Updated: Dallas signs Bayreuther

Brawndo

Per Bob McKenzie

It's a two-horse race -- BUF and DAL -- to sign college UFA D Gavin Bayreuther of SLU. Decision coming later tonight or tomorrow.

I want to beat Dallas in something

you'd think he'd have a better shot at playing in BUF than anywhere else in the league.  

Eyyyyyyyyy welcome back!

And if we can get people in over Gorges and whoever replaces Kulikov when Kulikov gets hurt again (is Kulikov hurt right now? I simply can't remember) then I am all in on them, just for something different than Gorges.

Risto - ??

McCabe - Antipin

Franson / Falk - Fedun

How's that sound?

Risto - ??

McCabe - Antipin

Franson / Falk - Fedun

How's that sound?

For next year? Terrible. 

Man, it's been awhile since the last game, because I can't remember which defensemen are healthy. Hang on

So right now it's

McCabe-Risto

Falk-Bogo

Gorges-Franson

I'd love to see, for the rest of the season,

McCabe-Risto

Bogo-Franson (these guys looked good together IIRC)

Russia/college kid - Fedun

Edited by Randall Flagg

For next year? Terrible. 

Man, it's been awhile since the last game, because I can't remember which defensemen are healthy. Hang on

So right now it's

McCabe-Risto

Falk-Bogo

Gorges-Franson

I'd love to see, for the rest of the season,

McCabe-Risto

Bogo-Franson (these guys looked good together IIRC)

Russia/college kid - Fedun

Wait how is your lineup any better than mine? 

Wow Murray is going for defenseman.  Depth is great, but hope he's able to land a legit top 2 d-man to play w/ Risto.  

Yup. Even if we get both these guys, we NEED a Brodin/Scandella/Tanev/Fowler level trade or I want Murray gone. 

McCabe-xxx

Gorges-xxx

Falk-xxx

Guhle

Bayreuther/Antipin

is garbage and Tim better know it. 

Wait how is your lineup any better than mine? 

I only hate your lineup as something to go into next season with, I wasn't sure what was up because Bogosian wasn't there. some rearranging and adding in Bogosian somewhere (yes, I'm not a fan but he's playing here the rest of the season no matter what) while making sure Falk is the one to go back to Rochacha and I'm good with the players there for the rest of this season, with the idea that big moves are needed as soon as game 82 wraps up.

Yup. Even if we get both these guys, we NEED a Brodin/Scandella/Tanev/Fowler level trade or I want Murray gone. 

McCabe-xxx

Gorges-xxx

Falk-xxx

Guhle

Bayreuther/Antipin

I only hate your lineup as something to go into next season with, I wasn't sure what was up because Bogosian wasn't there. some rearranging and adding in Bogosian somewhere (yes, I'm not a fan but he's playing here the rest of the season no matter what) while making sure Falk is the one to go back to Rochacha and I'm good with the players there for the rest of this season, with the idea that big moves are needed as soon as game 82 wraps up.

I'm saying that for next season. Move Bogosian and get a #1 to play with Risto. Have your 3rd pair consist of Falk - Fedun - Guhle or Franson / Antipin depending on which one plays better and can't be on a 2nd pair

Edited by WildCard

McCabe-xxx

Gorges-xxx

Falk-xxx

Guhle

Bayreuther/Antipin

Well, that D group does look lousy indeed -- but you omitted someone important (his name rhymes with "shmisto."

I'm confident that GMTM is going to seriously pursue a real NHL top-3 defenseman this summer -- but there's no guaranty he gets one, especially if the price is Reinhart, Kane or Nylander (which I think will be the case).

These potential signings indicate to me that GMTM is not going to bring back Franson or Kulikov.

Well, that D group does look lousy indeed -- but you omitted someone important (his name rhymes with "shmisto."

I'm confident that GMTM is going to seriously pursue a real NHL top-3 defenseman this summer -- but there's no guaranty he gets one, especially if the price is Reinhart, Kane or Nylander (which I think will be the case).

These potential signings indicate to me that GMTM is not going to bring back Franson or Kulikov.

Or, he moves Bogosian

Yeah, I mean to focus on the left-hand side. Going with LHD depth of those players is unacceptable for where this team needs to be next year IMO, unless the right side has 3 Ristos. 

