Players not listening to Dan?

Randall Flagg

more Eichel...

http://buffalonews.com/2017/02/13/sabres-lehner-says-wasnt-singling-eichel/

“Whether it's minute one or minute 60, I'm going to play the same exact way,” Eichel said. “A lot can go on in the course of a game and the course of a season, obviously the ups and downs in your mind, mentally and physically. I try to stick to the same routine every day, same game plan. We're all in the NHL for a reason. We all built our identity at a younger age. We're here. We do something very well, and that's why we play in the NHL. Whatever that is, just try to bring that to the rink every day. I'm a guy that needs to produce offensively. I need to play a 200-foot game and make a difference for this team. Whether it's in our own zone or setting somebody up or scoring a goal, that's what I'm looked at for. I'm a creative player. I take risks trying to make plays. That's how I've always been."

“There's definitely areas of my game I need to clean up. I need to get better in my own zone. I need to be more responsible. Maybe my timing coming out of our zone. There's obviously areas of my game I need to get better at. It's a work in progress with our whole team, and I'm the same way.”
Edited by pi2000

more Eichel...

“Whether it's minute one or minute 60, I'm going to play the same exact way,” Eichel said. “A lot can go on in the course of a game and the course of a season, obviously the ups and downs in your mind, mentally and physically. I try to stick to the same routine every day, same game plan. We're all in the NHL for a reason. We all built our identity at a younger age. We're here. We do something very well, and that's why we play in the NHL. Whatever that is, just try to bring that to the rink every day. I'm a guy that needs to produce offensively. I need to play a 200-foot game and make a difference for this team. Whether it's in our own zone or setting somebody up or scoring a goal, that's what I'm looked at for. I'm a creative player. I take risks trying to make plays. That's how I've always been."

"I was the #2 overall pick and am widely considered to be a star player. I'm not changing what got me into this spot for Dan Byslma, because he's an idiot and he's wrong"

Sweet, goodbye DD

Lehner saying "another deke" really makes it sound like Eichel. Who, other than Eichel, actually tries to create offense on this team that way?

Lehner is a goalie, so we don't know how refined his hockey knowledge is when it comes to skaters. He sees the game from between the pipes and really might not understand that our lack of possession and puck support is the problem.

So Jack doesn't like the system, Robin insists we need to play it and when we don't it's why we suck, and Gionta doesn't think systems matter at all. 

What in the world is happening in that locker room

Not exactly. Gio said all systems are the same, you just have to commit to playing within it.  I agree.  Last night reminded me of the Sabres win in Edmonton.  The Nucks pressured tbe net, double teamed our best offensive weapon and strangled the space up the middle and neutral zone.  When May said between periods that  Vancouver wasn't that good, I was like yeah that's what I'm seeing.  They executed the grind to perfection.  When you add talent up and down the lineup, the grind turns to suffocation like the Hawks, Caps and Pens do.  I see little difference in systems, rather consistency in execution and talent level that separates teams.  

Last comment I heard on WGR this morning.

Can GMTM fire Blysma any time soon?

They reasoned that GMTM can not. It will look like a few players got the coach fired and a GM cannot allow players to dictate who they want/get for coach.

Players need to play the system to the best of their abilities and let the coach hang himself.

To me, that's the wrong way to look at this situation.

First, we are not dealing with the top coaching echelon here. Second, our coach is repeating his coaching history on another team. Third, the players that can make change should. There are only 4-5 of them that know they will be heard and not cut or traded, they have to voice there concerns through their play. 

It appears the locker room has been fractured since at least Jack's tirade.  Lehner's interview has brought our suspicions to the public eye.

The good news is, we get to see what kind of GM we have.

Edited by Woods-Racer

"Just come to the rink everyday and enjoy the fact you're playing the NHL."

wow, not the attitude you want from your franchise player

I don't get anything bad out of that statement. He's saying show up, work hard, and be grateful for being in the world's best league.

more Eichel...

“There's definitely areas of my game I need to clean up. I need to get better in my own zone. I need to be more responsible. Maybe my timing coming out of our zone. There's obviously areas of my game I need to get better at. It's a work in progress with our whole team, and I'm the same way.”

