Marvel and DC Comics superthread

LGR4GM

I don't think we enjoy the same kind of thing.

Scott Pilgrim didn't let its action-comedy genre get in the way of trying something different.

Skyfall was excellent and Spectre was terrible because they actually tried in Skyfall.

There's nothing wrong with movies that have simple plots that you turn your brain off for. But those movies MUST be visually interesting. They need to be built with vivid ideas of visual storytelling.

Ant Man had a gimmick where mini characters were fighting on a toy train. That was a neat idea, and there were a couple cool shots that resulted from it. But that was the only time the movie charmed me.

That's probably true. Most of my work involves being hyper critical, so when I watch a movie I just want to shut down and enjoy the ride. I still have some standards, of course, but it's pretty clear I'm more easy going about the whole thing than you are.

That's probably true. Most of my work involves being hyper critical, so when I watch a movie I just want to shut down and enjoy the ride. I still have some standards, of course, but it's pretty clear I'm more easy going about the whole thing than you are.

Hahaha my work isn't very intellectual, so movies are when I love thinking.

I watched Fury Road again with the family on Thanksgiving. It's the best action movie I've seen in a while. Non-stop action. Great visuals. Everything was spot on.

So fun! And they tried really hard to depict a culture where horrble things happen to women without the movie's tone coming off gender-normative. Game of Thrones should take notes, but they won't.

I don't think we enjoy the same kind of thing.

Scott Pilgrim didn't let its action-comedy genre get in the way of trying something different.

Skyfall was excellent and Spectre was terrible because they actually tried in Skyfall.

There's nothing wrong with movies that have simple plots that you turn your brain off for. But those movies MUST be visually interesting. They need to be built with vivid ideas of visual storytelling.

Ant Man had a gimmick where mini characters were fighting on a toy train. That was a neat idea, and there were a couple cool shots that resulted from it. But that was the only time the movie charmed me.

I know Spectre wasn't as good as Skyfall, but I don't agree at all that Spectre didn't try anything. The plotting I thought was actually rather ambitious. That's not to say it all came together perfectly, but the movie had several good moments, and was a bit more Craig Bond meets Old School Bond. Obviously if you didn't like it it's a perfectly valid viewpoint, but I doubt Sam Mendes, who did both Skyfall and Spectre, just decided to half-ass Spectre after going full out for Skyfall. The results can be debated I think but not the effort.

I watched Fury Road again with the family on Thanksgiving. It's the best action movie I've seen in a while. Non-stop action. Great visuals. Everything was spot on.

I agree. Best movie of the summer I think, and best action movie I've seen in a good long while.

Edited by Thorny

I'm a huge fan of Justice League/Superfriends. I cannot wait to get to the actual movie with all of the characters which apparently is several years away gehhhh

Pleeeeaase tell me they won't include the Wonder Twins if they do make that one.

Wonder Twin powers activate: form of a hamster, form of an ice cucumber; Gleek randomly tittering. Most. Annoying. "Super." Heros. Ever. :wallbash:

Pleeeeaase tell me they won't include the Wonder Twins if they do make that one.

Wonder Twin powers activate: form of a hamster, form of an ice cucumber; Gleek randomly tittering. Most. Annoying. "Super." Heros. Ever. :wallbash:

Yeah, umm wonder twins will probably not be in the movie versions. If they are I'm betting they will be a hell of alot cooler

I know Spectre wasn't as good as Skyfall, but I don't agree at all that Spectre didn't try anything. The plotting I thought was actually rather ambitious. That's not to say it all came together perfectly, but the movie had several good moments, and was a bit more Craig Bond meets Old School Bond. Obviously if you didn't like it it's a perfectly valid viewpoint, but I doubt Sam Mendes, who did both Skyfall and Spectre, just decided to half-ass Spectre after going full out for Skyfall. The results can be debated I think but not the effort.

You should read my post about Spectre in the Fall/Winter movies thread.  It really felt to me like nobody put their soul into Spectre.

You should read my post about Spectre in the Fall/Winter movies thread.  It really felt to me like nobody put their soul into Spectre.

Cool, I'll check it out, thanks for the heads-up. I did really like Spectre though. I thought the actors were really game for the most part. I saw it twice and liked it more the second time. The plotting does go a bit wonky near the end, but not enough for me to not enjoy the movie.

New Batman vs. Superman trailer. I think I'm going to hate this movie, I saw nothing to indicate Superman would turn out to be the dick they're making him into

One of my favorite theater experiences I've ever had

My problem with anticipating the new Batman/Superman movie, is that it is directed by Zack Snyder. I hate his directing style, and I've pretty much disliked every movie he has ever made with the exception of 300, as a purely throw-away popcorn movie. I don't like how he handles drama, I don't like how he handles character development. As the driving force behind the DC Cinematic Universe, he has me soured on the whole thing, at this point. Hopefully it's better than expected.

My problem with anticipating the new Batman/Superman movie, is that it is directed by Zack Snyder. I hate his directing style, and I've pretty much disliked every movie he has ever made with the exception of 300, as a purely throw-away popcorn movie. I don't like how he handles drama, I don't like how he handles character development. As the driving force behind the DC Cinematic Universe, he has me soured on the whole thing, at this point. Hopefully it's better than expected.

