The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Weird random question, I was supposed to be in the Bahamas scuba diving next week, clearly this isn't happening now. I have 16 days off from the hospital and I have an itch to do something. Flying anywhere is a no go; domestically, being from NY sucks as I look like patient zero because of the Fu"ks in NYC. I was thinking of a road trip, many national parks are open still with some modification, no camping etc..... I figure I could drive and stay at hotel or bnb and get take out or cook along the way.... I'm trying to maximize my sightseeing, anyone know of any reccomendations for an area I can get a lot in on a road trip. Bonus if there is a way for me to get some swims in as well.... The ymca being closed is hurting my training 

Man, you are gonna get some cross looks, out of state plates on the road in this *****?

Woody, I know it's not your style, and you're protesting the hell out of this, but you've been exposed to alot.  Do everyone a favor here, eh?

21 hours ago, Weave said:

Man, you are gonna get some cross looks, out of state plates on the road in this *****?

Woody, I know it's not your style, and you're protesting the hell out of this, but you've been exposed to alot.  Do everyone a favor here, eh?

I'm gonna hole up in a cabin in the andirondacks come Monday for a few days..... I can turn my phone off and hike and cook/take out. Maybe I'll do a little mountain climbing if allowed. 

I just realized they're fining people with out of state plates and even though I have my medical badge, I'm not essential out of this area, and NY plates will most definitley cause an issue sadly. 

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm gonna hole up in a cabin in the andirondacks come Monday for a few days..... I can turn my phone off and hike and cook/take out. Maybe I'll do a little mountain climbing if allowed. 

I just realized they're fining people with out of state plates and even though I have my medical badge, I'm not essential out of this area, and NY plates will most definitley cause an issue sadly. 

How can they fine people with out of state plates?  They don't always live in the same state as the plates.  Hell, one of my neighbors has been here for around 5 years but still has NJ plates.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Just as an FYI, our campground just got word that all campgrounds are supposed to be closed down by this Sunday.  Not sure if that is just in Seneca County, but pretty sure it's statewide.

So, you might want to call ahead and verify they're still open.

Edited by Taro T

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Just as an FYI, our campground just got word that all campgrounds are supposed to be closed down by this Sunday.  Not sure if that is just in Seneca County, but pretty sure it's statewide.

Am I the only one who thinks that is ridiculous?

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I think this whole thing is ridiculous, but what do I know ?‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, you might want to call ahead and verify they're still open.

Air Bnb is still listing places, there are private homes that are cabins so I'm thinking of doing that 

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

No.  Not at all.

We were set to be open but not allow people in the main clubhouse - they'd have to stay on their sites, which is fine.  But now, apparently even that isn't allowable.

It is VERY easy to stay within the recommended social distancing guidelines while still getting some fresh air.

Supposedly there's a $10,000 fine associated with violating the order.

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Air Bnb is still listing places, there are private homes that are cabins so I'm thinking of doing that 

This JUST came down today.  Hopefully this won't affect your plans, but who knows.

Really hoping you can still take your trip.

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I have found your take on this,... perplexing.

Do you only think this because it hasn’t hit your area hard enough yet?

Id like to hear North Buffalo’s take as well.

Do you guys think the lockdown was necessary?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So I guess NYC interning more bodies than normal on Hart Island because morgues are overcrowded is just propaganda? They went from two dozen a week to two dozen a day. The effects of COVID seem pretty obvious, even for fact checking skeptics.

On 4/4/2020 at 3:14 PM, Ogre said:

I would keep it in a dark warm spot(giggidy) until it sprouts...be the seed....it’s underground in the dark until it pokes through the surface.

On 4/4/2020 at 3:36 PM, Weave said:

Read up on germinating lilly seeds.  They may need to go through a cold cycle to germinate.

My boys' boys can swim! Well, one of my boys anyway.

20200410_182413.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

So I guess NYC interning more bodies than normal on Hart Island because morgues are overcrowded is just propaganda? They went from two dozen a week to two dozen a day. The effects of COVID seem pretty obvious, even for fact checking skeptics.

If you take NYC out of the equation, generally speaking, then the overall global scale of this is significantly smaller.... Who would've guessed living 3 inches apart from each other would cause issues.... The global mortality rate is still around 1% or so, and it's only getting smaller, I like those odds. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I have found your take on this,... perplexing.

Do you only think this because it hasn’t hit your area hard enough yet?

Id like to hear North Buffalo’s take as well.

Do you guys think the lockdown was necessary?

I have had staff quarantined at home from my main hospital, so it's hit, def not as hard as a big city. No, I don't think a full fledged shutdown was necessary at all, I think the long term consequences of this may end up out weighing the virus itself..... I could see some international travel stopping and NYC being on lock down, but the overreaction is beyond comprehension to me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I have had staff quarantined at home from my main hospital, so it's hit, def not as hard as a big city. No, I don't think a full fledged shutdown was necessary at all, I think the long term consequences of this may end up out weighing the virus itself..... I could see some international travel stopping and NYC being on lock down, but the overreaction is beyond comprehension to me. 

That’s kinda where I am as well. Also, shut down the areas with horrible air quality (like Wuhan and Northern Italy). Houston, New Orleans, I’m sure there are others.

3 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

If you take NYC out of the equation, generally speaking, then the overall global scale of this is significantly smaller.... Who would've guessed living 3 inches apart from each other would cause issues.... The global mortality rate is still around 1% or so, and it's only getting smaller, I like those odds. 

I think the trick is that mortality rate was really never the concern here. They focus on deaths because it gets people to take things seriously, but over loading the healthcare system was the real problem all along, right? It was about avoiding a surge that results in death by health care system incapacitation. The disease itself probably isn't more deadly, it's the situational factors that make it so.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

That’s kinda where I am as well. Also, shut down the areas with horrible air quality (like Wuhan and Northern Italy). Houston, New Orleans, I’m sure there are others.

