GDT: Ottawa at Buffalo, Sept. 27, 2016, 7:00 pm

Eleven

Even if Kane is on his game, I think he serves us better on Larsson's wing than Eichel or O'Reilly's.

Since I know Hot Daniel's gonna do it again, I'll live with Kane Eichel Samson for 2 games. After it's obvious that it's not working and last year's success was a flash in the pan, I'll have to struggle for 3-4 extra games before they're broken up. Then, I give it until March that HD actually tries Kane and Larsson together.

You're giving DD more credit than I for his ability to quickly recognise that line's demise.

Even if Kane is on his game, I think he serves us better on Larsson's wing than Eichel or O'Reilly's.

Since I know Hot Daniel's gonna do it again, I'll live with Kane Eichel Samson for 2 games. After it's obvious that it's not working and last year's success was a flash in the pan, I'll have to struggle for 3-4 extra games before they're broken up. Then, I give it until March that HD actually tries Kane and Larsson together.

:lol:

Fair enough. But even so, the end game still probably doesn't involve Girgensons in a top 6 role, when we are a playoff/contending team. Perhaps he's able to consistently fulfil the role of left wing next to Eichel, and I'd like to see him get a chance at it, but I'm not betting on it, long term. I think down the line his future may still lie as a top tier 4C who can fill in higher up for injury purposes as needed.

Edit - or as a 3rd line LW, depending on how the 4th line is utilized.

:lol:

Fair enough. But even so, the end game still probably doesn't involve Girgensons in a top 6 role, when we are a playoff/contending team. Perhaps he's able to consistently fulfil the role of left wing next to Eichel, and I'd like to see him get a chance at it, but I'm not betting on it, long term. I think down the line his future may still lie as a top tier 4C who can fill in higher up for injury purposes as needed.

You probably have more reasonable expectations than I do for Zemgus, given his most recent season. I still have hope for him as a top 6er long term. I could see him being Jack's Kunitz.

You probably have more reasonable expectations than I do for Zemgus, given his most recent season. I still have hope for him as a top 6er long term. I could see him being Jack's Kunitz.

I would be thrilled if that happened and I hope Girgensons gets a chance to earn that. Would solve the long term future of our top 6 LW in all likelihood with Nylander hopefully able to slide in as the other.

I think there's a reasonable possibility that Zemgus beats out Larsson for #3 center at some point during this season.

This is definitely something I could see happening. It's only going to be a positive thing if both Larsson and Girgensons continue to improve, and one ends up as the 4C. It means we'll have a good likelihood of being able to roll 4 lines.

Edited by Thorny

I think there's a reasonable possibility that Zemgus beats out Larsson for #3 center at some point during this season.

I don't really see this happening. Zemgus is a defensively responsible player, but I don't think his defense is actively good enough to anchor Hot Daniel's 3rd line. To my eye, Larsson is much tougher to play against.

This is where I'm at...which means there's a 90% probability that Bylsma disagrees.

I don't think he disagrees. Girgensons looks to be starting as the 4C, and if I had to guess I think he'd put him at wing before the 3C spot. Granted, I did say I could see it happening, but I think that would be only in the situation where Larsson has a disappointing season.

You guys remember during the tank season when Larsson racked up a bunch of points between Ennis and Moulson? I think we're going to see a mix of that Larsson and last season's Larsson. Shutting the other teams down AND scoring on the regs.

At full potential reached he's pretty much the ideal third line centre.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.