Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

I believe I've posted multiple times about the likelihood of Dareus being a dissolute washout.

Two more great RB/DW moves -- drafting that loser AND giving him $100MM.

We're stuck with him. 

Dareus is not a loser. He's a very good dt

It's the worst that I can remember.

It's the best I can remember 

Logistics question on Dareus.  They sent him home.  Did he have to fly commercial to get home, or do they let him ride on the team plane back?

Edited by Tondas

Dareus has a cap hit of around $16.4 million. That's the 24th highest in the entire NFL (all players) and 7th highest among defensive players (at DT only Ndamukong Suh is higher).

Cordy Glenn has an absurd cap hit of $14.2 million. That's second highest among all offensive lineman in the NFL (behind only Trent William).

Throwing huge money at good-but-not-great players (or guys who can't stay on the field) kills your ability to sign depth players. Hopefully Bean will do better than Whaley with managing contracts.

It should be pointed out that, even though it is just the pre-season,  and it doesn't count, the Bills are horribly inept at putting points on the board.  Only the Buccaneers and Redskins are worse - by less than 2 points difference. 

The Bills averaged only 11.6 points in their first 3 games,  which is the 3rd worst points total in the NFL.

Look at the top ten here;  the teams that generally score well during the regular season by 'coincidence' are in the top ten;  The Packers, the Patriots, the Seahawks, the Broncos.... 

The Bills are looking putrid;  it's the same old story - they build up the defense, but the offense languishes.  How many times have we seen that before?    

It's going to take years before the stink of the Wilson Jr/Brandon/Levy/Jauron/Mularkey/Whaley (and ad nauseum) era of the last decade+ washes off this team.  

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=O&cat=T&yr=2017&lg=NFL&sort=ptsgm

At the time I was thrilled about Dareus's extension. The way we are stuck with it now and the fact that he's turned into a complete and utter bum definitely makes Whaley/Overdorf or whatever look horrible. 

It's so tough as a fan with no real football knowledge to draw conclusions from preseason action, and I try not to form hard opinions while watching. But I know that preseason, for everyone but entrenched and established starters who are legitimately good, is how you justify your team's faith in you (Tyrod) or defy all odds and become a Cinderella story (Fred Jackson's breaking into the league).

Tyrod has done nothing that earns him a roster spot, and as a coach who preaches the process and yaddah yaddah, I would have a hard time giving it to him even if there are no other options. TT has been utterly abysmal, catastrophically bad, pathetic, and can't lean on his past or projections for his future as a safety net. He NEEDED to have a solid preseason, and he let some kid who probably has a sub-50% completion percentage against mostly 2nd and 3rd teamers show him right up every single game, making throws that TT has never made. Peterman will be lucky to be a solid NFL backup and TT has been so bad that TBD is exploding every time Nate makes a standard NFL pass. This is where Tyrod and the post-Kelly QB situation has us. 

I know that refs use preseason to really really harp penalties and so some of those OL infractions we have seen are not going to be an issue that follows us into the regular season. But McDermott's "attitude" coupled with his line not knowing how to line up, and his special teams committing penalties on all but 2 or 3 punt returns through 3 games, and that is not an exaggeration, is hysterical. Let's see how he manages games (he punted from the other team's 39) and "instills discipline" during the regular season, but my confidence level from what I've seen so far starts low, and I predict that he will be another joke hire. Until we know one way or another, it's not going to be a point I harp on though, because we haven't seen real games yet. If it does happen this way, it makes the Pegulas look like even more of a joke. They already seem incompetent when it comes to making hires, and if Sean and or Brandon fail miserably, it will only add onto that. Unloading Sammy, Woods, Gilmore, Brown, Darby etc. etc. etc. in one offseason is bold and if your team sucks immediately after you are going to get blasted, deservedly so, no matter how justifiable any of those moves are in a vacuum, especially because:

I hope the defense is as good as it looks, but if the preseason looks hold, it would be another chapter of the bills immediately flip-flopping what they are good at from one season to the next instead of actually maintaining play on the side of the ball that looked good the season before. I mean Jesus Christ, If we had just kept an offense that was top 10 in scoring more or less the same and worked to bring the defense to middling, we could have been eyeing a wild card spot while still having all of this ammo to get a qb after the season. Instead we may have a D that keeps us in games and gets us just enough to have another wonderful 6-7 win season on a team that averages 3.9 yards per carry, 6 yards per pass attempt, and bottom of the barrel 3rd downs/scoring/red zone abilities. (Peterman was below 5 yards per attempt last night, I believe)

Peterman stares his receivers down, BADLY. If he starts this year I expect sub-50% completion percentage and many interceptions. His arm is sometimes refreshing though. 

