Sabres' 50th anniversary

PASabreFan

Harrington wrote: "The bet here is that what fans the Sabres have left will have to wait one more year before the team embarks upon its rebranding of the building for the 2019-20 celebration of the Sabres' 50th anniversary."

The Sabres' first game was in October 1970. The 2020-2021 season will be their 50th.

So I guess I don't get it.

Sure you get it.

Harrington is an idiot.  What's not to get?

He's a lot of things but not that. Maybe he just took a guess on what season will be the 50th. I don't think the Sabres have announced anything yet. The only logic I can see if 2019-2020 is the anniversary season is that they'd be saying the 2004-2005 season happened, there just weren't any games. Or... 2020 is the 50th anniversary year, and since 2020 is part of the 2019-2020 season, you can start celebrating early. I'm betting they want to have the anniversary season ASAP so they can sell a bunch of new sweaters with yet another shade of blue.

Harrington wrote: "The bet here is that what fans the Sabres have left will have to wait one more year before the team embarks upon its rebranding of the building for the 2019-20 celebration of the Sabres' 50th anniversary."

The Sabres' first game was in October 1970. The 2020-2021 season will be their 50th.

So I guess I don't get it.

Royal blue?

Well.. yes Harrington is an idiot, simply for writing "what fans the Sabres have left".

The proper anniversary for the Sabres is to celebrate the 50 years from the day they formed the team and began training camp.  So, that would September 2020 and that entire season would be the 50th year of the Sabres.  The Sabres existing during the lockout so it's still their 50th year.

For reference the Buffalo Bills celebrated their 50th Anniversary in the 2009 Season, when their Augural Season was in 1960.

Though it wasn't their 50th "anniversary" it was their 50th season, so celebrating 50 years in '09 makes sense.

Celebrating 50 years only 49 years in & only 49 seasons in just reeks of Russ Brandon.

• 3 weeks later...

From a story today on possible arena renovations.

Rumblings continue that the Sabres may be targeting some renovations for the 2019-20 season, which is expected to be the celebration of the club's 50th anniversary.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/01/sabres-agree-that-keybank-center-needs-an-extreme-makeover/

2019 will be their 50th year in the league?

It would be their 50th season in the league unless you want to quibble about counting lockout year. Therefore, yes, it’s their 50th year.

Most people celebrate anniversaries a year after an event took place so October of 2020 will be the 50th anniversary of opening night.

I knew it was their 50th (calendar) year. I was asking if that's the logical basis behind starting the celebration in that year (2019).

I opened a KeyBank Center thread, so let's move that chit chat over there.

Has the arena gotten that bad? I haven't been there in a few years

Seats are dirty and damaged.

Bathrooms don't have hot water--and good luck finding soap and paper towels after the start of the second period.

The food is horrible, unhealthy, and behind what other arenas are doing.

So yeah.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.