Robin Lehner Signs 1 year deal; $4 Million

Derrico

He is the 27th highest paid goalie in the league. It is better than ok.

People's unfounded love for the unproven Ulmark reminds me of the love for Enroth. Let's hope people are a little more accurate this time...

I hate when people throw figures out like it matters, whether he's the 30th paid or 27th, I'm not a fan of his, if you are that's cool, I just see a bunch of inconsistency in his game, by now we should be seeing the dominance and i just don't see that enough, I'm sure some will blame the poor defense and it definitely didn't help but even when the defense was actually decent Lehner lets in some really easy saves. 

I've liked Ullmark for quite some time, he looked like he was going to break into the mold then we went and signed Johnson, I don't hate Johnson but I know what he is and will always be in the league, I don't with Ullmark and that's why I wanted to see him backup or even push for time with Lehner.

I hate when people throw figures out like it matters, whether he's the 30th paid or 27th, I'm not a fan of his, if you are that's cool, I just see a bunch of inconsistency in his game, by now we should be seeing the dominance and i just don't see that enough, I'm sure some will blame the poor defense and it definitely didn't help but even when the defense was actually decent Lehner lets in some really easy saves.

I've liked Ullmark for quite some time, he looked like he was going to break into the mold then we went and signed Johnson, I don't hate Johnson but I know what he is and will always be in the league, I don't with Ullmark and that's why I wanted to see him backup or even push for time with Lehner.

Ullmark is at that stage of his career where he needs to playing a lot. Roch is where he'll see the most rubber, it's best for his development.

Name one top 15 goalie in the league who struggles as bad as Lehner on breakaways.   

Stopping breakaways is part of the game, it's not just shootout situations.    He's the worst I've ever seen at stopping them, he needs to show improvement in that area or pay somebody else who is better at stopping them.

Shootouts are the problem not breakaways...he actually is OK when they happen in the course of a game, makinng his fair share of stops...which frustrates you even more as to why he can't do it during a shootout

Well, he just turned 26 and has had 1 full year as a starter here (since his first year here was substantially impaired by injuries). 

I certainly didn't want them to give him a long-term deal, and I think XGMTM overpaid a bit for him, but at the same time, I thought he was pretty solid last year.  I thought he showed the potential of developing into an upper-echelon NHL starter (although he could certainly go either way).  I also think if he'd made 5 saves in the shootout over the course of the season instead of zero, he'd have had an average shootout SV%, and the overall level of confidence in him here would be much higher.

Let's see what happens this year.

Shootouts are the problem not breakaways...he actually is OK when they happen in the course of a game, makinng his fair share of stops...which frustrates you even more as to why he can't do it during a shootout

Hmm, I distinctly remember him getting owned repeatedly on breakaways as well.    

Expect to see him face more breakaways in Dr. Phil's firewagon system.... we'll know soon enough if he's made any progress.

Didn't he say that with shootouts he has too much time to think and gets in his own head about them; whereas breakaways he just has to rely on experience and react

He's a very aggressive goalie, he attacks the puck.   Shooters know this and use it to their advantage on b-ways and shootouts.... that Kucherov goal was a prime example, where he didn't even need to shoot the puck... he know Lehner would be sprawling all over the place, he can't help himself.

Edited by pi2000

I have agree with PI on this. I think he's not good one n one period. I am ok with the one year deal but I hope we can stay away from as many shootouts as humanly possible.

Hmm, I distinctly remember him getting owned repeatedly on breakaways as well.    

Expect to see him face more breakaways in Dr. Phil's firewagon system.... we'll know soon enough if he's made any progress.

He's a very aggressive goalie, he attacks the puck.   Shooters know this and use it to their advantage on b-ways and shootouts.... that Kucherov goal was a prime example, where he didn't even need to shoot the puck... he know Lehner would be sprawling all over the place, he can't help himself.

Early in the season he was bad at them. Last month or so he actually passed the eyeball test on them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.