World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

Jack sometimes doesn't engage in plays but watches, I think he does this to see how the play unfolds. He needs to engage more in plays instead of waiting for them to unfold. Last night in a game of his peers he sat back more than I felt he should. Sorry this doesn't count as legitimate criticism.

post-37129-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just

Your take on Eichel engendered a lot of blowback. Most of it warranted, imo. I'm not sure that's indicative of people having sticks up their .

You know what does seem sort of ass-sticky? Saying you're going to log off for a good long while because a take you had engendered a lot of blowback.

Well I have now been vilified and my point about Eichel bastardized. Yea done. 

To clarify because.... I never said he "owes us". I was responding to being criticized for being mildly critical of Jack floating. Jack is in for a rough ride because he has to be good because a lot of fans will expect that. Those are called expectations. Jack Eichel doesn't owe me Jack, but he has high expectations placed upon him. 

Time for a sabbatical. This place has always had a stick up its collective ass about anything critical of Eichel's play. Jack sometimes doesn't engage in plays but watches, I think he does this to see how the play unfolds. He needs to engage more in plays instead of waiting for them to unfold. Last night in a game of his peers he sat back more than I felt he should. Sorry this doesn't count as legitimate criticism.

Credible media observers as well as many of us here, disagree with your assessment that he sat back. His play has been lauded, especially the one he made to start Gaudreau's goal as well as his 200 ft. game which requires the hustle you suggest he didn't show by "floating." If you want to only stick to critiquing his negatives, that's fine and even warranted, but it he did make some plays last night and it's only fair to give him credit, too. 

Maybe it's that stick up my ass, but it's enough that he has high expectations placed upon him and every struggle he has is magnified as it is. He'll either meet, exceed, or fail to live up to whatever expectations there are of him. But you are the one that tied your suffering throughout the tank to your expectations of him and that certainly sounds like you are expecting some payback for that suffering. You may not have said "owes" but it sure sounded like it. 

And I'm gonna say it: A relation of mine who's super smart, lovely, and, yes, a Millenial had posted something on social media a few weeks back in which she related that she could no longer bear to watch an Olympic sport she adores because she found the announcers so offensive and idiotic. And it wasn't just hyperbole. She legitimately was no longer watching the competitions in a sport she adores and used to play herself.

I'm saying it: There's a generational tendency in this cohort to shut stuff down rather than continue to engage and slog through adversity, disagreement, and even unpleasantness. Hence micro-aggressions, safe places, and such.

Holy hell.

I'll comment fully when I get back to my dorm, today has been crazy.

It HAS been nuts, yeah?

LET'S DO THIS!

p.s. I am almost certainly offline for 48+ hours starting in 15 minutes. 

P.p.s. Maybe let's find another thread for such matters, though.

P.p.p.s. I said pee-pee.

It HAS been nuts, yeah?

LET'S DO THIS!

p.s. I am almost certainly offline for 48+ hours starting in 15 minutes.

P.p.s. Maybe let's find another thread for such matters, though.

P.p.p.s. I said pee-pee.

Have a safe weekend, Smell.

I can make a new thread if the mods want to move the Eichel discussion as I also want to post more about the game in general. I'm doing quantum mechanics in a dingy laundry room right now and can't wait to bring my mind back to hockey.

It may be time to up the dosage.

Well - here's the thing: You're unable to control what Eichel does or does not do (try as you might - you can't telekinetically direct him on the ice (to stop him from "floating") or force him to shorten his stick). You are, however, able to control that with which you are medicating yourself. Like I said: You may want to consider a higher dose of whatever it is.

As modified, yes.

Not interested in doing so. You may be getting blamed for an accumulation of griping that others did. If so, I apologize.

Edit: Your rejoinder about how you've lived through the Sabres' down times, and Jack is the icing or the cake or whatever -- a bit much there. A bit.

Never a bad idea to log off for a while when people get annoying (and that can and does include me (being annoying)). 

Wegmans is great at many things. Cakes are not among those things.

There are grocery stores that do a very good job with cakes, though. Giant Eagle, for one.

Interesting take - at first, I didn't realize what you were saying. Subtle.

