How would things be different if...

Sabre fan

Okay, I am wondering how we all feel if things had turned out differently when it comes to...

1) we got McDavid instead of jack

2) we got Babs instead of Blysma

3) we had not have all those nasty injuries at the start of the year that tore the core of this team apart

4) if Kulikov was healthy all year and used properly would we be debating whether to re-sign him

5) if Risto had no got suspended would Dan still be wearing him out while not using other D like Bogo and Kulikov enough

6) does anybody remember we lost in the Vesey sweepstakes?

7) do we have ANY hope next year if Dan returns

1)Samson would have never been used on his wing. Honestly I don't see too much of a difference about where we'd be. No one player could carry this team.

2)This is the biggest factor. I think we'd be firmly in the 8th seed position and struggle but ultimately lose game 6/7 of the series. Players are allowed to build long term sustained chemistry and the line up and system is tooled to play to everyone's greatest strengths.

3)With no changes? Same exactly place we are at. The system and roster performance, not injuries are responsible for this debacle.

4)See above

5)Without a doubt. There's no bad decision that DD doesn't like.

6)With all the other BS going on, who cares? One player couldn't make this team win.

7)Simply put, no.

7) Yes.  Hope?  Yes.  Expectations would be lowered, but I think that if the Sabres don't suffer as many injuries and everyone is a year older (on a pretty young team), they will be noticeably better, even if Dan is not maximizing their performance.

The other thing is this:  If DD compares tape of good games versus bad games this year, he may tweak his system to actually take advantage of the team's strengths to a greater degree.

That said, unless they are leading their division, I will be very concerned if he's still our coach at Thanksgiving.

Okay, I am wondering how we all feel if things had turned out differently when it comes to...

3) we had not have all those nasty injuries at the start of the year that tore the core of this team apart

4) if Kulikov was healthy all year and used properly would we be debating whether to re-sign him

5) if Risto had no got suspended would Dan still be wearing him out while not using other D like Bogo and Kulikov enough

1.) Assuming McDavid is healthy all year, playoffs

2.) Playoffs

3.) No difference, still have Bylsma

4.) No, we would just re-sign him. There would be little debate. He seemed hampered all year due to the door incident.

5.) Of course

6.) I forgot about it. Only time I remember is if I see him in a highlight. Seems like he's gotten in a few scraps this year. 

7.) Possibly? If we add some defense, Jack doesn't lose his mind, and we stay healthy we should be in even with Bylsma. That being said, I wouldn't bet on it unless he were fired. 

Considering he's on concussion number 47 this season already and not playing because of it, I'd say we'd be worse off at this point.

It really sucks, but I don't know if Aaron is going to be in the league very long.

Yeah, he was such a good player the first two seasons registering a +12 and +18, and now he's a -23... that's a huge step back and likely related to the concussion issues.    Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Yeah, he was such a good player the first two seasons registering a +12 and +18, and now he's a -23... that's a huge step back and likely related to the concussion issues.    Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Well besides +/- his advanced stats have drastically declined too. Concussions and missing Campbell

We still wouldn't be heading to the playoffs and we'd all be wondering "what if we had a team".............. that's exactly like it is now. 

Ekblad got hurt at the World Cup just before the season started. He had multiple concussions up to that point, they listed his injury at the WC as a 'neck injury'.

He also just got a 'neck injury' his first game back from his latest concussion.

Crosby had 'neck injuries' too.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

the question then begs to be answered...do we trade Sam in a package for maybe a D?

If DD is here long term, we should do this, yeah. 

If everything else stayed the same and we got babdick, we'd be one of the best young teams in the league, and on our way to becoming contenders.

Especially in this decision..where the team we just kicked the out of on Saturday is 2 pts out of home ice...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.