Next offseason will be as important for the Bills as 2015 was for the Sabres. Get the quarterback at all costs, nail most of the rest of those early picks, and don't look back. 

At the time I was thrilled about Dareus's extension. The way we are stuck with it now and the fact that he's turned into a complete and utter bum definitely makes Whaley/Overdorf or whatever look horrible. 

It's so tough as a fan with no real football knowledge to draw conclusions from preseason action, and I try not to form hard opinions while watching. But I know that preseason, for everyone but entrenched and established starters who are legitimately good, is how you justify your team's faith in you (Tyrod) or defy all odds and become a Cinderella story (Fred Jackson's breaking into the league).

Tyrod has done nothing that earns him a roster spot, and as a coach who preaches the process and yaddah yaddah, I would have a hard time giving it to him even if there are no other options. TT has been utterly abysmal, catastrophically bad, pathetic, and can't lean on his past or projections for his future as a safety net. He NEEDED to have a solid preseason, and he let some kid who probably has a sub-50% completion percentage against mostly 2nd and 3rd teamers show him right up every single game, making throws that TT has never made. Peterman will be lucky to be a solid NFL backup and TT has been so bad that TBD is exploding every time Nate makes a standard NFL pass. This is where Tyrod and the post-Kelly QB situation has us. 

I know that refs use preseason to really really harp penalties and so some of those OL infractions we have seen are not going to be an issue that follows us into the regular season. But McDermott's "attitude" coupled with his line not knowing how to line up, and his special teams committing penalties on all but 2 or 3 punt returns through 3 games, and that is not an exaggeration, is hysterical. Let's see how he manages games (he punted from the other team's 39) and "instills discipline" during the regular season, but my confidence level from what I've seen so far starts low, and I predict that he will be another joke hire. Until we know one way or another, it's not going to be a point I harp on though, because we haven't seen real games yet. If it does happen this way, it makes the Pegulas look like even more of a joke. They already seem incompetent when it comes to making hires, and if Sean and or Brandon fail miserably, it will only add onto that. Unloading Sammy, Woods, Gilmore, Brown, Darby etc. etc. etc. in one offseason is bold and if your team sucks immediately after you are going to get blasted, deservedly so, no matter how justifiable any of those moves are in a vacuum, especially because:

I hope the defense is as good as it looks, but if the preseason looks hold, it would be another chapter of the bills immediately flip-flopping what they are good at from one season to the next instead of actually maintaining play on the side of the ball that looked good the season before. I mean Jesus ###### Christ, If we had just kept an offense that was top 10 in scoring more or less the same and worked to bring the defense to middling, we could have been eyeing a wild card spot while still having all of this ammo to get a qb after the season. Instead we may have a D that keeps us in games and gets us just enough to have another wonderful 6-7 win season on a team that averages 3.9 yards per carry, 6 yards per pass attempt, and bottom of the barrel 3rd downs/scoring/red zone abilities. (Peterman was below 5 yards per attempt last night, I believe)

Peterman stares his receivers down, BADLY. If he starts this year I expect sub-50% completion percentage and many interceptions. His arm is sometimes refreshing though. 

Next offseason will be as important for the Bills as 2015 was for the Sabres. Get the ###### quarterback at all costs, nail most of the rest of those early picks, and don't look back.

Probably. But if the 2 15+ yard 3rd down completions weren't called back because the tackles apparently are idjits, his yards/attempt would've been reasonable.

Not saying he'll supplant Taylor but hope that Yates was renting month to month. He's toast.

