Summer 2016 Movie/TV Show thread

qwksndmonster

Does anybody else here watch Mr. Robot?

I watched the first episode awhile back; I think it might be on Netflix or something now but I haven't made the effort to seek it out. I will say at least for the first episode they're employing someone who does have a clue on how network security works.

Suicide Squad was bad. Like, the film makers don't know how to make films bad. A stupid, racist mess from top to bottom.

On the other hand, Nerve was really good. It's about teenagers, and features Dave Franko (who doesn't really act so much as be dumb and cute (be himself?)), but it's easily one of the best movies of the Summer. It has something to say about content over the internet and the messed up way a lot of kids view their relationship to the content and content creators.

I know we're all millenials, but this really feels aimed at the kids that are 3+ years younger than me. Emma Roberts was really good, and the movie has really cool colors.

Just finished season one of Narcos...muy bueno! Halfway through seasons 1-4 of House of Cards...shiz crazy! Watching Ballers season 2...meh, it's ok.

Just recently rewatched Bloodsport and Kickboxer, two classic Van Dam movies. Priceless.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but has anyone been watching Ray Donovan? I've only seen a. couple of episodes but it's pretty good,... sorta Breaking Bad-esque.

Although, I'm just about done with what the new normal of the American family is supposed to look like.

I'm finally getting around to watching "People vs OJ Siimpson" and it is outstanding.

Yes, it was. Between that series and some documentaries that were on around the same time, I learned a few things I never knew about the OJ situations.

I watched season 1 and didn't love it (understanding that most critics did).  I'm out on season 2.

I gave it a go for a few episodes in season 1 then quit it. The lead actor's eyes freaked me out.

I really enjoy Ballers, but they've got to take the next step soon. Add an extra element instead of just "little guy struggling to keep clients."

Also, they need to cut down on the mistakes. Mark Schlereth is terrible because they're forcing him to read from a script. They should just feed him all the information and let him go off script like he does at ESPN. He's probably never read a script live on television in his life (also they showed several shots of Schlereth glancing at the script). They also had several shots of the star WR's dead taking a drink but the drink in his hand switched three times in three shots (went from full drink in hand to half drink to full drink, straw in drink on the table to straw out to straw in).

Star Trek Beyond: eh. It's fun and loud and all, but I don't think it's a great movie. I might watch it again if it shows up on Netflix, but I won't go out of my way for it.

I felt the same.  I preferred the first two.  The "bees" reminded me of the bad version of Galactus in the Fantastic Four movie.

Watched Ex Machina and Deadpool over weekend.  Both were OK, but Ex felt incomplete, I wanted to know what happened next after the end.  Deadpool was a bit too goofy and didn't like breaking the 4th wall.  I prefer my superhero movies more serious.  I've been watching Daredevil and Jessica Jones on Netflix, and that's the type of "reality" superhero I prefer.

Star Trek Beyond: eh. It's fun and loud and all, but I don't think it's a great movie. I might watch it again if it shows up on Netflix, but I won't go out of my way for it.

I liked it so much better than Into Darkness.

(Into Darkness is one of the worst movies I've ever seen)

I love the cast so much. Except for Chris Pine, who is the most boring piece of wonderbread. Karl Urban and Zach Quinto are both so good. It's fun to watch them buddy cop.

Simon Pegg wrote himself a hot alien girlfriend. I guess he was sick of all the Scotty is gay jokes.

I liked it so much better than Into Darkness.

(Into Darkness is one of the worst movies I've ever seen)

I love the cast so much. Except for Chris Pine, who is the most boring piece of wonderbread. Karl Urban and Zach Quinto are both so good. It's fun to watch them buddy cop.

Simon Pegg wrote himself a hot alien girlfriend. I guess he was sick of all the Scotty is gay jokes.

I agree with the bolded, if the movies you've seen consists of just the 3 latest Trek movies. Into Darkness belongs no where near "worst ever" designation, not while movies like Cosmopolis are out there.

Having said that, I agree that Beyond was better. I really liked it, the characters, including Pine's Kirk.

To be honest I'm a huge Trek fan and have seen everything released.

I agree with the bolded, if the movies you've seen consists of just the 3 latest Trek movies. Into Darkness belongs no where near "worst ever" designation, not while movies like Cosmopolis are out there.

Having said that, I agree that Beyond was better. I really liked it, the characters, including Pine's Kirk.

To be honest I'm a huge Trek fan and have seen everything released.

People say this to me and I don't believe them.

People say this to me and I don't believe them.

It's such a curious case, Into Darkness. Last I checked, it was in the high 80s on RT, no easy feat. Yet it's an exceptionally polarizing movie from what I hear from various people. It's almost a love it or hate it type movie, for whatever reason.

Critics obviously aren't everything, but I've never heard so much negative buzz around such a critically acclaimed blockbuster. Maybe Avatar, but I can't remember how highly regarded that was critically.

For the parents and those with a bit of child left in them (and those who have read the book - French or English): watch The Little Prince. Netflix original. It uses the original story as a backdrop to a wonderful animated film. Beautiful story.

"The Night Of" is just outstanding.

I loved the first episode, and really appreciate their deliberate shotmaking.  So often I'm begging for editors to hold shots and let them breathe, but Night Of takes it to another level.  Episodes 2 and 3 are so slow they bored me.  The shots seemed like they were being held for their own sake, rather than in service to the story.  I'm burned out and I doubt I'll watch more.

So, I went to see a movie at a theater for the first time in 14 years (Catch Me If You Can). Saw the new Bourne movie on Sunday. Knew exactly what I was going to get. Got it and didn't care. It was great. The ending was a little kitschy, but the scene (not a spoiler) that takes place in during the Greek riots is un-funking-believable.

I loved the first episode, and really appreciate their deliberate shotmaking.  So often I'm begging for editors to hold shots and let them breathe, but Night Of takes it to another level.  Episodes 2 and 3 are so slow they bored me.  The shots seemed like they were being held for their own sake, rather than in service to the story.  I'm burned out and I doubt I'll watch more.

And yet you found Rust Cole's gibberish monologues in "True Detective" worthwhile.

It's a free country.

Anybody catch Stranger Things yet? It's a fun and unique show. Netflix original mostly driven by children in the show.

Soundtrack is perfect, too. Good 80s feel. I've got two episodes left but have really enjoyed it thus far.

My wife and I watched the first 2 episodes last night and we both really liked it.

Yes, it was. Between that series and some documentaries that were on around the same time, I learned a few things I never knew about the OJ situations.

I gave it a go for a few episodes in season 1 then quit it. The lead actor's eyes freaked me out.

Me too.

As far as that goes, I started watching the ESPN documentary on OJ a few days ago.  So far it is excellent.

One purely football tidbit that I found interesting:  during OJ's junior year, USC, ranked #4, played UCLA, ranked #1 and featuring a senior Heisman favorite at QB (Gary Beban, whom I don't think did anything in the NFL).  UCLA took a 20-14 lead in the 4th quarter.  USC had a 3rd-and-7 from their own 36 with 10 minutes to go and gave it to OJ, who took it 64 yards for the game-winning TD.  The game is still regarded as the most famous game of the USC-UCLA rivalry and one of the best college football games of all time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.