A Trade that never happened, Boston and Buffalo Draft Day 2015

Brawndo

Wild mentioned how on Friedman’s 31 Thoughts there were trades in the works that never materialized for multiple reasons. One that was brought up on Draft Day 2015 by Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe was the the Bruins were offering their three first round picks for the second overall. Assuming these would be the players picked would having Kyle Connor, Matt Barzal and Brock Boeser as a top line be better then than having Jack?

Food for thought.

I choose Jack because he is on my team and there would have been a revolt had Murray may that deal after the Tank Season and these might be horrible reasons

I still love Jack either way

I would have done 3 firsts plus Marchand, not the 3 firsts by themselves. 

I then would have taken Barzal, Boeser, and some defenseman. 

This is in hindsight, though. At the time? Naw.

Realistically, the only trade that would have budged us off Jack is probably McDavid for Jack ++.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Well you know you could make a strong argument for that if they would have picked those 3 guys but odds are they wouldn't have. Maybe one of them at most and that wouldn't be good enough. I mean Boston picked different guys and although Jake DeBrusk seems like a decent player he's no Jack Eichel for sure.

So given Murray's track record on drafting I'm pretty sure those picks would have been wasted. 

Well you know you could make a strong argument for that if they would have picked those 3 guys but odds are they wouldn't have. Maybe one of them at most and that wouldn't be good enough. I mean Boston picked different guys and although Jake DeBrusk seems like a decent player he's no Jack Eichel for sure.

So given Murray's track record on drafting I'm pretty sure those picks would have been wasted.

Murray’s trades bothered me a whole lot more than his drafting.

The first round pick for Lehner was idiotic. The trade and contract for O’Reilly in hindsight was awful too. Although at the time I’ll admit I liked it.

From a draft pick value standpoint, the trade of picks 13, 14 & 15 vs the 2nd overall favors the 3 Boston picks.  It makes sense from a player standpoint in that you can have one top 6 forward/top pairing D or 3 top 6 players/top4 D.

This is what the two good trade charts show.   

http://nhlnumbers.com/2016/5/1/is-it-worth-it-to-trade-up-in-the-nhl-draft

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

The Broadstreet chart shows 69.9 pts for the 2nd overall pick vs. 89.6 points for picks 13-15. 

The Nhlnumbers chart shows 871 pts for the 2nd overall vs 1370 pts for picks 13-15.

The problem here is that Eichel was and is a franchise center.  They don't come around very often especially at the 2nd overall pick. You often get excellent players at that pick, but rarely do you get a guy who would have been the top pick 9 years out of 10.   For a team like the Sabres, Jack was essential for the future and three mid level guys wouldn't have been enough.  

Now had this happened in 2014, Reinhart for 13-15, I'd have made that trade in a heart beat.  Sam wasn't head and shoulders better the Leon or Bennett heading into the draft, wasn't NHL readyt and the Sabres were desperate to start the rebuild by rebuilding the organization.  Who knows, maybe we'd have drafted Larkin, Pastrnak and Fabbri with those picks.

Another reason this trade wouldn't have been made is that we had three other 1st's in 2015.  Granted TM wasted them on stupid failed trades, but such is life.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

From a draft pick value standpoint, the trade of picks 13, 14 & 15 vs the 2nd overall favors the 3 Boston picks.  It makes sense from a player standpoint in that you can have one top 6 forward/top pairing D or 3 top 6 players/top4 D.

This is what the two good trade charts show.   

http://nhlnumbers.com/2016/5/1/is-it-worth-it-to-trade-up-in-the-nhl-draft

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

The Broadstreet chart shows 69.9 pts for the 2nd overall pick vs. 89.6 points for picks 13-15. 

The Nhlnumbers chart shows 871 pts for the 2nd overall vs 1370 pts for picks 13-15.

The problem here is that Eichel was and is a franchise center.  They don't come around very often especially at the 2nd overall pick. You often get excellent players at that pick, but rarely do you get a guy who would have been the top pick 9 years out of 10.   For a team like the Sabres, Jack was essential for the future and three mid level guys wouldn't have been enough.  

Now had this happened in 2014, Reinhart for 13-15, I'd have made that trade in a heart beat.  Sam wasn't head and shoulders better the Leon or Bennett heading into the draft, wasn't NHL readyt and the Sabres were desperate to start the rebuild by rebuilding the organization.  Who knows, maybe we'd have drafted Larkin, Pastrnak and Fabbri with those picks.

So would every single person not named Snow. There is no way that package would've been offered for him.

And the trade that actually was offered & turned down shows how/ that trade value charts are merely estimates of value. When a typically #1 overall pick is available, you don't give him up for mid 1st guys regardless of what the chart says.

I find these trade charts work great after you get out of the top 10 picks.  Most drafts, 2003 excepted, the value of the 20th pick heading into the draft is about the same quality player.  The biggest gaps come in those early picks.  For example, my research for 2018 shows that the top 7 this season have really better then the guys after them.  That doesn't mean the pick 21 doesn't develop better then pick 6, but heading into the draft pick 6 is clearly better.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

It is (or was, I guess) a tough call.  When you emptied the cupboards as thoroughly as Buffalo did, there is definitely alot of value in getting three middle of 1st round picks in a deep draft.  But I agree with those that argue that this wasn't a typical draft.  Then again, that offer probably never happens in a typical draft.

If you go by the mantra that the team that gets the best player wins the trade, then Boston would have won that trade.  But would we be further along with more depth of talent?  Would the difference in team success change 7-8 yrs down the road?  We'll never know.

xGMTM would have flipped the picks for magic beans. Also, there might have been actual riots had they, after putting us through the tank for the express purpose of coming off no worse than Eichel if McDavid eluded us, they passed on him in the end.

Smart hockey move or not, absolutely no way to sell, or attempt to sell that to the fans.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.