Robin Lehner Signs 1 year deal; $4 Million

Derrico

Doohickie, Ullmark would be the starter. Even if Chad became the starter @4, that would still be cheaper then the 6 per season Lehner would want on a long-term deal.

It would be a modest savings at best.  If Lehner is making $4M and Johnson $2.5M this year, and Johnson outplays Lehner well enough to be named the starter, He'll want $5-6M next year.  The savings would come not from the starter, but from the fact that the backup would be on an entry level contract.

It would be a modest savings at best.  If Lehner is making $4M and Johnson $2.5M this year, and Johnson outplays Lehner well enough to be named the starter, He'll want $5-6M next year.  The savings would come not from the starter, but from the fact that the backup would be on an entry level contract.

He can want that all he wants, he's not getting that from any team in the league.

Been saying it a few times this offsesason, but it's so odd how, well, perfect this offseason has been for us. Almost everyone got the GM (or at least, 1 of the 3) they wanted, almost everyone got the coach they wanted, almost everyone got the draft pick they wanted, we shored up the defense, the moves in Rochester (both FO and player wise) are being praised by everyone...there hasn't been a single thing wrong with anything the Sabres have done really. It's very surreal; I keep waiting for an ankle to snap or another DUI somewhere

Not so fast, we still have Jack to extend. Plus I thought there was a pretty large segment of fans that didn't like the pick.

Lehner on the deal

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/lehner-sabres-puzzle-getting-better-piece-piece/

BTW, not sure if it's been mentioned yet or not, but Lehner states that he is an RFA next year.

It was mentioned in the other thread, but yeah, the RFA thing is clever. We basically get two cracks at the RFA signing.

His SHITE performance in shootouts has nothing to do with the defense. If you can't stop a penalty shot with decent regularity you CANNOT be a starting goalie in the NHL anymore. It costs the team too many points by the end of the season.

I sincerely hope that was sarcasm ????. The shootout doesn't belong in hockey, and a backup goalie can be brought in for shootouts. Like a closer in baseball. Worst shots allowed in the league and you're gonna rag on the goalie... always one in the group.

Let me guess, we probably "overpaid" Ottawa for him too I bet right?

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

I sincerely hope that was sarcasm . The shootout doesn't belong in hockey, and a backup goalie can be brought in for shootouts. Like a closer in baseball. Worst shots allowed in the league and you're gonna rag on the goalie... always one in the group.

Let me guess, we probably "overpaid" Ottawa for him too I bet right?

Name one top 15 goalie in the league who struggles as bad as Lehner on breakaways.   

Stopping breakaways is part of the game, it's not just shootout situations.    He's the worst I've ever seen at stopping them, he needs to show improvement in that area or pay somebody else who is better at stopping them.

Name one top 15 goalie in the league who struggles as bad as Lehner on breakaways.

Stopping breakaways is part of the game, it's not just shootout situations. He's the worst I've ever seen at stopping them, he needs to show improvement in that area or pay somebody else who is better at stopping them.

I cant, he's the worst I can think of. We shouldn't be coughing up breakaways in the first place.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

It was mentioned in the other thread, but yeah, the RFA thing is clever. We basically get two cracks at the RFA signing.

This is what makes the deal for me.

I didn't want our management to be short sighted and give a middling short term contract that exposes Lehner to UFA in case he performs to our expectations nor did I want them to be foolhardy and go big money and term with some other large signings coming up in the next two years. The fact that this contract retains Lehner's RFA status is as much a wait and see on other players on the roster as it is Lehner, and the decision on whether to go big and long term on him is based on more data about both him and the other players vying for the cap pie.

Extremely smart asset management with salary fairness to the player and a sharp eye for the big picture long term.

I cant, he's the worst I can think of. We shouldn't be coughing up breakaways in the first place.

It's inevitable, and I would hope we're aggressive enough where some more happen this year. Best Sabres team in the last 20 years laid breakways at Miller's feet like candy because they knew he could stop it, so they could play aggressively.

It's inevitable, and I would hope we're aggressive enough where some more happen this year. Best Sabres team in the last 20 years laid breakways at Miller's feet like candy because they knew he could stop it, so they could play aggressively.

Okay, solid point. I'm not advocating for more defensive play after *gasp* the DB system all I'm saying is we cant fault Lehner for last year when he was peppered with shots more than a birdshot target at the shotgun field.

I'd be interested in the stats of this. I.e. percentagely how different are goalies on the breakaway

Me too, I'm not a stat guy I just go by the layman fan's eye test but I'd like to see if Randall could do one of his awesome charts on it. I'm definitly curious to see how Lehner ranks.

Stopping breakaways is part of the game, it's not just shootout situations.    He's the worst I've ever seen at stopping them, he needs to show improvement in that area or pay somebody else who is better at stopping them.

Don't even limit it to top 15 goalies.  I looked back at the last 2 years and he's stopped a combined 2 of 14 attempts :w00t:  :w00t:  That's insane......

Enroth had a great shootout record, one of the best. I'd rather have Lehner as a starter over Enroth though.

Agreed that it's not a stat I'm using to base who my starting goalie should be.  I knew his shootout percentage was bad, I just didn't realize it was THAT bad.

Great contract!  It's a modest amount of money for a starting NHL goalie;  and it gives Lehner the opportunity to demonstrate if he can improve at shoot outs and breakways -  like them or not, shoot outs are part of the game, and a team with legitimate playoff aspirations can't afford to basically forfeit every shoot out game with the starting goalie on ice.  If he can't improve - if his woes continue,  we're not on the hook after this season.  And Lehner demonstrated enough regulation skill that he's worth giving a one season chance to improve in this important area.  

Another job well done by GMJB  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.