Alex Nylander Watch Thread: What's up with him?

LGR4GM

This conversation is now happening in at least 5 threads. Let's try to keep it more dedicated.  Something is clearly up with him. Is he injured? Does he care? Does he dislike Rochester/Buffalo? Is he just very young still and learning to be a professional? Should the Sabres stick it out with him? Will he go back to Europe? 

My personal feeling is a little of a and b.  I think he has some minor nagging injury and I think at times he doesn't care.  

Edited by LGR4GM

He is young, some young people easily feel they dont fit eventhough they actually do. 

I think he has issues with himself, his confidence is hurt and he most likely has huge presure on himself looking up to his big brother and how he 

is performing. Time will tell ofcourse but it does not look promising looking at Rochester that is litterly on fire this season, one would think he also would be.

I honestly believe it is his mind that is set on wrong path atm.

Edit:

This is exactly what happened with Markus Naslund, former captain of Canucks.

Finally he was called up to gm who asked wtf he was doing, and he said "Well, its ok i can go home"

Respons was basicly, "No way Markus, stop what ur doing and start playing like you know you can"

Boom, voila. 

Ofc its sounds easier said than done but i strongly believe as stated above, that Alex is trying to play like someone else and not him self and it keeps destroying his confidence without knowing whats really going on.

Edited by MODO Hockey

He is young, some young people easily feel they dont fit eventhough they actually do. 

I think he has issues with himself, his confidence is hurt and he most likely has huge presure on himself looking up to his big brother and how he 

is performing. Time will tell ofcourse but it does not look promising looking at Rochester that is litterly on fire this season, one would think he also would be.

I honestly believe it is his mind that is set on wrong path atm.

Edit:

This is exactly what happened with Markus Naslund, former captain of Canucks.

Finally he was called up to gm who asked wtf he was doing, and he said "Well, its ok i can go home"

Respons was basicly, "No way Markus, stop what ur doing and start playing like you know you can"

Boom, voila. 

Ofc its sounds easier said than done but i strongly believe as stated above, that Alex is trying to play like someone else and not him self and it keeps destroying his confidence without knowing whats really going on.

I got  destroyed in a soccer game. Kid was carded it was a brutal knee to my thigh.  Was out for about 3-4 days maybe.  Came back to practice and we were doing corner shot drills.  I kept shying away from my guy and I kept challenging very gingerly. After about the 4th time of that, the assistant coached grabbed me, pulled me aside and asked what the hell my problem was and if I was going to play scared to get the hell off the field and the team. That was all it took. My battle level went right back to normal and I finished practice strong, had one of my best games the next day. 

I'm trying to pretend Nylander doesn't exist. If he contributes in a few years great. I'm not counting on it. It's picks like that that set this franchise back enormously. Even if he was in Roch all year but playing well the hope/anticipation for next season would be back. Right now I have no hope for next year as Casey lord and savior should spend one more year in either NCAA or Roch.

The Alex Nylander Megathread. That'll teach 'em.

Would you prefer. The Rochester Americans thread, Trade Speculation thread, Can this franchise be saved thread, Jbot do something thread, and rando other threads to have this one singular conversation of "What is up with Nylander?" 

The answer is no. Considering you get all grumpy when we don't create more threads you wouldn't think you would not get grumpy when I try to create a thread to capture a sprawling conversation. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

I got  destroyed in a soccer game. Kid was carded it was a brutal knee to my thigh.  Was out for about 3-4 days maybe.  Came back to practice and we were doing corner shot drills.  I kept shying away from my guy and I kept challenging very gingerly. After about the 4th time of that, the assistant coached grabbed me, pulled me aside and asked what the hell my problem was and if I was going to play scared to get the hell off the field and the team. That was all it took. My battle level went right back to normal and I finished practice strong, had one of my best games the next day. 

Yea, exactly what im talking about. I wish this was the case with Alex, but who knows (?)

I think Modo nailed it.

Nylander strikes me as very tightly wound.

Lack of early success, extreme self-pressure, unfamiliar environment, debilitating injury - all before he turns 20 years old.

Kid is trapped inside his own head.

The Markus Naslund comparison is a great one - similar skill sets.

Naslund would also be a great person to tap as a mentor.

Nylander is more talented than any Sabre save Jack and Casey.

Transforming that talent into a useful hockey player may be Botterill’s biggest test when he talks about player development - so much potential, so far to go.

I just don't think his style of play translates into the NHL. And if he's that tightly wound, he's cream cheese in the oven soft, and he'll never make it. Just trade him and let someone else wonder what will never be

Edited by Jokertecken

I just hate trading at a low point.

It's only going to get lower

He's 19.

Which would be an okay excuse if he had looked dominant at the tournament that is specifically for players in his age group.

And he didn't even dominate. His 5v5 production was absolute garbage, and we heard the same exact complaints from the national media in that tournament as we do from the local media concerning his Rochester play all the time. Where there's smoke there's fire

Which would be an okay excuse if he had looked dominant at the tournament that is specifically for players in his age group.

He wasn’t as good as he was last year, which is a pretty good indication that there is something mental or physical or both hampering him. He was largely dominant at that tourney last year.

I’m not a Nylander fan, but given the sunk cost, if we aren’t getting the equivalent of a mid-first back in a trade, it makes more sense to put our efforts into reclaiming his value instead of discarding him at 19.

@Matt_Bove

Alex Nylander spent at least 15 minutes alone after #Amerks practice ended. Just a few minutes ago Rochester head coach Chris Taylor said Nylander has been okay, but he'd like to see him be a lot better #Sabres @WKBW

Don't care, just trade him

@Matt_Bove
Alex Nylander spent at least 15 minutes alone after #Amerks practice ended. Just a few minutes ago Rochester head coach Chris Taylor said Nylander has been okay, but he'd like to see him be a lot better #Sabres @WKBW

Don't care, just trade him

No, we are missing something. Something is going on behind the scenes with this kid. I think we should be patient. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.