He was a rookie last year. This year, a second year pro. It struck me last year that the "floating" that people see is part of a process whereby he is trying to figure out the game at this level. I can't imagine anyone would suggest that he floats because he's lazy, uncommitted, not hockey smart, etc. Seems like he's trying to figure sh1t out.

I feel the weight, rush, and push of modernity when people start priming the pump for Eichel criticism. Slow. Yo. Roll, fellas.

Everything?!

Honest question: Is it the young turks here who are cracking the whip on #15?

I am reading "shouldn't" there as being intended as "didn't" and it is bothering the sh1t out of me.

What the hell is going on in here?!

JACK EICHEL WILL BE FINE.

So - he's been demoted to the wing.

:ph34r:

But he ain't centering a line no more, see?

:ph34r:  :ph34r:

I ask again: What the ###### is going on in here with regard to the Eichel hang wringing?!

Jesus Christ on a goddamned popsicle stick.

I was jokingly continuing the line of thinking re Eichel not showing, being enough.

You're right Aud, sorry for being upset about the interesting hockey discussion we were having where you disagreed with me and not for the quips about me needing medications. Also the basically just shouting down of anyone who dared to question Eichel. Just me being a Millenial I guess, not knowing how to talk about hockey and stuff. My bad... 

Edited by LGR4GM

And I'm gonna say it: A relation of mine who's super smart, lovely, and, yes, a Millenial had posted something on social media a few weeks back in which she related that she could no longer bear to watch an Olympic sport she adores because she found the announcers so offensive and idiotic. And it wasn't just hyperbole. She legitimately was no longer watching the competitions in a sport she adores and used to play herself.

I'm saying it: There's a generational tendency in this cohort to shut stuff down rather than continue to engage and slog through adversity, disagreement, and even unpleasantness. Hence micro-aggressions, safe places, and such.

Why didn't she just watch it and turn the volume off?  I do that with Dick Vitale all the time.

Have a safe weekend, Smell.

I can make a new thread if the mods want to move the Eichel discussion as I also want to post more about the game in general. I'm doing quantum mechanics in a dingy laundry room right now and can't wait to bring my mind back to hockey.

Hahaha -- ahhh. I thought you were weighing in on the Millenial hand grenade I rolled down the aisle.

If it's in re Jack-o, then, by all means, here.

Why didn't she just watch it and turn the volume off? I do that with Dick Vitale all the time.

Precisely what I said.

You're right Aud, sorry for being upset about the interesting hockey discussion we were having where you disagreed with me and not for the quips about me needing medications. Also the basically just shouting down of anyone who dared to question Eichel. Just me being a Millenial I guess, not knowing how to talk about hockey and stuff. My bad...

Up the dosage is a rhetorical metaphor. That's all.

As for my repeated calls for sanity, they weren't in all caps, so I mos def wasn't shouting.

You are totes being a Millenial.

I get where you are coming from and you have every right to make your view on the matter heard, and I can't speak for everyone, but I don't like how it keeps getting framed in a way that implies those disagreeing with the viewpoint you are expressing are just "shouting down" any criticism of Eichel because it's ludicrous as a rule. I'm not against criticism of him or any other player for that matter, when I believe it's warranted. I just happen to wholeheartedly disagree with the criticism of Eichel in this case for a myriad of reasons.

There is not one single aspect of the crticism of his play yesterday I agree with, on any level.

Hahaha -- ahhh. I thought you were weighing in on the Millenial hand grenade I rolled down the aisle.

If it's in re Jack-o, then, by all means, here.

Precisely what I said.

Up the dosage is a rhetorical metaphor. That's all.

As for my repeated calls for sanity, they weren't in all caps, so I mos def wasn't shouting.

You are totes being a Millenial.

Oops- nah, I don't care about that. I'm used to people older than me using anecdotal evidence as their crutches in arguments.

Just kidding!

Still am missing that all-things-Eichel thread we had around here so I might start one anyway.

Oops- nah, I don't care about that. I'm used to people older than me using anecdotal evidence as their crutches in arguments.

Just kidding!

Still am missing that all-things-Eichel thread we had around here so I might start one anyway.

Hahaha. Nice.

As for Eichel, didn't the last Everything Jack thread get shut down by mods?

