Scandella Risto

Baloo Tennyson

McCabe Antipin (Bogo on IR) (Falk)

Lehner Johnson

Next season so far

Erod Eichel KO

Wilson ROR Sam

Svechnikov Mittelstadt Nylander

Bailey Girgensons Baptiste (Pominvile, Fasching)

Scandella ???

McCabe Risto

Nelson Guhle

Baloo (Bogo on IR)

Ullmark ???

I like this lineup better already, and we all know this won’t be the lineup come Oct, but it is a step in the right direction.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Would you offer UFA Right handed D John Carlson a 5 year $35 million contract? AAV of $7 million. 

I know a lot of people would prefer to get the other Karlsson, but this would be just a signing and not have to give up a roster player.

I would then use ROR to land a couple of solid, speedy forwards.

Defense would look like

Scandella- Carlson

Guhle- Risto

McCabe- Nelson

Extra- Beaulieu 

Buy out Bogo or send him to Rochester

Would you offer UFA Right handed D John Carlson a 5 year $35 million contract? AAV of $7 million. 

I know a lot of people would prefer to get the other Karlsson, but this would be just a signing and not have to give up a roster player.

I would then use ROR to land a couple of solid, speedy forwards.

Defense would look like

Scandella- Carlson

Guhle- Risto

McCabe- Nelson

Extra- Beaulieu 

Buy out Bogo or send him to Rochester

I would absolutely give Carlson that contract.

The problem is some team could very well give him 7 for 50+.

Carlson is one of my favorite under appreciated D in the NHL. His 68 pts this past season was unbelievable and also probably put hi out of our budget. Also I dont see how Wash can let him walk. I also think we need another top 4 D who will keep the other team from scoring. That is why I favor DeHaan over either Karlsson/Carlson. He is slight younger, cheaper and a good fit.

We will not be able to sign ANY big name free agents to a team that has admitted it is a losing culture. The only top players who would be willing to sign would be ones that don't care about winning (any more) and just want a fat pay day to end their careers.

Maybe we can overpay some lesser competitors like Riley Nash or somebody similar, but this team must repair itself with youth from within for now. 

I get hockey related emails and one of them was from hockeyperformance.com where they were talking about a summer program for bantams and juniors. They wrote about how unique the program was and mentioned that the strength coach is the winningest strength coach in hockey history, Mike Vasalani, having been part of 3 Stanley Cups.

They went on about how important it is to have "hockey-specific strength"as the crucial underlying physical foundation to truly be able to play the game.

I looked at the Sabres strength and conditioning coaches and their experience:

http://strengthperformance.com/profile/JohnJTAllaire 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ed-gannon-phd-14560a29

John Allaire's previous experience was as a strength and conditioning assistant with the Sabres since 2012 and before that with the Bills and several college football teams.

Ed Gannon's previous experience is with rugby in England.

So Bantams and Juniors get a chance to work with a three-time Stanley Cup strength coach and the Sabres...? They get to work with two men who have no hockey-specific strength and conditioning background. No wonder several of the players have hired their own strength coaches.

Seems odd at the professional level that they don't have coaches in these crucial strength positions with any NHL hockey experience whatsoever, unseasoned at the specific types of strength and conditioning it takes to win at the NHL level. 

It makes me think that the organization (which may be changing under Botterill, we'll see) has been behind the eight ball in strength and conditioning for many years. 

Who knows how many other hockey departments feature people who don't have experience at their jobs at an NHL level. GM and Coach for one and the GM before that too...Chris Hajt...Maybe I've just scratched the surface. I wonder who hired these people and what the criteria was. 

ALSO, sorry about this and don't mean to offend but...Rip Simonick should retire. 

We have a $10 million locker room -- but the arena is falling apart. Crucial people in charge are inexperienced at their jobs. There's a good-ole boy network firmly in place. And the owner is a half-wit who's losing interest in the team.

This is probably just the beginning of what has been ailing the amateur organization known as the Buffalo Sabres.

Edited by Marvelo

Just wonder what botts will do if we don't land Dahlin. Got a feeling he will go for a D man even if we are 2nd or 3rd going into the draft.

Hope he doesn't as we cant pass up on drafting Svechnikov or Zadina

He did mention they need to get faster on the Wings, Svechnikov definitely fits that mold, Zadina isn’t as fast so a Defenseman might be a possibility at 3.

We certainly are beset by injuries year after year. I don’t know if the strength coach is the problem or just dumb bad luck, bug that is one area of necessary improvement.

He grabs Zadina at 3. If we are stuck at 4 then anything is possible.

Friendly bet if the Sabres draft #3? I say he takes Hughes over Zadina.

I think everything will go slow for a while.

1st: We need the lottery to happen, if you get Dhalin there is no need to sign Carlsson.  (68pts he is looking at 8 mill per season)

2nd:Until Tavares signs, the entire market will be slow for certain teams.    Canucks, leafs, sabres, wings, Sharks, canadiens.

3rd: After that you can decide what to do with Bogo, McCabe and how to slot the rest of your D.

Edited by blåbär

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.