I totally get this, but as one of the (seemingly) few who enjoyed Man of Steel, I'm looking forward to it. I really like the concept of Superman being hailed as some kind of god, and Batman being bitter and angry over the destruction caused in MoS. Will it come together? Who knows, and there's certainly a lot that could go wrong (I'm looking at you Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor) but I'm hopeful.

I totally get this, but as one of the (seemingly) few who enjoyed Man of Steel, I'm looking forward to it. I really like the concept of Superman being hailed as some kind of god, and Batman being bitter and angry over the destruction caused in MoS. Will it come together? Who knows, and there's certainly a lot that could go wrong (I'm looking at you Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor) but I'm hopeful.

I just wonder how much they use the other superheros that have been talked about.  I wish they were simply just background or maybe presented at the end, but it sounds like Wonder Woman will have a bit more to her role.  I worry about overload from these characters, especially since they have zero development.  At least with Batman, even though this is a new version, he's VERY familiar to all.

Oh, and I hope Bats has a Sherlock Holmes hat and glasses to go along with that trench coat.  He needs to live up to that detective label.

Anybody in here watch Gotham? It's a network TV show so it's got a mix of cheesiness and lack of important character deaths, but it's great. A lot of Batman nostalgia as it follows Jim Gordon while Bruce Wayne is just a teenager.

I enjoy it, but they're rushing some of these villains a bit though, especially last night's reveal.  They're at least ten years away from Batman, some of these guys should not be active yet.  Young Penguin and Nygma, that's fine, but it feels way too early for where the next half of the season is going.  That said, I wonder which of the two villains revealed last night will play the bigger role moving forward.

As a Batman junkie, I do absolutely hate that they have killed off

Sionis and Maroni

already.

I enjoy it, but they're rushing some of these villains a bit though, especially last night's reveal. They're at least ten years away from Batman, some of these guys should not be active yet. Young Penguin and Nygma, that's fine, but it feels way too early for where the next half of the season is going. That said, I wonder which of the two villains revealed last night will play the bigger role moving forward.

As a Batman junkie, I do absolutely hate that they have killed off

Sionis and Maroni

already.

I think the title sequence is the clue as to which character will be bigger. They already cast him so we know he'll be coming immediately.

I do agree that they're going kind of fast with some of the villains, but they have to keep it interesting somehow. We've seen several hints at other villains so far, but they're still clearly a ways off.

This show could honestly go on to become a Batman show over time with Jim Gordon taking a backseat. They'd have to make some jumps in time in between seasons, but it would be fun to follow.

I think the title sequence is the clue as to which character will be bigger. They already cast him so we know he'll be coming immediately.

I do agree that they're going kind of fast with some of the villains, but they have to keep it interesting somehow. We've seen several hints at other villains so far, but they're still clearly a ways off.

This show could honestly go on to become a Batman show over time with Jim Gordon taking a backseat. They'd have to make some jumps in time in between seasons, but it would be fun to follow.

Yeah, the name dropped villain probably comes in for season 3, but I wouldn't base that solely on the title screen.  That was an obvious move given the last scene.  I'm still holding out hope that the other villain becomes much bigger.  I think there's more to work with there.

Also, my big question right now is how exactly they redeem Barbara enough to have Gordon name his daughter after her.  I'd imagine some sort of self-sacrifice, but it's going to take a lot to make that happen.

Yeah, the name dropped villain probably comes in for season 3, but I wouldn't base that solely on the title screen. That was an obvious move given the last scene. I'm still holding out hope that the other villain becomes much bigger. I think there's more to work with there.

Also, my big question right now is how exactly they redeem Barbara enough to have Gordon name his daughter after her. I'd imagine some sort of self-sacrifice, but it's going to take a lot to make that happen.

The title sequence was snowy for a while and getting slightly "colder" later in the season despite it not snowing durin the show. I think that was all about him.

The title sequence was snowy for a while and getting slightly "colder" later in the season despite it not snowing durin the show. I think that was all about him.

There's no need to explain it.  The title screen was as blatant a reference as possible.  It can just be about him suddenly showing up though, it doesn't necessarily mean it's all him the rest of the way.  I'm not so sure they can go with just him for the rest of the season.

There's no need to explain it. The title screen was as blatant a reference as possible. It can just be about him suddenly showing up though, it doesn't necessarily mean it's all him the rest of the way. I'm not so sure they can go with just him for the rest of the season.

I don't believe they've caster Strange, though. At least it hasn't been announced. But they shouldn't kill either of them this early if that's where they're going.

I don't believe they've caster Strange, though. At least it hasn't been announced. But they shouldn't kill either of them this early if that's where they're going.

I just wonder if Ra's al Ghul's name ever pops up in a puppet master pulling the strings kind of way.  That one actually makes a ton of sense given that he's like 500 years old.  Actually bringing him onto the show wouldn't make much sense, but a few subtle hints towards his existence would be cool.

Yeah, the premise does seem like a cool one, and it sounds interesting. I'm just not sold on Synder being able to deliver. Speaking of Man of Steel, I did think it was decent, but specifically when compared to Superman Returns, which pretty much just came off as a tribute to the Superman movies of old. That's a movie that didn't try anything new.

Anybody in here watch Gotham? It's a network TV show so it's got a mix of cheesiness and lack of important character deaths, but it's great. A lot of Batman nostalgia as it follows Jim Gordon while Bruce Wayne is just a teenager.

I love Gotham. Good discussion going on here, can't really chime right now though as I am a couple of episodes behind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.