Stephens signed to ELC

Brawndo

For what it's worth, all this talk about the millions he is spending on ex-coaches, a lot of it is offset when they get new jobs. Rex Ryan's deal even had offset language in the event ESPN hired him, which of course happened.

Didn't know that... 

I am sure from a talent perspective they are still running the Murray framework.  No one questioned his talent acquisition ability, it was his communication and organizational skills that got him canned.

Didn't know that...

I am sure from a talent perspective they are still running the Murray framework. No one questioned his talent acquisition ability, it was his communication and organizational skills that got him canned.

This is a bit generous. Quite a few people have questioned, e.g., Lehner, Reino over Draisaitl, the 2014 draft generally, etc.

This is a bit generous. Quite a few people have questioned, e.g., Lehner, Reino over Draisaitl, the 2014 draft generally, etc.

I mean, if they were going to use the 2014 draft pick to get a winger, I would have said Draisaitl. Thought they were drafting a puck distributing center. 

I know what people on here question.  People on here question everything.  In the industry he's long been regarded as a solid talent evaluator.

The Lehner trade was a 1st round pick, I get that people are upset about that. The kid played well this year despite the crap D in front of him and clearly a team that was dysfunctional.  The same can be said for Reinhart.  There is all this discussion about how he's not being used right.  If you accept that fact how can you accurately compare him to Draisaitl?

His history with the Sabres isn't the only thing to be looked at.  His history with Ottawa and the Ducks should also be taken into consideration.

I was and remain generally on board with most of GMTM's moves.  I also think it's too early to tell on quite a few of them.  I just don't think it's fair to say his talent evaluation is "unquestioned."  Ottawa was a mediocre team while he was there, the Sabres were a train wreck while he was here, and a number of his moves are quite questionable.  (Another one that I forgot to mention was Pysyk for Kulikov.  While I think it was a good trade at the time that was derailed by Kuli's injury, plenty of reasonable hockey observers disagree.)

Draisaitl is a center long-term, he's just on McDavid's wing like Sam is on Jack's for the moment. And he's doing a better job at that FWIW

He is bigger, doesn't skate as good as Sam, and doesn't need to distribute the puck to get points, McDavid does that for him. I am really not surprised he is a better winger. I think Sam is a mediocre winger and will continue to be so. 

He is bigger, doesn't skate as good as Sam, and doesn't need to distribute the puck to get points, McDavid does that for him. I am really not surprised he is a better winger. I think Sam is a mediocre winger and will continue to be so. 

Leon is a better skater than Sam now. He was as bad or worse when they were drafted though. And while I think Sam is a touch better at passing, Leon is incredible too, it's not all just McDavid. Check out his OT assist to Desharnais a coulple games ago. It was gorgeous, and McD was sitting on the bench. 

I had this argument a couple of weeks ago - I think as an overall player at either position, Draisaitl is better at the moment. The only traits that Sam has on him are maybe hand-eye and passing, and mayyyybe vision, and Leon does the rest better at either position. But there's a long way to go.

Devante Stephens, 6'2" LHD 3rd season WHL: 67gm, 13g, 22a and +27. At this point we need all the defense we can get on board. 

Stephens is a interesting prospect. Likes the play a heavy game and is very experienced.

In his WHL career, he's played in 50 playoff games and 5 in the Memorial Cup.

Leon is a better skater than Sam now. He was as bad or worse when they were drafted though. And while I think Sam is a touch better at passing, Leon is incredible too, it's not all just McDavid. Check out his OT assist to Desharnais a coulple games ago. It was gorgeous, and McD was sitting on the bench. 

I had this argument a couple of weeks ago - I think as an overall player at either position, Draisaitl is better at the moment. The only traits that Sam has on him are maybe hand-eye and passing, and mayyyybe vision, and Leon does the rest better at either position. But there's a long way to go.

I remember how close Sam, Sam and Leon were during that draft. It was like flip a coin and good luck. Interestingly even if Reinhart is not as good as Draisaitl, Bennett seems to have fallen behind both. 

I remember how close Sam, Sam and Leon were during that draft. It was like flip a coin and good luck. Interestingly even if Reinhart is not as good as Draisaitl, Bennett seems to have fallen behind both.

Yep glad we passed on him.

Reinhart was the safe, easy, right choice at the time and i don't think we're going to hate it at all long term even if one or two forwards looks better. I'm having dreams of a 15-23-90 spine every night and I can't wait to see it happen.

Kelowna @ Seattle. Game 5 in a 2-2 series. This was one of those games. All the penalties in the first half were on Seattle. Kelowna didn't score (maybe 1, edit: actually 2 -- and their final goal was also a PP tally. 3/10 for the game). The fans were angry. But Seattle scored short-handed and during a 4-on-4. Halfway through the game, the score was tied and Kelowna had 2:1 advantage in shots. Then... magically... the penalties started going against Kelowna. Seattle's powerplay was lethal. Game over. 5-3 final score.

Devante Stephens started on a pairing with Callan Foote. Let's talk Foote. He is very good. He is huge. Every hockey player has big calves on account of pads, socks with horizontal striping, and tape. Foote's calves are the largest of everyone on the ice. But... he doesn't make things look effortless. When Guhle played a game here in Seattle his game was effortless. No wasted motion. Neutralized every attack. Foote may have negated the attack, but it took effort. That's mostly related to skating. He did slide to the ice to take away a 2:1 break. Good, but not great, against his peers.

Let's talk Stephens. He was OK tonight. He doesn't avoid checks as well as he should. He got absolutely rocked on his first shift, and got hit pretty hard a couple other times. (I guess it's good he doesn't shy away from contact, or will take a hit to make a pass? But still.) No PP time, lots of PK time.

He botched receiving a blueline pass (from my angle I couldn't tell if the pass was good or not) that resulted in the 4-on-4 breakaway goal for Seattle.

He made a really nice drive to the center of the ice at 7:10 in the second period. Drew a penalty.

Overall, nice job taking away time and space from Matthew Barzal. That's not easy to do. It didn't stop Barzal from being the #1 star of the night, however.

Third period, Stephens hooked Barzal on a 2:1 break. The T-birds scored on the ensuing PP, and that was the game.

Overall, OK. He's got good strength among the juniors. He won his puck battles. He stood up well against Barzal. Took a penalty or two. Drew a penalty or two. 5/6 in the AHL next season. He's an athletic, raw player. In my completely useless opinion. maybe he sees some NHL ice in 2018-2019, if he makes it at all. 2-3 year project player.

Fun game though! I hope Kelowna forces a game 7. And I hope Lethbridge advances, so even if Seattle wins I can see Hagel.

Edited by DarthEbriate

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.