Dan Bylsma Radio Segment

Brawndo

DD was at the GR Studios to record a commercial today and he dropped by Hotline Hockey for two segments.

He spoke about quite a few topics including have Risto's Corsi Number is not indicative of his play. 

He also went into detail how he views analytics.

States he believes only 50% of HCs use Analytics in game planning. 

His first segment starts at 3:40 and the second 24:36.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/116333739/8-15-hockey-hotline-hr-2.htm

Very interesting stuff. 

It was awesome actually. Hearing slap down some analytics while propping up others. Getting a swipe in that a shot from a guy like Rivet or him doesn't have the same value as a shot from Crosby. Highly recommend everyone listen to it. It's informative and rather comical also and was a great listen.

There sometimes is a perception among fans that coaches are morons.

We so seldom get insight into why they are the best the world at what they do.

Dan gives us some sense of that here.

Insight.

I admit guilt to think DD was an empty suit but his interview was compelling. Certainly way more cerebral than most here gave him credit for. I think I like DD.

DD said upon arrival said winning is directly related to playing more often in the o zone.  I think his attention to detail about how you go about doing that is something I did not give him credit for.  I stand corrected. 

It was awesome actually. Hearing slap down some analytics while propping up others. Getting a swipe in that a shot from a guy like Rivet or him doesn't have the same value as a shot from Crosby. Highly recommend everyone listen to it. It's informative and rather comical also and was a great listen.

Without listening to the interview, that's pretty interesting.  I wonder if our analytics kids have tried to weight the shot counts used in Corsi with values like the shooter's shooting percentage or some metric of quality of shot based on where the shot was taken.  That could help Corsi-based stats account for quality of player or quality of scoring chance, and reward teams that, for instance, allow lots of shots but only from the outside or from scrubs.

But dump and chase is a split second decision executed by a player. How would he go about influencing that other than playing time and line combos?

Do you not think coaching influences that decision? I think it does. We had guys dumping when it wasn't even close to required (sort of like the Kings do, only we don't have the right players to consistently retrieve). Secondly, zone entries specifically designed to encourage maintaining possession. Teams like Chicago have these things scripted (as much as they can be in hockey, anyway). Dumping the puck should be last resort, and I don't think it was for us.

But dump and chase is a split second decision executed by a player.  How would he go about influencing that other than playing time and line combos?

If they're dumping it in in practices, they'll dump it in in the games. If the main options they work on in practice are entries, dump & chase'll become a last resort.

Both true, but the type of player also factors in. Jack carries everything while Foligno and Dlo dump more often than not. As the roster evolves I think you will see less dump and more entries. And I think Kane, Dlo, Gionta and Foligno are classic retrievers so to speak.

All valid points, and I am a proponent of maintaining possession into the ozone.  I just don't know if I want foligno or moulson cycling back like the red army to tty it.  I also think the best teams have dmen that assist in this , i.e. jumping up as the outlet, but we do not have enough, or the right ones on the roster.  Coaching and system play a large part, but if the goal is to play in the ozone as much as possible, I think the.north south type of players tend to instinctively dump it.  

I would expect players like Nylander, ROR, Jack , Sam and otbers to use their superior skill to gain the zone, but I question whether others have that skill.  Gionta is a great example of someone who drives me nuts when he dumps it, but do you sit the Captain to drive home a point?   

I like the dump and chase if they use it to punish the opposing D men. Other than that its maddening to give up possession of the puck. Anyways I also subscribe to the theory upthread that as your roster improves you'll see less of that Dump. At least on the top lines.

Me too.  I think we saw at the end guys settling into roles.  If that continues and they improve in the roles I think we can be a better possession team.

I want to know if Dump and Chase was the motto to start the season while everyone learned their defensive responsibilities. It seemed that around the all star break the team started playing different style of hockey. Hard to say but I am more than willing to give Bylsma another year to implement his style. I expect full implementation at this point.

PS: actual hockey discussion is fun.

Yes!

I think the motto was north south.  But there was little thought given to what to do once you are challenged at the zone.  This was particularly noticeable in the drop in cross ice dzone passes.  Maybe it is slower process to implement the system.jmho

All valid points, and I am a proponent of maintaining possession into the ozone.  I just don't know if I want foligno or moulson cycling back like the red army to tty it.  I also think the best teams have dmen that assist in this , i.e. jumping up as the outlet, but we do not have enough, or the right ones on the roster.  Coaching and system play a large part, but if the goal is to play in the ozone as much as possible, I think the.north south type of players tend to instinctively dump it.  

I would expect players like Nylander, ROR, Jack , Sam and otbers to use their superior skill to gain the zone, but I question whether others have that skill.  Gionta is a great example of someone who drives me nuts when he dumps it, but do you sit the Captain to drive home a point?   

Interesting.

PS: actual hockey discussion is fun.

What - you don't enjoy endlessly psychoanalyzing a 23 year-old Harvard grad?

I want to know if Dump and Chase was the motto to start the season while everyone learned their defensive responsibilities. It seemed that around the all star break the team started playing different style of hockey. Hard to say but I am more than willing to give Bylsma another year to implement his style. I expect full implementation at this point.

Also interesting.

Didn't Dan say early on was that a basic tenet of his game plan was forcing the D to turn and chase?

I seem to recall that he even had an analytics-based reason for it, i.e. that stats show that it resulted in more zone time, or some such.

Edited by dudacek

Didn't Dan say early on was that a basic tenet of his game plan was forcing the D to turn and chase?

I seem to recall that he even had an analytics-based reason for it, i.e. that stats show that it resulted in more zone time, or some such.

Getting the D to turn I know he talked about but it is easier for them to turn when you dump the puck versus skating it past them. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.