Anybody else think they signed Brandon Beane so that when he gets canned in 2-3 years that the Pegulas can say to the fans "you wanted Brandon fired and we gave you that?" :lol:

It should be pointed out that, even though it is just the pre-season,  and it doesn't count, the Bills are horribly inept at putting points on the board.  Only the Buccaneers and Redskins are worse - by less than 2 points difference. 

The Bills averaged only 11.6 points in their first 3 games,  which is the 3rd worst points total in the NFL.

Look at the top ten here;  the teams that generally score well during the regular season by 'coincidence' are in the top ten;  The Packers, the Patriots, the Seahawks, the Broncos.... 

The Bills are looking putrid;  it's the same old story - they build up the defense, but the offense languishes.  How many times have we seen that before?    

It's going to take years before the stink of the Wilson Jr/Brandon/Levy/Jauron/Mularkey/Whaley (and ad nauseum) era of the last decade+ washes off this team.  

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=O&cat=T&yr=2017&lg=NFL&sort=ptsgm

Marrone, Ryan, McDermott. All conservative head coaches who want to run the ball on 1st and 2nd down, throw a screen pass on 3rd. Punt. Coach up the defense to keep games close.

Pegullibles got snookered again.

It still amazes me that in spite of an avalanche of historical references to study, people still put in any stock at all in pre-season.

So let's see a first string offense that has looked as bad as Buffalo has so far that ended up performing well in the regular season.

So let's see a first string offense that has looked as bad as Buffalo has so far that ended up performing well in the regular season.

This team looks soft and has no idea what is going on. Players jump offsides, not getting lined up correctly, receivers dropping passes, receivers running 5-yard routes on 3rd and 9, QB's looking spooked and getting butterfingers.

I expect more of the same when the real bullets start flying. This Bills 2017 is brought to you by Russ Brandon and Sean McDermott. It starts with One.

Edited by jeffismagic

It happens all the time. When the Bills were good people would scream about how bad they were in preseason and how it would effect them when the season started. Marv Levy had the best September record in spite of that.

I really don't have the time or desire to go and find recent examples but you can look up teams that have killer pre-season records that translate into nothing and vice versa.

It means absolutely nothing.

It happens all the time. When the Bills were good people would scream about how bad they were in preseason and how it would effect them when the season started. Marv Levy had the best September record in spite of that.

I really don't have the time or desire to go and find recent examples but you can look up teams that have killer pre-season records that translate into nothing and vice versa.

It means absolutely nothing.

No one is arguing that point. No one cares about records or wins or losses. What one should care about is how undisciplined and situationally unaware this team still is under McDermott.

This team looks soft and has no idea what is going on. Players jump offsides, not getting lined up correctly, receivers dropping passes, receivers running 5-yard routes on 3rd and 9, QB's looking spooked and getting butterfingers.

I expect more of the same when the real bullets start flying. This Bills 2017 is brought to you by Russ Brandon and Sean McDermott. It starts with One.

It's clear you have no clue about what's going on if you think Brandon has anything to do with what's going on with Bills since he was named president of Pegula PSE. They have opened three restaurants, a hotel, bought numerous buildings, are discussing major renovations to the Arena and traveling the globe studying different stadia. He would have to clone himself to do anymore then be kept informed about football ops.

It's clear you have no clue about what's going on if you think Brandon has anything to do with what's going on with Bills since he was named president of Pegula PSE. They have opened three restaurants, a hotel, bought numerous buildings, are discussing major renovations to the Arena and traveling the globe studying different stadia. He would have to clone himself to do anymore then be kept informed about football ops.

Brandon had a hand in the last two coaches hired before McDermott. I don't have any information on the McD situation but it is evident that the Pegulas were listening to someone for advice because McD's name "jumped out at them" before they ever met him! Brandon was also involved in the GM "search" this year.

No one is arguing that point. No one cares about records or wins or losses. What one should care about is how undisciplined and situationally unaware this team still is under McDermott.

Undisciplined is the most overused explanation when discussing penalties. Teams become good when they don't have to think. Teams make mistakes when they are learning a new system or being put into situations they are unfamiliar with. That's a much more likely explanation unless your only agenda is to dismiss coach and GM cause you didn't like the hiring process.

Penalties as a whole are terribly overrated anyway. The best teams in the league usually lead the league in them.