Can we compare Eichel to Jamie Benn?

Redneck

Benn was a 5th round pick in 2007 and look how he has developed.  When you look at his skill set, size, speed, shot and puck handling, Eichel can be even better.  Certainly Eichel was drafted with much higher fan-fare, but if he gets to Benn's level and maintains it for 10+ years, are we happy?  Or, who else do we want Eichel to be like?

Living in Dallas, I have seen Benn develop.  I think where the Stamkos comparison breaks down with Eichel's strength.  I see Stamkos as a speed guy with above-average strength.  Eichel has elite speed/strength.  I have heard the Mario comparisons also. Another comparison for Eichel - a more talented Toews.

I've been thinking of comparisons to what Jack might become. I've heard Mario and Stamkos. I really like the Benn one through, hadn't thought of that. I'm curious to see what overs think of it

The Stamkos one never made sense to me as Stamkos is a shoot first, pure scorer. Eichel is a playmaker first. Who can also snipe.

Getzlaf is a closer comparison. Elite size, strength, and playmaking ability. Jack should pull away with his finishing ability, however.

I'm not sure Eichel will ever have the defensive game that Toews has

Most likely true. And Toews will never have the offensive game Eichel has. So Toews isn't a great benchmark, either, I don't think.

If we have a player that compares to Toews, style wise, it's probably Reinhart. Or even O'Reilly.

The Benn comparison to Eichel is a pretty good one, actually. I'll stick with Getzlaf as my current favourite comparison, though. With Eichel having a higher max potential.

Edited by Thorny

He's also only 19, I believe he'll get there.

Anyways, you won't be able to find the perfect comparison. He's obviously his own unique player. I like the Getzlaf compassion because they are very similar in their playmaking ways, and for both players it is their strongest asset.

Not a comparison in his game, but in his role and stature, if Murray builds a team around him, I really see Sakic/Yzerman/Perreault/Modano — a perennial top-10 scorer, playmaking centre, well-respected competitor and hall-of-famer.

I can't remember who suggested it back in the day, but I see Malkin. The size, the impossible to handle physicality when engaged, the freight train-like burst of speed (I think injuries have sapped Malkin of this, sadly), the great shot yet still being more of a playmaker than scorer. 

BTW Dudacek, I'm not ignoring your #fancystats questions in the other thread, just been busy...will hopefully get to a reply tomorrow.

I can't remember who suggested it back in the day, but I see Malkin. The size, the impossible to handle physicality when engaged, the freight train-like burst of speed (I think injuries have sapped Malkin of this, sadly), the great shot yet still being more of a playmaker than scorer. 

BTW Dudacek, I'm not ignoring your #fancystats questions in the other thread, just been busy...will hopefully get to a reply tomorrow.

Where is this conversation? Looks like I missed some stuff over the weekend 

The only Toews comparison to Eichel will be the number of Stanley Cups won, and Eichel will edge him by a cup or two.

Jack is like if Fedorov didn't really know how to play defense, but also picked up Sakic's wrist shot.

He also looks a lot like Modano.

Federov *didn't* know how to play defense.  Scotty Bowman played him at defense for almost a full season to teach him.  True story.

Jack Eichel will be Jack Eichel.  There hasn't been anybody like him yet, let him be his own dog.    I hate these stupid comparisons.

You have to admit that seeing the thread title and then choosing to click in here just to post this comment seems like a waste of your time and energy given that you hate these stupid comparisons.

You have to admit that seeing the thread title and then choosing to click in here just to post this comment seems like a waste of your time and energy given that you hate these stupid comparisons.

In retrospect, yes, it was a waste of my time to post that comment in this thread.  I won't make that mistake again. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.