Ranking the Sabres: who are our most valuable assets?

dudacek

Sabre assets  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which Sabre asset has the most value around the league?

• Justin Bailey
    • Nick Baptiste
    • Nathan Beaulieu
    • Zach Bogosian
    • Hudson Fasching
    • Zemgus Girgensons
    • Brendan Guhle
    • Johan Larsson
    • Robin Lehner
    • Matt Moulson
    • Jason Pominville
    • Benoit Pouliot
    • Marco Scandella

The question here is value to the Sabres.

Mittelstadt's only value is that he could bring back assets if traded.

Guhle's value is value back in trade plus as an injury fill in on the ice.

McCabe's value is not only the trade value which would be decent, but also the 20+ minutes he plays solid defensively with some added O while on the biggest bargain contract (non-elc) on the team.

If McCabe were a forward we received a bargain at only $80k per point. By comparison we paid KO 133K per point, Kane 122K per point, ROR 136K per point. In fact, only Girgensons cost us less per point last year (72k per pt) of players not on ELCs.

Why? Why on earth would potential future value not factor into the equation? I didn't think this was only about what the player can get us next season.

On most, yes.  And going by Dudacek's criteria, I think he has to come next.  Of the players remaining, I think he'd bring back the most in a trade.

I would bet that Mittelstadt fetches more of a return from most teams in the league than McCabe, if we are basing all of this specifically on trade value.

Why? Why on earth would potential future value not factor into the equation? I didn't think this was only about what the player can get us next season.

I would bet that Mittelstadt fetches more of a return from most teams in the league than McCabe, if we are basing all of this specifically on trade value.

I think you are misinterpreting when I'm saying. In all likelihood Mittelstadt won't be playing for the Sabres this season. Therefore his only value to the Sabres this season would be the assets he brings back in trade. While this could be significant, it won't make the Sabres better on the ice in 2017-18.

Yes, that's his only value to to Sabres for THIS upcoming season. I thought we were ranking value overall?

On that note, did anyone else see Mittelstadt today? 2G, 2A against Canada. His assists were beautiful. This guy is going to be a stud. I know it's early, I've never been this impressed with a prospect not named Eichel. If he reaches his ceiling, no one in our organization is on his level (sans Eichel of course, who's the clear #1)

Yes, that's his only value to to Sabres for THIS upcoming season. I thought we were ranking value overall?

On that note, did anyone else see Mittelstadt today? 2G, 2A against Canada. His assists were beautiful. This guy is going to be a stud. I know it's early, I've never been this impressed with a prospect not named Eichel. If he reaches his ceiling, no one in our organization is on his level (sans Eichel of course, who's the clear #1)

I agree, if he and Nylander step up this season, it might free Jbot save money and let Kane walk.

McCabe is the sixth most valuable asset of the Sabres with 41 per cent of the vote.

Most valuable assets:

1. Eichel 2. O'Reilly 3. Ristolainen 4. Reinhart 5. Kane

6. Jake McCabe

The poll has been reset. Bogosian added.

I really like Guhle and Mittelstadt is really impressive at the showcase. Nylander is also a key piece of the future, but looking at what's left on the board, it probably has to come down to Scandella, Okposo and Lehner.  My thought right now sides with Lehner.  If this team makes the playoffs, Lehner will again for to play at a top 10 level.  I think he can.  In my books, we have no other goalie on the team strong enough to play all-star caliber goal.  Johnson is solid as a backup, but proved last season that he is only a backup.  Ullmark still has a way to go developmentally to be an NHL starter.  Therefore Lehner is the most valuable to the Sabres this coming season, even though he may just get replaced by Ullmark in the long-term. 

Of those remaining I'm going 

Lehner

Scandella,

Guhle,

Mittelstadt

Okposo

Maybe it's just me, there's no way I'm trading Mittelstadt for any of those others listed, in a hypothetical situation. Who fetches the most in a trade? I'll go with Casey. Maybe Okposo, if he plays a healthy year. But right now, who fetches the highest return? I voted Mittelstadt.