What a fart in a bottle this season has become.

Not exactly. Gio said all systems are the same, you just have to commit to playing within it. I agree. Last night reminded me of the Sabres win in Edmonton. The Nucks pressured tbe net, double teamed our best offensive weapon and strangled the space up the middle and neutral zone. When May said between periods that Vancouver wasn't that good, I was like yeah that's what I'm seeing. They executed the grind to perfection. When you add talent up and down the lineup, the grind turns to suffocation like the Hawks, Caps and Pens do. I see little difference in systems, rather consistency in execution and talent level that separates teams.

I see a world of difference between our system and good teams' systems. Other teams actually skate through the neutral zone together and try to hang on to the puck before doing anything else. The Sabres accept that dumping the puck to the other team is acceptable because then our defensive scheme can set up. Dan Bylsma actually thinks playing defensively is a strategy, rather than an unfortunate necessity when your team doesn't have the puck.

I don't get anything bad out of that statement. He's saying show up, work hard, and be grateful for being in the world's best league.

It sounds like somebody in a bad situation trying to count their blessings and stay on task to me.

Not exactly. Gio said all systems are the same, you just have to commit to playing within it.  I agree.  Last night reminded me of the Sabres win in Edmonton.  The Nucks pressured tbe net, double teamed our best offensive weapon and strangled the space up the middle and neutral zone.  When May said between periods that  Vancouver wasn't that good, I was like yeah that's what I'm seeing.  They executed the grind to perfection.  When you add talent up and down the lineup, the grind turns to suffocation like the Hawks, Caps and Pens do.  I see little difference in systems, rather consistency in execution and talent level that separates teams.  

I see loads of difference between systems. Mediocre teams like Buffalo and Carolina play so differently. Good teams like last year's Stars and last year's Blues do as well. Joel Quenneville coaches a creative possession system that emphasizes quick passing and puck support, Darryl Sutter coaches a possession system that is exactly what Dan wishes his was. The two teams don't play remotely similar hockey and both often end up among the league leaders in possession. 

A good coach knows how to adjust a team's system based on the players available on the roster. Bruce Boudreau had success with the ridiculously offensive caps, the defensively loaded Ducks, and now a hybrid Wild team that has 10 solid 2nd line players and 5 2nd pair defensemen.

Jack on the Toronto game: "We’re almost afraid to push against them and try to score the fourth goal,” he said. “We’re almost too nervous to play in the offensive zone, make passes. We’re just sitting back and letting them come back."

I see loads of difference between systems. Mediocre teams like Buffalo and Carolina play so differently. Good teams like last year's Stars and last year's Blues do as well. Joel Quenneville coaches a creative possession system that emphasizes quick passing and puck support, Darryl Sutter coaches a possession system that is exactly what Dan wishes his was. The two teams don't play remotely similar hockey and both often end up among the league leaders in possession. 

A good coach knows how to adjust a team's system based on the players available on the roster. Bruce Boudreau had success with the ridiculously offensive caps, the defensively loaded Ducks, and now a hybrid Wild team that has 10 solid 2nd line players and 5 2nd pair defensemen.

And last month, they were talking about how Columbus has a system that put constant pressure on the opponent with D pinching and all out offense all the time. The players said they love playing that style. 

I watch the Hawks as much as the Sabres.  Q is defense first.  The Hawks dump and chase as much as the Sabres.  The difference is they have enough players with IQ and hands that they don't give it right back.  Q will also sit a player who misses the net. His peave is that the worse that cn happen is you get a whistle while a miss can mean an odd man break.  Does it look creative?  Yes but that has more to do with talent than system.

Little confused then now. Who's conclusion are you referring to in your post? Mine?

Yes, when you said the quote confirms who Lehner was referring to last night. What if the reporter asked: "were you talking about Jack or Risto?"

The persistence of people here to look for something to blame that isn't Bylsma is mind boggling. We look this team up and down, and maybe we can find some roster flaws, but we KNOW that Bylsma has been a bad coach. We have evidence of this! At it would appear that he still is a bad coach. We have corroborating evidence!

