Goal support for each goalie

spndnchz

Goal Support per 60 minutes (Goals scored by BUF) brought to you by @SabresStats

Chad Johnson = 2.68

Linus Ullmark = 1.97

Robin Lehner = 1.47

Why?

I don't know that this is the answer--I haven't watched closely enough to compare--but is it possible that Lehner freezes the puck more often, rather than distributing it to a defenseman, leading to more in-zone faceoffs and fewer breakout passes?

I don't know that this is the answer--I haven't watched closely enough to compare--but is it possible that Lehner freezes the puck more often, rather than distributing it to a defenseman, leading to more in-zone faceoffs and fewer breakout passes?

Ok fancy stat people find me that one. How many defensive zone faceoffs per game when each goalie starts.

I have no reason to doubt you.

Ok, next idea?

You guys are confusing correlation (team scores less when Lehner plays) with causation (Lehner causes Sabres to score less).  Without spending the time to figure it out or actually watch the Sabres play, I'm certain it's a trend of the team, not a difference in goaltending producing offense.  Most of Lehner's games are recent, so a recent trend by the team of decreased scoring will cause correlation between Lehner and goal scoring.

If you want my guess as to the cause of the trend, the team has some injuries, and Blysma, in roundyball lingo, has a really short bench.  O'Reilly plays almost a minute more per game than than the second highest forward in the league.  Kane is third in the league in forward minutes per game.  My theory is that O'Reilly and Kane are tired, and stopped scoring.  I wrote about it more a few months ago here (it's in the Bylsma post) when 5 players were in the top 50 league wise in minutes per game for forwards.  Since then Blysma has cut back minutes for some, but not for O'Reilly and Kane.

Edited by rakish

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.