gets, the harder it is to teach him to go through his progressions. Has there been a QB of recent memory that was taught to do this?

50 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Beane has made most of his work via trade, though.

So many of those moves were made to create the upcoming cap space, so you'd have to think that approach will change.  I'll also be curious to see how it changes once he no longer has many of Whaley's guys left to ship away.  Maybe he'll be fine unloading his own players in the same way, but only time will tell.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

And the faster the game gets, the harder it is to teach him to go through his progressions. Has there been a QB of recent memory that was taught to do this?

I have no idea whether he's always just hitting his first read, or what. But given that he's officially been a professional for a few fresh weeks, and further given that patience has been preached for his development (long (enough) may that last!), might we pump the brakes on an apparent conclusion that Allen can't work through a progression?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.