Sabres Trying to Avoid Snap Decision with Reinhart

WildCard

Who do you feel has been better,

Okposo or Reinhart, pick one

ROR or Reinhart? pick one

Reinhart has been better than Okposo, but both largely ineffective. And Okposo isn't getting traded with that cap hit.

O'Reilly has been significantly better than Sam lately after both stunk it up the first few games.

Edited by Thorny

Who do you feel has been better,

Oh god, Reinhart on both accounts. 

Agreed. But

Who do you think is worth more? 

Who's position is clearly defined? 

Sam Reinhart has not been half the player ROR has been in the last few games. ROR is showing glimpses of his former self. Sam is standing in front of the goalie, as any job that requires skating and puck handling is beyond him currently.

Edit - I sure sound down on Reinhart. But I am right now. I've seen him look far more effective, and he should be taking that next step this season. Crickets so far.

I still think he can turn it around. But he's gotta start now.

Edited by Thorny

Agreed. But

Who do you think is worth more? 

Who's position is clearly defined? 

You have to pick one for your team. 

You can pick ROR or Reinhart

In a seperate universe you can pick Okposo or Reinhart. 

You only have their play from game 1 to now. 

Edit - I sure sound down on Reinhart. But I am right now. I've seen him look far more effective, and he should be taking that next step this season. Crickets so far.

I still think he can turn it around. But he's gotta start now.

Totally agree it has to start now, but I think we have seen some signs it is beginning. This is a make or break year with him. 

lol because it's way too eary to say anything. Sam had a quietly effective 1st game feeding Zemgus so Zemgus could feed the goaltender's crest. Then he sucked and Phil put him on the third line wing and encouraged him to create on his own. Since then we've seen a more assertive Sam. He still needs to get better at staying on his feet while playing the body but it's never stopped him from hanging onto the puck.

The kid needs talented wingers to reach his potential. He scored 20 as a rookie and scored 50 points as a sophomore. What does he have to do to earn his shot? O'Reilly's best offensive season came from the wing. Why is he stapled to the center spot? Sam is faster than ROR and should be working the center of the ice.

I think he needs to be moved back to Jack's wing. Pomminstein doesnt have the play making ability (vision) that Reinhart has. Saw it last night in the one shift Jack and Sam played together last night. Jack driving to net and Samson puts it right on this stick for the tip.

I remember that too. It was the first instance I can remember from this season so far where Reinhart set up a play that very easily could have gone in. He was making those passes with far more regularity last year. He's not creating, thus far.

I like Pominville with Jack though. We can count on him to reliably finish the chances Jack starts.

Edited by Thorny

lol because it's way too eary to say anything. Sam had a quietly effective 1st game feeding Zemgus so Zemgus could feed the goaltender's crest. Then he sucked and Phil put him on the third line wing and encouraged him to create on his own. Since then we've seen a more assertive Sam. He still needs to get better at staying on his feet while playing the body but it's never stopped him from hanging onto the puck.

The kid needs talented wingers to reach his potential. He scored 20 as a rookie and scored 50 points as a sophomore. What does he have to do to earn his shot? O'Reilly's best offensive season came from the wing. Why is he stapled to the center spot? Sam is faster than ROR and should be working the center of the ice.

47 points last year, but yes, point taken.

He had good linemates yesterday, and didn't do much of anything at even strength. It's for sure early, and I still have hope for him. But it's an exceptionally slow start. Yes, it's early, I'm just thinking about how nice it would have been for Sam to have that old traditional 3rd year breakout (maybe he still will) instead of us being here trying to rationalize a a poor start.

Edited by Thorny

You have to pick one for your team. 

You can pick ROR or Reinhart

In a seperate universe you can pick Okposo or Reinhart. 

You only have their play from game 1 to now. 

What?

So pick RoR or Reinhart

and pick Okposo or Reinhart

as which player I would want going forward?

does him having the team best Corsi at 58.4% make anyone feel better about him?

No.

Well, only if it's truly predictive in this case and amounts to something. If Sam Reinhart finishes the season with his current pace of 23 points, and still has a team best corsi, I don't care.

No.

Well, only if it's truly predictive in this case and amounts to something. If Sam Reinhart finishes the season with his current pace of 23 points, and still has a team best corsi, I don't care.

Do you think the team's shooting percentage while Reinhart is on the ice will remain at 2.97%? I sure don't. 

I do think Sam has gotten faster. He's still at best an average NHL skater, but he's quicker than last year.

Definitely. That's one positive I have seen. He theoretically has enough speed to better utilize the strengths of his game.

Do you think the team's shooting percentage while Reinhart is on the ice will remain at 2.97%? I sure don't.

I don't think so, but who knows what it will become? I can't argue future potential scenarios, I can only commment on what he's producing currently.

I'm not in some weird opposition to the advanced metrics, they just don't mean much to me until the results actually come.

If they are accurate predictors in this case, I'll be quick to change my tune on Sam when he comes around. Just not putting much stock in them currently when both his actual production, and the eye-test, leave me wanting much more.

Edited by Thorny

Definitely. That one positive I have seen. He theoretically has enough speed to better utilize the strengths of his game.

I don't think so, but who knows what it will become? I can't argue future potential scenarios, I can only commment on what he's producing currently.

I'm not in some weird opposition to the advanced metrics, they just don't mean much to me until the results actually come.

If they are accurate predictors in this case, I'll be quick to change my tune on Sam when he comes around. Just not putting much stock in them currently when both his actual production, and the eye-test, leave me wanting much more.

Shooting percentage is usually pretty steady at 8% or so and has traditionally ranged from 7-10% by the end of the year.

3% is suuuper unlucky and will revert back to the average.

Edited by Touched by Boyes

Shooting percentage going up will only be indicative of success if they are consistently generating a solid amount of shots on goal, though. Are they? (Actually asking)

To say nothing of the quality of the shots. I honestly meant it when I said I couldn't remember a single dangerous set-up from Sam this year ES, until he connected with Jack on that near chance.

Edited by Thorny

Shooting percentage is usually pretty steady at 8% or so and has traditionally ranged from 7-10% by the end of the year.

3% is suuuper unlucky and will revert back to the average.

????

Sam's career % is 11.8.  His rookie season he was at 13.9 and last season he fell of to 9.6.  This year he is 2 for 10 or 20%.  

Last season the Sabres as a team shot 8% which was below the league's 9%.  Foligno was our leader at 13.4.  Jack lead is shots per game, but only hit on 9.6 (same as Sam).  Kane had a career high of 10.8.  

Bottomline:  This is not a sniping team.  We don't have the guys who score consistently in the 12+% area, which is something we desperately need.  Okposo and ROR are in the low to mid 10s for their career. 

By comparison guys like Kane (12.4) and Malkin (13.4) routinely snipe at 12% or better.  Their career % is in ( ).  For this team to succeed we are going to have to generate significantly more chances then we do.

Edited by GASabresFan

What?

So pick RoR or Reinhart

and pick Okposo or Reinhart

as which player I would want going forward?

which one you think has been best from game 1-8

So id say Sam has played better then Okposo

I'd say he's tied with ror

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.