GDT - Toronto @ Buffalo: 7pm, MSGB, WGR, 9/23/2017

LGR4GM

Seemed Housley was giving Deslauriers an opportunity to earn the 12th spot tonight as he played a ton of PK. Not sure he earned it, but he could have the edge over Moulson based on tonight's performance. Hopefully both are battling for the 13th spot.

Surprised by this next statement, but from watching 1st day of training camp & reports of the Pens game definitely want Pominville on Eichel's wing to start the season. Still want Kane & Reinhart together on the 3rd line - though not necessarily shown tonight they seem to complement each other well.

Haven't seen enough of Josefson to state this definitively, but expect to see him on the 4th line w/ Larsson & Fasching.

Moulson proved tonight he doesn't belong anywhere near Eichel's wing. And Okposo seemed to be skating on top of Eichel &/or Moulson all night. Would definitely prefer to see him back with O'Reilly.

So would still lean towards Girgensons on Moulson's wing and Pouliot by default onto O'Reilly & Okposo's wing. PLEASE have somebody step up into this role. Leaves an open spot on 3rd line RW. Hopefully somebody can legitimately step into that role to keep the 4th line intact.

What a stinker from Guhle tonight. Gorges seemed to play his way out of 7th slot as well. If Scandella is healthy, I'm pretty happy with the top 6 of Scandella - Ristolainen, McCabe - Bogosian, and Beaulieu - Antipin. Really not sure who else I'd want in that LD1 role if Marco isn't ready or, God forbid, he fits in as well as Kulikov did after he broke his tailbone.

Lehner looked like he hasn't lost the #1 role.

12 days left for them to figure it out. It could be a good thing they've got Moe-ray-all as the opener as they will force the Sabres to play the uptempo game that Housley wants and they don't have much finishing power so a bit of scariness in the Sabres own end won't be as scary as it would be against a team that CAN score, and I'd be surprised if their D has gelled yet with all the turnover. Get last year's PP together and 2 PP goals should be the difference in a 3-2 or 2-1 game.

If you hate the Leafs and never want to read anything praising them, now is the time to avert your eyes:

While I have been the biggest supporter of what the leafs had been doing, I thought their draft in 2017 was poor, despite unbelievably getting Lilgegren. My theory is the people that knew what they were doing no longer have the power they had in previous years, because their previous few years their drafting has been excellent.

Yup. If this was any indicator of what the season has in store for us I will (sadly) be the one who was right.   :P

I am not one who puts much stock in preseason in any sport. I'll wait until into November before making any kind of guess on this team. Total change of coaching and front office along with significant player changes means we need to give this time.

Agree with a lot of what Taro said about combos.

Antipin showed he's engaged and wants to make a difference. I suspect he's going to eventually be an asset.

New system or not, Lehner looked like Lehner.

Sam has to better than that. And Fasching is going to help in a depth role.

While I have been the biggest supporter of what the leafs had been doing, I thought their draft in 2017 was poor, despite unbelievably getting Lilgegren. My theory is the people that knew what they were doing no longer have the power they had in previous years, because their previous few years their drafting has been excellent.

This is entirely leaning on your model?

I think what really pisses me off about the Leafs is how lucky they've been. No team finishing last has won the lottery. Until Toronto. Nylander and Marner? If the Leafs are just a little bit worse those two seasons, they probably don't have either because they'd have taken some other player (they may have taken Marner at say 3, but no F'n way do they take Nylander if they're drafting 4th.

That's not to take away from some of the legit savvy things they've done, just that to the extent that luck matters, theirs has been all good these past few years.

This is entirely leaning on your model?

They drafted an (overager, which is good) center that doesn't score

Yeah, they drafted a 6'6" defenseman that doesn't score.

They drafted a 159 pound center that doesn't score

They drafted a high school defenseman that barely scored in high school

Now lets look at 2016

Korshkov, part of team rakish in Mom's Basement Stakes, was very good at the WJC20, probably overdrafted here (as an overager), I got him 7th round year before

Gundstrom, part of team rakish in Mom's Basement Stakes

Brooks, overager real prospect

Chebeken, overage real prospect

So in 2016, they drafted players that have qualities of players that succeed, in 2017, they didn't. I don't think it's a stretch to believe different people were responsible for selecting players.

2 things, we don't know what Housley asked them to work on in game.

Also this system is drastically different and we'll need 2 months of regular season play before it really starts coming together. We gotta hope that it does.

I really hope not or it's 7 straight years with no playoffs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.