Ranking the Sabres: who are our most valuable assets?

dudacek

Sabre assets  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which Sabre asset has the most value around the league?

• Justin Bailey
    • Nick Baptiste
    • Nathan Beaulieu
    • Zach Bogosian
    • Hudson Fasching
    • Zemgus Girgensons
    • Brendan Guhle
    • Johan Larsson
    • Robin Lehner
    • Matt Moulson
    • Jason Pominville
    • Benoit Pouliot
    • Marco Scandella

Mittelstadt was also ranked higher by most scouting services heading into their drafts.

In a better draft, Alex was 6-8, Casey was 3-8.

For me, it's the want-it. The both have tremendous skills, Casey just seems more likely to impose his will.

(Small sample size)

Are we punishing Alex for being a physically immature 18 year old in a men's league on smaller ice? Now that he has put on 20 lbs, will he impose his will more often?

maybe. I just know that imposing your will on the other team is something the Sabres have lacked for a decade.

I'm honestly shocked the board would rather have Nylander than Mittelstadt, at least based on this poll. Goes to show!

I haven't voted.  But I'm pretty even between the two. I think Nylander is the better player right now, but they both are kids.

Edited by Eleven

I haven't voted.  But I'm pretty even between the two. I think Nylander is the better player right now, but they both are kids.

I feel like Casey's ceiling is higher. But it could turn out the opposite, you never know with players this young.

At this point Nylander looks soft and lazy. Not as good as his brother in Toronto who also looks pretty soft. But he is still young and he has the wheels so I won't give up on him just yet. The dream is Kane gets his head screwed on right and Alex develops desire and a scoring touch and then Jack can center those two guys into a solid top line. 

At this point Nylander looks soft and lazy. Not as good as his brother in Toronto who also looks pretty soft. But he is still young and he has the wheels so I won't give up on him just yet. The dream is Kane gets his head screwed on right and Alex develops desire and a scoring touch and then Jack can center those two guys into a solid top line. 

I don't believe Evander Kane should ever be on a line with Eichel. Kane demands the puck and I want Jack to have it. 

Middelstadt is the eighth most valuable asset of the Sabres with 40 per cent of the vote.

Most valuable assets:
1. Eichel 2. O'Reilly 3. Ristolainen 4. Reinhart 5. Kane
6. McCabe 7. Okposo 8. Middelstadt

The poll has been reset. The three young Rochester wingers  — Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching — added.

Going with Scandella this time. He was good in Minnesota and I'm looking forward to see if he can improve under Housley.

I'm torn. I think Scandella (and to a lesser extent Lehner) appear to be underrated around here.

But i wouldn't trade the 8th overall pick for Scandella, and I don't think Nylander has been disappointing for an 8th overall pick.

Therefore, Alex.

I'm torn. I think Scandella (and to a lesser extent Lehner) appear to be underrated around here.

But i wouldn't trade the 8th overall pick for Scandella, and I don't think Nylander has been disappointing for an 8th overall pick.

Therefore, Alex.

Damn, I completely forgot about Nylander since there was so much discussion about our future lord and savior, Casey Mittelstadt. I'd venture that Nylander holds substantially more trade value than Scandella, but I'll stick with my vote because he'll be helping the Sabres this season while Nylander will likely spend most of his time in Rochester. I think the vote will be close though. We'll see.

Therefore, Alex.

Do you really think we'd get a top 8 pick for Nylander if we traded him today? I doubt it. We'd be lucky to get a top 20 pick after his mediocre 1st year in the AHL.

On the other hand, we did trade a 21st pick to get an injured and unproven Lehner to be our No. 1 guy in goalie. So far it's been better then expected. If we put him on the market today, as a young, proven no. 1 goalie just entering his prime, I think we'd get at least back what we paid for him.

If their trade values are similar, who has more on ice value? Lehner or Nylander? Lehner is our No. 1 G who just had his best season as a pro or Nylander, who looks to need at least another season in the AHL and may only get an injury call up over this coming season.

Lehner has to be the choice here.

If we are going with a prospect, Guhle has to be the choice over Nylander as well. I think their trade values are similar and with a good camp Guhle has a legit chance of making this roster this season.

Edited by GASabresFan

I think most scouts are well aware Nylander was a boy playing against men last year.

Sure, he didn't have a great AHL season, but playing against his peers at the WJC he had 12 points in 7 games - he remains elite amongst his age group - Jost, Keller, Dubois, Puljujarvi, Brown, Juolevi, Sergachev, McLeod, Bean...those guys either played against lesser competition than Nylander, or failed to light things up at a higher level. Beyond Chycrun and mcAvoy's playoff, who moved past him?

I'd say if the 2016 draft was held over again, he goes right about the same spot.

Edited by dudacek

Ya, I have Nylander next, followed by Marco.

Middelstadt is the eighth most valuable asset of the Sabres with 40 per cent of the vote.

Most valuable assets:

1. Eichel 2. O'Reilly 3. Ristolainen 4. Reinhart 5. Kane

6. McCabe 7. Okposo 8. Middelstadt

The poll has been reset. The three young Rochester wingers  — Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching — added.

Mittelstadt* ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.