What is right with the Sabres!

GASabresIUFAN

Adam Oates is probably the best example of a true setup centre.

A PPG+ guy for his career and the goal to assist ratio is 1 to 3.

EDIT TO ADD:

Many of those assists were in St. Louis feeding that dastardly (that is my current favourite word) Hull.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Maybe I am way off base in this 'new' NHL, but have not centres traditional been the set up guy for their goal scoring wingers?

Just depends on the players, really. Generally you'll find the centre on the given line is the best passser of the three. But not always.

Antipin! Every game he gets a little more comfortable, a bit more confident. I have been very impressed with his game this far considering weeks ago he couldn't speak English!

From what I've seen so far I expect him to become one of the better pick moving defenseman in the league. He has alot of learning to do yet, but the future could be very promising for him. Who knows how far along the curve he actually is but my opinion is he's just scratching the surface. Wouldn't be surprised to see him finish the season with 25-30 points. Down the road could see him with 35-50pts.

After reading Vogls article this A.M. I have very little reason for optimism. All the statistics point to a very shittty team saddled with bad players and bad contracts. Its going to be a long road back to respectability and even then the stink will linger for years.

After reading Vogls article this A.M. I have very little reason for optimism. All the statistics point to a very shittty team saddled with bad players and bad contracts. Its going to be a long road back to respectability and even then the stink will linger for years.

At least we have Botterill and not Murray

That doesn't bring me any solace at all. Six months ago it was "at least we have Murray and not Darcy". We loved him until we didn't anymore. Jason has proven nothing.

True but I think he got a better Eichel deal than Murray would have. I think Murray would have signed Sam too. Murray would not have gotten Scandella or Bowlu for the defense. Scandella has been worth it.  Bots seems more calculated. I hope it pays off. 

We were all happy to have Murray because it meant an end to Regier who we knew was incompetent. However, “straight shooter” TM proved himself equally incompetent pretty quickly.

Dumb trades, bad signings, poor drafting and a lousy roster will turn a fan base pretty quickly.

I think it was Flagg and I who debated for weeks system vs roster last season.

The immediate difference with Jbot is a value oriented approach. The hockey trade of Ennis/Foligno for Pommers/Scandella was an smart move that is working for both teams and didn’t loot our pipeline, such as it is, to do it. He made value trades (Baloo) and value depth signings (Pouliot) and didn’t throw big contracts at players, instead opting to sign them to bridge/prove it deals (Z, Larsson and Lehner). Even the draft showed a clear difference in philosophy with the drafting of only college and Euro players (we can debate the merits of this another time). TM did none of these things. The closest TM came to a hockey deal with Pysyk for Kulikov and that helped put us in cap hell last season.

I don’t know if Jbot will get us to the promise land. Like TM he is a rookie GM and will make mistakes. TM also left him a lot of expensive dead wood on the roster that may take years to completely prune.

How about the play of Scandella... now that has been a growing positive... not enough to lift the entire team but a nice addition... Now if the Sabres can find two more of him... Redmond was ok.. moves the puck decently, couple of brain farts but he and McCabe make a nice rugged pair imo.  Both are physical...and can pass the puck.  Better than Gorges, not as good a skater as Beaulieu, but can still move the puck up ice...  And a rocket of a shot that now needs to go on net...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.