Will GMTM make any moves, big or small, before the season starts?

GASabresIUFAN

Edm has been busy of late. Yakupov finally got dealt and they signed Russell to a one year deal. It looks like they'll also sign Versteeg.

Ana waived Stoner to help create cap space to re-sign Lindholm and Rakell, but Fowler is still likely on the block as they also sent down Theodore who is beyond ready for regular NHL duty.

GMTM still needs to get Risto signed, but with injuries to Kulikov, Bogo, Okposo and maybe ROR, we could use more veteran depth.

Here are a couple of ideas, mostly little.

1) give Edm a conditional 5th rd pick for Griffin Reinhart. Griffin's stock has fallen significantly, after two failed organizations, but I'd take a chance on Sam's older brother and let him try to resurrect his career here. Put him in the AHL, work on his skating and see if you can turn this former top 5 pick into a solid 3rd line pairing physical defender.

2) Sign Weber or Wisniewski to vet minimum contracts. I like Wisniewski idea better. We need some better then Falk and I think both these guys are better.

3) go get Cam Fowler already.

Ana can ask all they want, but they aren't in a very good bargaining position.  The season is almost upon us and they still don't have the cap space to retain Lindholm and Rakell, who are two necessary pieces for their team.  Fowler is their only tradeable player who will create enough cap space, but teams with cap space to take on Fowler's 4 mill contract for the next two years and have assets to trade are in very short supply.  Buffalo is one of them.  

Edm has been busy of late. Yakupov finally got dealt and they signed Russell to a one year deal. It looks like they'll also sign Versteeg.

Ana waived Stoner to help create cap space to re-sign Lindholm and Rakell, but Fowler is still likely on the block as they also sent down Theodore who is beyond ready for regular NHL duty.

GMTM still needs to get Risto signed, but with injuries to Kulikov, Bogo, Okposo and maybe ROR, we could use more veteran depth.

Here are a couple of ideas, mostly little.

1) give Edm a conditional 5th rd pick for Griffin Reinhart. Griffin's stock has fallen significantly, after two failed organizations, but I'd take a chance on Sam's older brother and let him try to resurrect his career here. Put him in the AHL, work on his skating and see if you can turn this former top 5 pick into a solid 3rd line pairing physical defender.

2) Sign Weber or Wisniewski to vet minimum contracts. I like Wisniewski idea better. We need some better then Falk and I think both these guys are better.

3) go get Cam Fowler already.

Oil cut Reinhart today.

Well, Anaheim waived Clayton Stoner (who only dressed for 1 of their 7 playoff games last season) today, no doubt hoping someone would take his $3.25MM off their hands.  If no one picks him up, they are going to need to figure out something else in order to sign Lindholm -- like maybe trading Fowler.

Hello GMTM.

Is Fowler worth Nylander?

Well, Anaheim waived Clayton Stoner (who only dressed for 1 of their 7 playoff games last season) today, no doubt hoping someone would take his $3.25MM off their hands. If no one picks him up, they are going to need to figure out something else in order to sign Lindholm -- like maybe trading Fowler.

Hello GMTM.

Could the Sabres tAke stoner and Fowler for Foligno plus

Could the Sabres tAke stoner and Fowler for Foligno plus

I keep going through the process of elimination and I can't escape the conclusion that the Sabres aren't going to get Fowler (or Lindholm) without giving up Nylander.  It has to be a really good player, or a young player that looks like he's likely to develop into a really good player.  And that really good/potentially really good player has to be inexpensive. 

I think that means McCabe, Reinhart or Nylander.  I don't think the Sabres are going to part with Reinhart, and I don't think Anaheim wants a defenseman -- so that leaves Nylander.

Well, Anaheim waived Clayton Stoner (who only dressed for 1 of their 7 playoff games last season) today, no doubt hoping someone would take his $3.25MM off their hands.  If no one picks him up, they are going to need to figure out something else in order to sign Lindholm -- like maybe trading Fowler.

Hello GMTM.

For the next two years, I say absolutely. Long term? I honestly don't believe so. Nylander will be the 4th core forward we've been searching for, and it's not going to take particularly long for him to get there. He's also going to be cheaper than Fowler for maybe as long as it takes him to hit his 3rd contract.

I think it's been pretty well established that GMTM could have had Fowler for Nylander at the draft.

He had Juolevi, Nylander and sergachev ranked in that order, knew he would get one, and rated all three higher than Fowler.

Doubt McCabe will be moved easily after that deal he just signed. I bet a year from now that's looking like a sweetheart deal for the Sabres. Those are the kind of contracts you need in the cap era. Reinhart is a non-starter.

Everyone is over rating Fowler's value at this point.  No one gets top dollar at a fire sale and that is where Ana is right now.  If someone was willing to paying a huge price for Fowler the deal would have already been done.  

Remember folks Ana is so deep in D that Shea Theodore and Montour, who both should be in the NHL, have no place to play in Ana.  They are stuck behind Depres, Stoner, Bieksa, Fowler, Vatenan and Lindholm. Bieksa has a NMC and 2 years left and no one is taking Depres 5yr 3.7mill contract or Stoner's 2 yrs left off their hands. He also has an aging forward group with 8 forward 30 and older.  When he trades Fowler it will be for cap relief, youngish NHL forwards and maybe draft picks. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we could get him for Foligno, we keep $1mill of Foligno's salary and a conditional 2nd rd pic, or Girgensons and a conditional 3rd.  Nothing more.  

Remember old Bob Murray is down to 3 days to get Rakell and Lindholm signed and playing before the season starts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.