I'm saying that for next season. Move Bogosian and get a #1 to play with Risto. Have your 3rd pair consist of Falk - Fedun - Guhle or Franson / Antipin depending on which one plays better and can't be on a 2nd pair

I'm hoping Falk-Fedun can be the third pairing in a situation with 2 injuries, meaning I'd be cool with them on the top pair in Rochester. For next season, 

xxx - Ristolainen

McCabe - somebody better than Bogo pleeeeeeeease

xxx - Franson or someone like him

This is ideal if Franson doesn't get a lot of money and gets a nice 3rd pairing guy with some wheels. If that top spot with Risto can somehow become Brodin/Tanev, and a good 2nd pair guy take the spot by McCabe while we find someplace to dump bogo, I'm thrilled. It's likely going to be Bogosian in that spot though, no? 

I like the potential addition of these two guys because it gives us two more rolls of the dice for someone to sit in that 3rd pair effectively. 

We're a mess on the back end right now and it will be almost impossible to ideally address the hole we have in each pairing.

We're a mess on the back end right now and it will be almost impossible to ideally address the hole we have in each pairing.

Hard, but not impossible.

1) make a big signing or deal for your necessary complement for Risto. Expansion and the cap are your friends

2) let Guhle/Antipov/our first pick fight for the spot beside your cheap, competent veteran. These players will be available.

Resign yourself to the fact this guy might be Gorges, but console yourself with the fact that if it is Gorges, this means your Risto complement was pretty expensive and therefore pretty good.

3) slot McCabe onto the second pair where he should shine. Fire Dan and expect Bogosian to be better.

If yo squint real hard through these rose-coloured glasses, you'll see it could happen.

Yeah, I mean to focus on the left-hand side. Going with LHD depth of those players is unacceptable for where this team needs to be next year IMO, unless the right side has 3 Ristos. 

I'm hoping Falk-Fedun can be the third pairing in a situation with 2 injuries, meaning I'd be cool with them on the top pair in Rochester. For next season, 

xxx - Ristolainen

McCabe - somebody better than Bogo pleeeeeeeease

xxx - Franson or someone like him

This is ideal if Franson doesn't get a lot of money and gets a nice 3rd pairing guy with some wheels. If that top spot with Risto can somehow become Brodin/Tanev, and a good 2nd pair guy take the spot by McCabe while we find someplace to dump bogo, I'm thrilled. It's likely going to be Bogosian in that spot though, no? 

I like the potential addition of these two guys because it gives us two more rolls of the dice for someone to sit in that 3rd pair effectively. 

That's pretty much where I see the D as well. I don't think we'll get rid of Bogosian, and I think one of Guhle or Antipin will be the 3rd pair LHD, so we are probably right now looking at:

xxx - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Guhle - xxx

The key is adding that top 4 LHD, and I think it'll be ok. Have to bring someome in for the 3rd pair RHD, I'd be open to it being Franson. Adding that top 4 LHD would keep Gorges as the 7th D, and guys like Antipin (or Guhle) and Falk in the AHL.

Failing to get that LHD addition pretty much torpedoes the entire D, with Gorges slotting back in on the left.

Hard, but not impossible.

1) make a big signing or deal for your necessary complement for Risto. Expansion and the cap are your friends

2) let Guhle/Antipov/our first pick fight for the spot beside your cheap, competent veteran. These players will be available.

Resign yourself to the fact this guy might be Gorges, but console yourself with the fact that if it is Gorges, this means your Risto complement was pretty expensive and therefore pretty good.

3) slot McCabe onto the second pair where he should shine. Fire Dan and expect Bogosian to be better.

If yo squint real hard through these rose-coloured glasses, you'll see it could happen.

Sigh

Guhle's skating has me thinking that eventually he will play in the NHL, even if just in a limited role. I'm not letting myself dream too much about what his ceiling may be, and I definitely don't want to RELY on him for next year, but if he does come into camp and make the team, playing next to Franson, that pairing could wind up being VERY effective with protected minutes.

Sigh

Guhle's skating has me thinking that eventually he will play in the NHL, even if just in a limited role. I'm not letting myself dream too much about what his ceiling may be, and I definitely don't want to RELY on him for next year, but if he does come into camp and make the team, playing next to Franson, that pairing could wind up being VERY effective with protected minutes.

Definitely. Honestly, I'd give Murray a pass on pretty much anything else this offseason if he can find a way to bring in that top pair LHD. It's probably a must add for us to be competitive next season, and for me his to-do list starts and ends with that.

Definitely. Honestly, I'd give Murray a pass on pretty much anything else this offseason if he can find a way to bring in that top pair LHD. It's probably a must add for us to be competitive next season, and for me his to-do list starts and ends with that.

And if that involves trading Kane?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.