I realize I'm getting a lot of flack in general, my take on this isn't one that others agree with or really appreciate. I feel that working in pandemic areas and having seen much worse is a position that many others haven't been in and it certainly shapes my thoughts a bit; fairly or unfairly. 

As I've said before, I don't think it's a hoax or fake news, but, again, is each flu season was televised with global deaths and etc, I think the world would shut down every fall. 

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think the trick is that mortality rate was really never the concern here. They focus on deaths because it gets people to take things seriously, but over loading the healthcare system was the real problem all along, right? It was about avoiding a surge that results in death by health care system incapacitation. The disease itself probably isn't more deadly, it's the situational factors that make it so.

Sadly, we are finding that intubation now may be worse that letting the hypoxic fight if off on their own, it's all evolving. 

I'll say this, a main reason I'm so burnt out at such a young age is because the health care system has been overburdened for quite some time now, it's actually very sad to see. The fact that they act like this is going to collapse the system while the whole process that's been in place is going to collapse the system; I think that's where my big skepticism is at. 

I wish there was a nice way to fix that, but that is no easy task. 

3 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Sadly, we are finding that intubation now may be worse that letting the hypoxic fight if off on their own, it's all evolving. 

I'll say this, a main reason I'm so burnt out at such a young age is because the health care system has been overburdened for quite some time now, it's actually very sad to see. The fact that they act like this is going to collapse the system while the whole process that's been in place is going to collapse the system; I think that's where my big skepticism is at. 

I think this is a fair take on things. The system was already a mess. 

14 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Anyone who wanted to "let it rip" should do some quick math on 330 million people using just modest assumptions (25% get infected, 50% of those are symptomatic, 20% of those have to go to the hospital and 1% of those die). The death toll theoretically is about what we're going to see (82,500), but how would we have handled 8.25 million people who needed a hospital bed, in a matter of weeks? (Actually, in that scenario, many people would have died from lack of medical care.) It was always the scale of needed medical care that scared people.

I scratch my head over anyone who's perplexed. When was the last time the flu sickened and killed thousands of healthcare workers as a direct result of taking care of patients? We should expect this kind of commentary in the coming weeks. "See? It wasn't that bad. The mitigation steps were an overreaction." The mitigation steps made it not that bad.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Anyone who wanted to "let it rip" should do some quick math on 330 million people using just modest assumptions (25% get infected, 50% of those are symptomatic, 20% of those have to go to the hospital and 1% of those die). The death toll theoretically is about what we're going to see (82,500), but how would we have handled 8.25 million people who needed a hospital bed, in a matter of weeks? (Actually, in that scenario, many people would have died from lack of medical care.) It was always the scale of needed medical care that scared people.

I scratch my head over anyone who's perplexed. When was the last time the flu sickened and killed thousands of healthcare workers as a direct results of taking care of patients? We should expect this kind of commentary in the coming weeks. "See? It wasn't that bad. The mitigation steps were an overreaction." The mitigation steps made it not that bad.

I've got a cousin who is a corrections officer and his family is terrified for his health and safety. That's not a thing that just happens. Prisons are starting to see huge spikes in prisoner deaths from this. Prisons are our society distilled down to its essence, and they're in big trouble. Expect that to dominate the news in a week or so, people who were already serving just punishment being essentially condemned to death. Not great.

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I scratch my head over anyone who's perplexed. When was the last time the flu sickened and killed thousands of healthcare workers as a direct result of taking care of patients? We should expect this kind of commentary in the coming weeks. "See? It wasn't that bad. The mitigation steps were an overreaction." The mitigation steps made it not that bad.

I'm not crunching the numbers, it's not my style, but Ive worked in a large city during a bad "flu" season and we were at catastrophic levels then in terms of supply, personnel and space. I can almost guarantee that the % of people that actually need the hospital is much lower than the actual number that would show up, but I just like in that situation. 

I'll eat crow in my ash bucket if I end up dead from this, just make sure to partake in spreading the ashes somewhere nice. 

Also, I'm probably not in the greatest of moods/mental place right now to keep going on this subject, any sense of calm demeanor I usually have is all but gone, reeling it in is rough, hence why I wanted to get away to the woods for a week or so. 

Edited by Wyldnwoody44
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm not crunching the numbers, it's not my style, but Ive worked in a large city during a bad "flu" season and we were at catastrophic levels then in terms of supply, personnel and space. I can almost guarantee that the % of people that actually need the hospital is much lower than the actual number that would show up, but I just like in that situation. 

I'll eat crow in my ash bucket if I end up dead from this, just make sure to partake in spreading the ashes somewhere nice. 

Pizza Plant by the arena okay?

27 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I realize I'm getting a lot of flack in general, my take on this isn't one that others agree with or really appreciate. I feel that working in pandemic areas and having seen much worse is a position that many others haven't been in and it certainly shapes my thoughts a bit; fairly or unfairly. 

As I've said before, I don't think it's a hoax or fake news, but, again, is each flu season was televised with global deaths and etc, I think the world would shut down every fall. 

I think more people agree with you than you think. People aren’t speaking up because they’re being talked down to or treated like idiots. The people pro-lockdown are far louder than the other crowd because the other crowd is afraid to speak out due to ridicule. It’s tyranny of the minority. No different than politics. It’s our life now in the age of social media. 

Edited by #freejame

29 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I want someone to explain to me how hospital capacity was at 103 per cent two months ago in my province and today it is less than 60. I understand how and why they did it. I don’t understand why they think hospitals should be overcrowded during “normal” times when they don’t need to be.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1