How good the kids?

dudacek

The idea of the tank was to acquire enough good young talent to make the team competitive for 5-10 years. When competitive didn't arrive last year, we engaged in a lot of second guessing.

The point of this thread is that players generally are in their prime between the ages of 22-29.

Most of the proceeds of the tank have yet to hit that. How good do we look when they do?

Three years from now a top six could be:

Nylander (22) Eichel (23) Middelstadt (21) Reinhart (24) Okposo (32) O'Reilly (29)

Possibly complemented by Baptiste (25) Fasching (25) Asplund (22) Girgensons (27), Larsson (28), Kane (29), Bailey (25), Pu (22), Davidson (21).

Our blueline:

Ristolainen (26), McCabe (26), Guhle (23)

Possibly complemented by Scandella (30), Beaulieu (27), Antipin (27), Borgen (23)

In goal

Lehner (28), Ullmark (26), Luukkonnen (21)

Of course there are trades, free agents and players developing unexpectedly to consider, but how does this group project moving forward?

Edited by dudacek

The potential projection of that lineup is such that my first instinct is wondering what the catch will be.

That top 6 could easily be beyond that of even the Edmonton's and Toronto's of the league. If the young players reach their potential, it will be. I'm hoping, for that reason, a young player like Reinhart or Nylander isn't given up on too soon by the man in charge.

Botterill seems to be a very patient man, so my concerns in this area are fading.

The D is likely still the relative weak point. But I have more faith it'll be up to snuff when I consider the forward depth that'll help tip the scales.

If we don't become, not just a playoff team - but a perennial contender - it'll have to be the result of numerous high-talent players falling well short of expectations.

Rose-coloured glasses? Potentially.

You forgot Baptiste.

On paper, yes I believe we definitely have the talent to compete with Toronto and Edmonton in 3 years.

The biggest question mark for me is finding that highly elusive top-line LHD to pair with Risto. Our best bet is for one of McCabe, Guhle, or Beaulieu to somehow develop into that kind of player. I'd rather not have to address this via trades, and free agency is very unlikely to help. At least JBot will have 2-3 years to figure this problem out while all of the young forwards are developing.

You forgot Baptiste.

On paper, yes I believe we definitely have the talent to compete with Toronto and Edmonton in 3 years.

The biggest question mark for me is finding that highly elusive top-line LHD to pair with Risto. Our best bet is for one of McCabe, Guhle, or Beaulieu to somehow develop into that kind of player. I'd rather not have to address this via trades, and free agency is very unlikely to help. At least JBot will have 2-3 years to figure this problem out while all of the young forwards are developing.

Baptiste added. Thanks.

And it will be interesting to see what Housley will do with the three first-rounders, two second-rounders and Antipin at his disposal on the blueline.

Edit: three seconds. I hadn't realized Scandella was also a 2nd round pick.

There are 19 1st and 2nd rounders in that lineup I posted up top.

Edited by dudacek

You forgot Baptiste.

On paper, yes I believe we definitely have the talent to compete with Toronto and Edmonton in 3 years.

The biggest question mark for me is finding that highly elusive top-line LHD to pair with Risto. Our best bet is for one of McCabe, Guhle, or Beaulieu to somehow develop into that kind of player. I'd rather not have to address this via trades, and free agency is very unlikely to help. At least JBot will have 2-3 years to figure this problem out while all of the young forwards are developing.

You forgot Scandella, I think he has the best shot at that top lhd 

You forgot Scandella, I think he has the best shot at that top lhd 

Actually, I deliberately left him out of the top LHD conversation because I see him as more of a known quantity at age 27: that of a solid second-line LHD in this league. This year he will probably be the top LHD and probably won't embarrass himself, but long-term I'd like to see a genuine top-50 NHL defenseman to pair with Risto. McCabe, Guhle, and Beaulieu each have the talent to become one.

I've probably always been too optimistic about previous Sabres teams.  But with a competent coach and fully healthy Jack I think we've got a legit shot at the playoffs this year.  In 2-3 years when you're getting Jack in his prime and adding Mittelstadt, Nylander (whom I'm still big on) and hopefully guys like Guhle and Asplund things could get real fun. 

Everyone was disappointed with last season.  Don't worry, the fun is about to begin.

It is natural for fans to be overly optimistic about their teams.

That top 6 group of forwards is capable of competing for the cup, IMO.  Risto is very good and will improve, I think.

So, the key is, as it is with any cup winner, the pieces put in place to augment the top talent.

Steps have been taken to address the D, but there is still work to be done in overall team improvement.

The development of all of the younger players that are slated to fill out the roster ... bottom 6 and the D ... will be critical.  Even some slated in the top 6 still have development in order to be legit top 6 (Nylander and the #1 pick in the most recent draft).

I am very optimistic.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.