Maybe it's just me, there's no way I'm trading Mittelstadt for any of those others listed, in a hypothetical situation. Who fetches the most in a trade? I'll go with Casey. Maybe Okposo, if he plays a healthy year. But right now, who fetches the highest return? I voted Mittelstadt.

It's hard not to get excited by post-draft Casey, but that's mostly the fan in us being exposed to him really for the first time and seeing why he is a top-10 pick. On a more pragmatic level, he remains the 8th overall pick.

What would you rather have, the prime lottery ticket of the eighth overall pick, or a legitimate 1st line wing with years of cost certainty and outstanding character?

I said it before, KO is what you hope your 8th overall pick turns into.

Edited by dudacek

It's hard not to get excited by post-draft Casey, but that's mostly the fan in us being exposed to him really for the first time and seeing why he is a top-10 pick. On a more pragmatic level, he remains the 8th overall pick.

What would you rather have, the prime lottery ticket of the eighth overall pick, or a legitimate 1st line wing with years of cost certainty and outstanding character?

I said it before, KO is what you hope your 8th overall pick turns into.

The primary reason I have  KO "marked down" is his difficult recovery from the concussion.  If he goes the wrong way in his recovery he becomes Tyler Ennis with another 6 years at 6 mill per season.

If we vote again at the all-star break I might have a different opinion. 

Edited by GASabresFan

The primary reason I have  KO "marked down" is his difficult recovery from the concussion.  If he goes the wrong way in his recovery he becomes Tyler Ennis with another 6 years at 6 mill per season.

If we vote again at the all-star break I might have a different opinion. 

Yeah, that 6x6 is scary even if he has no lasting effects. 

It is highly unlikely at 34-35 he'll be producing 50-60 pts per season without the injury.  I'd love to see how many guys over 33 scored more then 60 pts in a season in the last decade.  My guess is we can count them on 2 hands.  

Edited by GASabresFan

Not minimizing that his contract may be a liability at 35.

Neither should I minimize the contribution he can make at 30.

The guy can play and any playoff team would love to have him.

It's got to be KO next right?

A proven commodity that had some kind of freakish injury.  I think he will be back to form this coming season.  I also agree with duda that any team, especially a playoff bound team that is poised to make a run at the cup, would gladly take him off our hands.  The return in that situation would be very good, but I'm not guessing what that would be.

There is a big asterisk next to KO and that is "if healthy." If healthy, he'd be at worst here on our list, however, he is recovering from a severe concussion that sidelined him for nearly 20 games and left him in ICU. Until he is back on the ice and shows he is back to his former self, then his "value" to this organization is a great unknown. With key healthy players like Lehner and Scandella and key prospects like Mittelstadt, Guhle and Nylander still on board, I rather vote for them over KO.

Okposo is the seventh most valuable asset of the Sabres with 48 per cent of the vote.

Most valuable assets:

1. Eichel 2. O'Reilly 3. Ristolainen 4. Reinhart 5. Kane

6. McCabe 7. Okposo

The poll has been reset. Moulson added.

Edited by dudacek

Reinhart is cheap comparatively but I just don't see the potential. I see him as a second line player at best. Just my opinion. Risto is very underrated. Only D man on the team other teams would covet. Girgensons imo has been ruined by Bylsma. He should have been and still could be a solid 3rd line center, not a winger.  

Why is Casey Middelstadt more valuable than Alex Nylander?

Alex has dominated the WJC and played in the second-best Or third-best league in the world.

Casey has done neither.

Casey is a nominee for a Nobel Prize in at least two categories.

Can you say the same about Nylander?

Since when are Lehner and Scandella journeymen?  They are two important pieces of this team; our starting goalie and our LD on our top D pairing.  These are guys who were specifically acquired to fill those roles.  

I'll look forward to seeing whether they fill them.  I like Scandella, and I think he'll make a nice second-pair D man.  Lehner, well let's see how he does outside of Abylsma's system.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.