Robin Lehner Signs 1 year deal; $4 Million

Derrico

Again it's wait and see whether Lehner can stay healthy this season. If he stays healthy, he should switch to a regular size stick during the shootout, and not the mini stick he uses during the games. Can't hurt with his shootout record. I think a short leash looks good on Lehner. Glad Botterill has taken off the rose colored glasses on this guy.

Botterill has made some very smart moves since becoming GM

I agree.

It will be interesting: He's got a hockey background, sure, but his foundation seems to be much more in the principles of business asset management. FGMTM was just about 180 degrees from that, I think. 

I am hopeful that JBOT's approach will pay dividends. And soon.

I think at only one year of term, this deal opens the door for The Big Johnson to have an honest shot at the starting position.  He went to Calgary to have a shot as the top guy.  I wonder if part of the deal coming back to the Sabres was an indication that he would have a shot at the starting position?

Botterill has made some very smart moves since becoming GM

Been saying it a few times this offsesason, but it's so odd how, well, perfect this offseason has been for us. Almost everyone got the GM (or at least, 1 of the 3) they wanted, almost everyone got the coach they wanted, almost everyone got the draft pick they wanted, we shored up the defense, the moves in Rochester (both FO and player wise) are being praised by everyone...there hasn't been a single thing wrong with anything the Sabres have done really. It's very surreal; I keep waiting for an ankle to snap or another DUI somewhere

Been saying it a few times this offsesason, but it's so odd how, well, perfect this offseason has been for us. Almost everyone got the GM (or at least, 1 of the 3) they wanted, almost everyone got the coach they wanted, almost everyone got the draft pick they wanted, we shored up the defense, the moves in Rochester (both FO and player wise) are being praised by everyone...there hasn't been a single thing wrong with anything the Sabres have done really. It's very surreal; I keep waiting for an ankle to snap or another DUI somewhere

So true :lol:

A fair contact for both parties.

:huh:

They both agreed to it, so of course it's fair to both.  I'd be curious to see what Lehner would have asked for in arbitration as this contract isn't all that much more than his qualifying offer would have been for. 

I think at only one year of term, this deal opens the door for The Big Johnson to have an honest shot at the starting position. He went to Calgary to have a shot as the top guy. I wonder if part of the deal coming back to the Sabres was an indication that he would have a shot at the starting position?

I think at this point every goalie in the Sabres system + d4rk should have a shot at the starting goalie position.

:huh:

They both agreed to it, so of course it's fair to both. I'd be curious to see what Lehner would have asked for in arbitration as this contract isn't all that much more than his qualifying offer would have been for.

Fair in the sense that Lehner would have wanted more and the Sabres presumably would always want to pay less.

So, a little show me by the Sabres in exchange for OK I'll show you from Lehner.

His SHITE performance in shootouts has nothing to do with the defense. If you can't stop a penalty shot with decent regularity you CANNOT be a starting goalie in the NHL anymore. It costs the team too many points by the end of the season.

Wasn't he perfect on penalty shots this year? He stopped the only one I recall.

:P

Perfect contract.

My main issue was ensuring a 1-year deal, Sabres cap situation will be VERY tricky in 2018-19 season with Moulson, Pommer and Bogo all on the books and big raises in store for Eichel and Reinhart and the Kane issue.

A 1-year deal allows Sabres to go with a C Johnson-Ullmark option for goalie cap hit of <$4M/year to free up space

Perfect contract.

My main issue was ensuring a 1-year deal, Sabres cap situation will be VERY tricky in 2018-19 season with Moulson, Pommer and Bogo all on the books and big raises in store for Eichel and Reinhart and the Kane issue.

A 1-year deal allows Sabres to go with a C Johnson-Ullmark option for goalie cap hit of <$4M/year to free up space

Another smart Sabres fan from Georgia. This could very well be what JBot is thinking. Lets say that Ullmark plays awesome in Roch and Johnson plays well again here. Jbot could easily decide to save the money and go with that tandem, instead of sigining Lehner long-term. The odds of this increase is the Sabres are again out of playoff contention next season.

One thing about Jbot vs TM, Jbot was advertised as cap conscious and is, while TM spent money willy nilly and is gone because of it. I'm not surprised at all that Jbot found a way to get a cap reasonable contract with Lehner done. He'll do the same with Baloo.

Doohickie, Ullmark would be the starter. Even if Chad became the starter @4, that would still be cheaper then the 6 per season Lehner would want on a long-term deal.

Edited by GASabresFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.