April 29,2017...draft order is picked by the NHL

Sabre fan

Mark this date  on your calendar, Saturday April 29,2017. It is then the NHL will do their big hooplah and pick who will draft first overall. At this point we sit with pick number 6 position and any number of good looking prospects will be there on the board.Do we sit and wait til this day, see what we get, then shop the pick if we do not move up? At 6 we will get someone who no doubt has talent but is years away from helping this team. At the same time if we can trade the pick for immediate help on the blueline that seems to make much more sense. So, do we keep it or trade it? I say to heck with it trade it and get us immediate help on the blueline which would go a long way towards making thi steam a playoff contender next year. Otherwise, we will add another good young prospect to our large pool but the defense  will remain a problem moving forward

The Bruins picked much later last year and got a defenseman that is playing a key role on their team in the playoffs. If you really like the top defenseman that will be available we take him. If a can't miss forward is there I'd probably go with the better player, but I'd probably use the pick is what I'm saying.

The Bruins picked much later last year and got a defenseman that is playing a key role on their team in the playoffs. If you really like the top defenseman that will be available we take him. If a can't miss forward is there I'd probably go with the better player, but I'd probably use the pick is what I'm saying.

I tend to agree with this.  Draft the best available player whenever we draft ... can we move down as a result of the draw?  I don't think so.

For immediate help we will need to go the trade / FA route, IMO.

I tend to agree with this.  Draft the best available player whenever we draft ... can we move down as a result of the draw?  I don't think so.

For immediate help we will need to go the trade / FA route, IMO.

If all 3 lottery winners currently sit in slots 7-15, the Sabres would move down to 9. That is extremely unlikely. Most likely scenario is they end up 6 or 7 but w/ luck they could be sitting in 1, 2 or 3.

They are treating Vegas as if they were the third-worst team this past season, so the Avs and 'nucks have better odds than Vegas does.  Since the NHL will draw 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall in the lottery, the Sabres could end up with #1, #2, #3, #6, #7, #8, or #9.

I would look at it this way: The Sabres have a 59.6% chance of drafting 7th or 8th.

From wikipedia (hopefully formatting is good with line-wrapping):

Team 	        1st 	2nd 	3rd 	4th 	5th 	6th 	7th 	8th 	9th 	10th 	11th 	12th 	13th 	14th 	15th
Colorado 	18.0% 	16.0% 	14.1% 	52.0% 											
Vancouver 	12.1% 	11.8% 	11.3% 	34.0% 	30.7% 										
Vegas 	        10.3% 	10.3% 	10.1% 	11.8% 	39.3% 	18.1% 									
Arizona 	10.3% 	10.3% 	10.1% 	2.1% 	22.8% 	34.6% 	9.7% 								
New Jersey 	8.5% 	8.7% 	8.8% 		7.2% 	33.0% 	28.7% 	5.2% 							
Buffalo 	7.6% 	7.8% 	8.0% 			14.3% 	38.2% 	21.4% 	2.6% 						
Detroit 	6.7% 	7.0% 	7.2% 				23.4% 	39.7% 	14.8% 	1.2% 					
Dallas 	        5.8% 	6.1% 	6.4% 					33.7% 	37.9% 	9.5% 	0.5% 				
Florida 	5.4% 	5.7% 	6.0% 						44.7% 	32.7% 	5.4% 	0.2% 			
Los Angeles 	4.5% 	4.8% 	5.1% 							56.5% 	26.4% 	2.7% 	0.1% 		
Carolina 	3.2% 	3.4% 	3.7% 								67.8% 	20.7% 	1.3% 	<0.1% 	
Winnipeg 	2.7% 	2.9% 	3.2% 									76.4% 	14.3% 	0.5% 	<0.1%
Philadelphia 	2.2% 	2.4% 	2.7% 										84.3% 	8.3% 	0.1%
Tampa Bay 	1.8% 	2.0% 	2.2% 											91.2% 	2.9%
NY Islanders 	0.9% 	1.0% 	1.1% 												97.0%

I think we are learning that it doesn't take Dmen 3 years to become NHLers anymore. 

We finished 6th and lucked out with 2nd last year. If you are picking 6th, you should be able to get a LHD that will play in the NHL in 2 or so years depending on how the early picks go. I think it is a good year to move down if you are not picking in the top 3 or 4. Just stay away from Alzner, I want him on the Jets playing with Buff next year.

Edited by Ducky

One thing that simulator doesn't take into account; LV is guaranteed a #4 spot.

I don't think that is the case.

Could be wrong, but I think they are guaranteed no worse than 6th and highest % chance of drafting 5th, but an almost equal chance of drafting at 1 through 4 and a 18% chance of drafting 6th.

Looking at the odds it seems that the fix is going to be in again ...  :ph34r:

Good thing I have all that Alcoa stock.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.