Yet here we sit, looking everywhere except the most obvious place.

If it looks like sh*t, and it smells like sh*t, well...

This.

You can say Eichel is acting entitled, or Lehner is speaking out of turn, or ROR has given up, or Gionta isnt controlling the room.

But all of these situations are coming from cracks caused by the fact the team is failing to succeed with the coach's system.

One of two things is happening: the system is failing, or the message about the system is failing.

Ultimately both of those things are on the coach.

I watch the Hawks as much as the Sabres. Q is defense first. The Hawks dump and chase as much as the Sabres. The difference is they have enough players with IQ and hands that they don't give it right back. Q will also sit a player who misses the net. His peave is that the worse that cn happen is you get a whistle while a miss can mean an odd man break. Does it look creative? Yes but that has more to do with talent than system.

I do not see what you see when I watch the Hawks.

Jack on the Toronto game: "We’re almost afraid to push against them and try to score the fourth goal,” he said. “We’re almost too nervous to play in the offensive zone, make passes. We’re just sitting back and letting them come back."

This makes me so sad.

So he was talking lots to Vesey.

Speaking of Vesey, 12 goals and 8 assists in 54 games.

I watch the Hawks as much as the Sabres.  Q is defense first.  The Hawks dump and chase as much as the Sabres.  The difference is they have enough players with IQ and hands that they don't give it right back.  Q will also sit a player who misses the net. His peave is that the worse that cn happen is you get a whistle while a miss can mean an odd man break.  Does it look creative?  Yes but that has more to do with talent than system.

I don't watch them 82 times per year like I do the Sabres, but I wind up seeing ~20 Hawks games per year between the regular season and the playoffs. The Hawks' breakout uses a stretch pass when the pass is there for the taking. Like all good teams. They don't come close to doing what we do, though - using it as our only means of possession when Jack isn't winding up to take it all the way himself. Good teams can use a stretch pass to take advantage of a change or bad positioning and they do. They don't use it to exhaustion with nothing else to fall back on. They don't immediately abandon the d-zone to occupy the far neutral zone for a chip in. They employ systems of puck support and every player that gets the puck has options and decisions to make. Our wingers don't. If the pass connects, they get squeezed out because they have nowhere to drop the puck. There's no support that lends to opening lanes. There's no manipulation of space. These are all things that well-coached teams do. Chicago especially. It's so easy to snuff out what we do. And we never, ever stop doing it. My favorite example is that game we played in Tampa, we did nothing to change this despite Bishop neutralizing every attempt at a forecheck we had before we could even start it, well into the third period. We chipped in a stretch pass again, went balls to the wall after it, and he had Palat in on a breakaway/2 on 1 and scoring before our forwards were even back into the neutral zone. He just doesn't change. I remember reading articles from Pittsburgh about his inability to adjust this. I'm going to try and find it, but in one it was mentioned that when the stretch pass wasn't working, Bylsma literally said the pass just has to be quicker or better. It's already a low percentage play. If it's being taken away, find something different to do.

I fully support Lehner for his outburst.  I think it was long overdue.

I still think that Bylsma is a good coach and that, at least some of, the players are not the right players for his style.

Also, I am convinced that Murray wants to play the LA style as opposed to the Chicago style.  I still believe that he thinks that Bylsma is his guy.

From Hoppe's article:

Is there finger-pointing among the Sabres?

“It’s not finger-pointing,” Eichel said. “It’s maybe we’re looking at some outside things that are the reason we’re not getting the result we want.

Looking at outside things?

Are there half naked groupies outside the locker room?

Is he referring to the weather?

Disappointed hunting season is over?

Do some of the roster need snowflake therapy?

What in the hell is he talking about, outside things?

Priceless :D

So basically, what I'm getting here is that Jack reads The Aud Club forum, and his favorite posters are Flagg, qwk, WC, dudacek, and TrueBluePhD :P

What about Gionta, and Lehner? Surely their avid readers as well :)

Edited by Lucky E

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.