I get where you are coming from and you have every right to make your view on the matter heard, and I can't speak for everyone, but I don't like how it keeps getting framed in a way that implies those disagreeing with the viewpoint you are expressing are just "shouting down" any criticism of Eichel because it's ludicrous as a rule. I'm not against criticism of him or any other player for that matter, when I believe it's warranted. I just happen to wholeheartedly disagree with the criticism of Eichel in this case for a myriad of reasons.

There is not one single aspect of the crticism of his play yesterday I agree with, on any level.

You're not the one shouting us down though ;)

Liger has a point. It was the same way most of the season and last offseason. Speak bad about Jack and there are a million reasons why he did something poorly. He's not infallible

Edited by WildCard

You're not the one shouting us down though ;)

Liger has a point. It was the same way most of the season and last offseason. Speak bad about Jack and there are a million reasons why he did something poorly. He's not infallible

I agree. I just disagree with these particular criticisms.

On another note, the intensity for this game is much higher than I thought it would be. I would be stoked for the tournament now, but this just makes the Team NA idea so much worse. The intensity is due to nationalistic pride, so what happens when Canada plays half Canada in the final? Or US plays half US? Kills the momentum. It's not a true world tournament.

Are the plans still to scrap the Team NA and Europe going forward?

Damn. You know someone whose a millenial who posted something on social media? And from this you drew a conclusion for the most populous generation on earth?

I'm gonna say it: I know this old man on Sabrespace who used the forum to post a micro-agression to deride a generation for its micro-agressions. There's a generational tendency in this cohort to use narrow, combative definitions for subjects and actions they don't understand, akin to my grandfather and his iPhone. 

Team LGR and Card here for the most part. It's only healthy to criticize our sacred cow, especially after a brutal first when he did nothing to dissuade detractors of his low-effort floating rep. It's not a new criticism that he exhibits less effort while making things look effortless. I'll also take their scouting over national ESPN media who just needed to write a sentence about him. 

I agree. I just disagree with these particular criticisms.

On another note, the intensity for this game is much higher than I thought it would be. I would be stoked for the tournament now, but this just makes the Team NA idea so much worse. The intensity is due to nationalistic pride, so what happens when Canada plays half Canada in the final? Or US plays half US? Kills the momentum. It's not a true world tournament.

Are the plans still to scrap the Team NA and Europe going forward?

This game is downright nasty. Definitely a lot of pride out there.

Apparently I missed this, but Team USA named Quick the starter and has Schneider riding the bench? What in God's name does Jon Quick have to do to be recognized as merely an above average goalie? His style is fun as hell to watch, but Schneider and Bishop are both objectively better at stopping the puck.

I'm cheering against USA because I don't want this group of buffoons anywhere near the Olympic team. Good lord.

Copied and pasted from the Twitter:

5v5 SV% the past 3 seasons:

Jonathan Quick - .928

Ben Bishop - .926

Damn. You know someone whose a millenial who posted something on social media? And from this you drew a conclusion for the most populous generation on earth?.

Those observations were representative of a much larger sampling I've gathered over time. And the behaviours I've observed are predictive, not determinative. There's a reason the dean at U Chicago issued that corrective memo to incoming students this August.

I'm gonna say it: I know this old man on Sabrespace who used the forum to post a micro-agression to deride a generation for its micro-agressions. There's a generational tendency in this cohort to use narrow, combative definitions for subjects and actions they don't understand, akin to my grandfather and his iPhone.

Good effort on repurposing my #hottake. You Millenials sure do like to recycle.

I didn't take a shot at anyone's micro aggressions: I observed what seems to be a thin skinnedness (a word?). Maybe a bit unfairly. But, it's consonant with my experience.

And I think I understand the issues pretty well. Also, I'm posting from an iPhone.

You'd have done better to take a shot at me as being part of an apathetic cohort of slackers who don't even constitute a proper generation because of ... I dunno. Birth control?

It's only healthy to criticize our sacred cow, especially after a brutal first when he did nothing to dissuade detractors of his low-effort floating rep. It's not a new criticism that he exhibits less effort while making things look effortless. I'll also take their scouting over national ESPN media who just needed to write a sentence about him.

Low effort floating rep.

Got it.

This thread should probably be soaked in kerosene and burned out back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.