Dan Bylsma Radio Segment

Brawndo

Didn't Dan say early on was that a basic tenet of his game plan was forcing the D to turn and chase?

I seem to recall that he even had an analytics-based reason for it, i.e. that stats show that it resulted in more zone time, or some such.

The first part of this is right, but he most definitely did not have numbers to back it up. In one of the interviews after being hired he talked about how the hardest thing for a defenseman to do was to turn and chase the puck.

Ultimately I think it's one of those micro vs macro things: it's harder on the Dmen to turn and chase, but that doesn't offset what your own team sacrifices by giving up possession for a coin flip at getting it back.

Didn't Dan say early on was that a basic tenet of his game plan was forcing the D to turn and chase?

He has definitely mentioned that a few times.

The first part of this is right, but he most definitely did not have numbers to back it up. In one of the interviews after being hired he talked about how the hardest thing for a defenseman to do was to turn and chase the puck.

Ultimately I think it's one of those micro vs macro things: it's harder on the Dmen to turn and chase, but that doesn't offset what your own team sacrifices by giving up possession for a coin flip at getting it back.

Worth contemplating.

Isn't it really a team-to-team, player-by-player question though?

I don't want Jack flipping it into the corner, but Evander or Marcus is a different story.

And when its Evander flipping it in on Jared Cowan, seems to me that's a positive play.

Dan came across as someone who has it considered down to this level.

Edited by dudacek

I don't want Jack flipping it into the corner, but Evander or Marcus is a different story.

And when its Evander flipping it in on Jared Cowan, seems to me that's a positive play.

I remember a play where Jack dumped the puck, and Bylsma was talking into his ear on the bench afterwards. That was probably the only time all season he did that without it being the end of his shift.

Evander is good at carrying it across the line.

Early in the piece Bylsma said that Eichel led the league in puck possession time the second half the year, even more than Patrick Kane. And listening to the rest of the piece, I realized that Bylsma wasn't talking about Corsi (which is derived from the NHL game logs (or whatever they're called)).  To me, this means that the Sabres data department is making detailed notes from every game, and know how much time every player around the league has the puck. (Which, of course, they should be)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.