Head Coach Thread: What / Whom Do You Want, etc.?

Eleven

listening to Craig Button on the Instigators he just said he would be really cautious of a guy like Housley as coach because he doesn't have any head coaching experience in the NHL.... No Button and Bylsma had  years and had won a cup, look how well that turned out. Maybe we should just have the same 31 guys rotate jobs under they die. Sorry pet peeve is the ridiculous use of that excuse. There is a laundry list of guys with head coach experience who I wouldn't touch with a 100 foot pole. 

Isn't his only head coaching experience ever in some tournament? That's definitely worth taking into consideration.

Yes. Seemed to me Button was arguing that Housley lacking NHL head coaching experience was a major issue. 

Yes. Seemed to me Button was arguing that Housley lacking NHL head coaching experience was a major issue. 

I didn't catch the bit. Button's silly sometimes but I enjoy listening to him. 

You're right that the available names with coaching experience are fairly nauseating when evaluated as a whole.

Button also said it is pretty well accepted that Tocchet is the guy.

Not a fan of Button, but the Housley point is a valid one.

Personally, I'd like Housley better if he had some head coaching experience at the junior/college or AHL level.    I think that's his next step to becoming an NHL head coach, Rochester would be a great fit, but would he be interested?    

Tocchet tho?  I'd be OK with it, but I take everything that comes out Button's mouth with a grain of salt.   

Edited by pi2000

I know we seem heavily slanted in support of Housley but I don't get the disdain for Tocchet some seem to have. I trust management to make the decision. As a fan I'm much less in a position to sort out all that goes into a decision than management is. Also the only negativity I've heard on Tocchet is Paul Hamilton and on this board. Hockey writers that I've read seem to think he would be a very good choice. He's,it would seem, well respected league wide.

The lack of head coaching experience is certainly a valid critique of Housley's resume. The lack of NHL head coaching experience in particular, however, I don't believe is especially strong.

I believe it's a concern. Not the biggest ever, but it's definitely a point in Tocchet's favor. How many head coaches have we seen fail at their first job only to become great later? Seems like a lot of them go through that

I believe it's a concern. Not the biggest ever, but it's definitely a point in Tocchet's favor. How many head coaches have we seen fail at their first job only to become great later? Seems like a lot of them go through that

Like Dan Bylsma... wait a minute

I think it's neither a concern nor a plus. It's a shoulder shrug.

Feel like having prior experience in any job is a plus

I'd bet for every example of a coach failing the first go-round, learning, and being successful on his second chance, I could find one that failed, and failed again. Which is why I think it's a big zero in my evaluation.

I'd bet for every example of a coach failing the first go-round, learning, and being successful on his second chance, I could find one that failed, and failed again. Which is why I think it's a big zero in my evaluation.

Perfectly stated.

I'll take that bet  :nana:

And for every one of those examples it's showcasing that those coaches are bad no matter what, not that the experience benefited them either way. When a good head coach fails at his first job then succeeds, it tells me he learned something from that first job.

Edited by WildCard

Feel like having prior experience in any job is a plus

Tocchet final season in Tampa 80 Pts.

Stamkos 95 Pts, St Louis 94 Pts, Lecavalier 63 Pts and Herman 20 Pts

One year later Boucher takes over

Stamkos 91 Pts

St Louis 99 Pts

Lecavalier 54 Pts

Hedman 26 Pts

The team finished with 103 Pts and went to ECF.

I'm really having a hard time getting excited about Tocchet as the Sabres HC

Today is the deadline for STHs to renew and the Stanley Cup Parade in Pittsburgh.

Tocchet gets announced tomorrow with his presser on Friday.

One more side note, Friedman did state that Housley is a candidate for both WNY Coaching Vacancies. If they want him to start in Rochester, that's fine with me.

I wouldn't give a single about any pressure that creates for Tocchet in Buffalo.

Today is the deadline for STHs to renew and the Stanley Cup Parade in Pittsburgh.

Tocchet gets announced tomorrow with his presser on Friday.

One more side note, Friedman did state that Housley is a candidate for both WNY Coaching Vacancies. If they want him to start in Rochester, that's fine with me.

I wouldn't give a single ###### about any pressure that creates for Tocchet in Buffalo.

I have a hard time believing Housely would leave Nashville to be an AHL head coach