Sabres claim Jordan Nolan off waivers

SabresFanInRochester

It’s not going away entirely. Edmonton has Lucic to protect McDavid, Toronto has Martin to protect Matthews and this past offseason Pittsburgh picked up Reaves to protect Crosby. I know Lucic may be a bad example because he can contribute and play hockey but the other teams realized they need to protect their prized assets. We have no one to protect Eichel or even Risto. Last year he was all over Matthews a few times, Martin got in his face, Risto backed off and Matthews took over.

This is exactly right on...Pittsburg got tired of everyone taking liberties with Cindy and obviously GMJBotto is doing the same thing here for jack etc...you do not want Kane going off like last night with a worthless goon...and we play those teams frequently so better have someone who can fight but play too like Nolan then Evander doing it

Do these players you're talking about need a fire lit? I'm guessing they're playing very hard to make the team

I'm sure they are playing hard but none of them seem to be separating themselves from the pack. Maybe I'm mistaken but they seem like interchangeable JAGs (Just a Guy) at this point.

Nolan is JAG as well, but if we're gonna give spots to JAGs we might as well give the spots to players who are willing to drive the other team nuts. Kaleta types without the baggage and bias from the refs. Then we can send the young guys down to Rochester to develop and get more ice time.

Edited by Drunkard

I noticed it in two different leafs games where Risto was playing Matthews tough, taking the body and doing some talking. After Martin went up to him and had a few words Matthews took over. I remember thinking Risto had just been intimidated and it showed in his performance.

I just don't think it would have happened as you say. Risto is very cold when he plays. Also I distinctly remember beating the Leafs twice and losing twice.

Just checked the box scores. Matthews scored 2 goals against buffalo in 4 games. If what you say happened why wasn't Matthews more effective? I don't think Risto would back down and I don't think he did. One of those goals was in the 5-2 game we won.

Risto didn't back down, because why would he care? Maybe if Martin had fought him but Matthews was and has been ineffective when playing buffalo.

Edited by LGR4GM

I just don't think it would have happened as you say. Risto is very cold when he plays. Also I distinctly remember beating the Leafs twice and losing twice.

Just checked the box scores. Matthews scored 2 goals against buffalo in 4 games. If what you say happened why wasn't Matthews more effective? I don't think Risto would back down and I don't think he did. One of those goals was in the 5-2 game we won.

Risto didn't back down, because why would he care? Maybe if Martin had fought him but Matthews was and has been ineffective when playing buffalo.

What were Matthews point totals in the leafs two victories? What was Risto +/-? Also, Martin didn’t need to fight Risto with his reputation. He just got into his face. From that point on Risto was less effective and less physical.

What were Matthews point totals in the leafs two victories? What was Risto +/-? Also, Martin didn’t need to fight Risto with his reputation. He just got into his face. From that point on Risto was less effective and less physical.

He scored 2 points. Both goals unless i missed an assist. I don't think Risto gives two shits about anyone being in his face. Still that isn't a dominating performance by Matthews.

Matthews scored 1 goal in the 2 games Leafs won. I don't believe Ristolainen cares at all about a rando dude being in his face.

Edited by LGR4GM

Enforcers are a thing of the past. They won't make a comeback.

the goon enforcer, someone who can skate Ok, and not much else besides taking a punch are gone.

Now the fans, and teams, want grit and toughness with the fighting ability to also come with another skill whether it be faceoffs, scoring, passing, or drawing penalties. They don't want to waste cap space and a roster spot for a guy who is only on the ice for a fight...

the goon enforcer, someone who can skate Ok, and not much else besides taking a punch are gone.

Now the fans, and teams, want grit and toughness with the fighting ability to also come with another skill whether it be faceoffs, scoring, passing, or drawing penalties. They don't want to waste cap space and a roster spot for a guy who is only on the ice for a fight...

Like Peters was? Thankfully those wasted roster spots are history I hope.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.