Who is the captain next year?

freester

Why Kane? What has he done in 'peg or here that you would bestow an A?

To be honest, he hasn't done anything, it's more of a gut feeling because I don't see anyone else in there that could get an 'A'. Moulson? Seems too quite. Des, Foligno, Larsson, McGinn? Not enough of a prominent role. McCabe, Pysk, Jack, Samson? Too young. Legwand will be gone, and so will Weber. I always though Zemgus would get it, or maybe even Risto, but I feel like Kane would get it over them (just gut feeling).

Jack could get it I suppose, and I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I'd like to see how he handles his first season first. And giving a 2nd year player the 'A' can't go over too well, unless your Landeskog. Not sure how Penguin's teammates handled Sid getting the 'C' so early

Edited by WildCard

I think Gionta will make the team next year, because I don't think enough of the RW prospects will make it to push him out, and I have a hard time seeing him lose the C while still a Sabre, so I think we have one more year of Gionta as the C after this one.

Interesting. 

Does anyone else think Gionta stays? Flagg has a point, we need RW. 

Interesting. 

I do think he's eventually going to return to the level at which he finished last year, which is why I reason that he'll make next year's team. 

If he doesn't, then my captain choice would change.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I do think he's eventually going to return to the level at which he finished last year, which is why I reason that he'll make next year's team. 

If he doesn't, then my captain choice would change.

I just don't see him returning to that pace he held the last month or so. Even if he does, he'll be what, 37? There has to be someone younger down in Rochester at the very least that is cheaper and can do what Gionta does as well if not better. 

We have some big RFA's next offseason. Rasmus, Zemgus, McCabe, Foligno, Larsson, Des, and Schaller are all RFA's, and McGinn is a UFA I really want back. Take Weber and Gionta off the books, pay those RFA's (well, most of them), and find some complimentary talent in the offseason. I'm not sure if Baptiste or Bailey would be ready by then, but I doubt it. 

Edited by WildCard

I want qwerty on a jersey. I don't think letters mean much. Leaders lead, captains take ceremonial face offs.

I agree with this, but I still want O'Reilly to get the C. Because reasons.

I think Gionta will make the team next year, because I don't think enough of the RW prospects will make it to push him out, and I have a hard time seeing him lose the C while still a Sabre, so I think we have one more year of Gionta as the C after this one.

I agree he's here and keeps the C, but mostly because I just don't think we buy him out or waive him. He's not useless, but he's not a top-6 player anymore and he should be next year's Legwand.

Interesting. 

Yup, next year's Legwand. Plus there's not a good reason to extend his cap hit through a buyout.

Yup, next year's Legwand. Plus there's not a good reason to extend his cap hit through a buyout.

I may or may not have misread nhlnumbers again and thought Gionta's contract to be up  :ph34r:

Well in that case, I think he does stay. Just throw him on the 4th line for the love of God. I'm convinced the only reason he gets time up on the top 2 lines is because he is the captain, and I don't want that excuse to hurt us next year when I fully expect to make the playoffs. 

Not sure how Penguin's teammates handled Sid getting the 'C' so early

He was Sid the Kid. Everyone knew he was a star.

We've got Jack the Ripper. Everyone knows he's a star. I'm not saying he's a shoo-in, but he could earn a letter by the end of the year. In a few years I'm looking at Samson, Jack, Gus, Foligno and Risto. Maybe Deslauriers.

He was Sid the Kid. Everyone knew he was a star.

We've got Jack the Ripper. Everyone knows he's a star. I'm not saying he's a shoo-in, but he could earn a letter by the end of the year. In a few years I'm looking at Samson, Jack, Gus, Foligno and Risto. Maybe Deslauriers.

Well we have ROR here long term, and he'll no doubt get a letter. I've heard Samson is a natural leader, but that's a ways of. As far as Jack and Sid go, I'm not a fan of giving the letter to your best player; looking at you, Ovechkin. I don't really know why Sid got the letter other than his skill, but Jack has been Captain of USA teams for awhile, and was a big leader for the Terriers last season IIRC. Jack would make a much better captain than either Sid or Ovechkin IMO, and we've already seen signs of him getting in the face of the opposition on dirty hits to his teammates. 

Edited by WildCard

I may or may not have misread nhlnumbers again and thought Gionta's contract to be up  :ph34r:

Well in that case, I think he does stay. Just throw him on the 4th line for the love of God. I'm convinced the only reason he gets time up on the top 2 lines is because he is the captain, and I don't want that excuse to hurt us next year when I fully expect to make the playoffs. 

At least this mistake won't summon the Apostrophe Crusader and butterfly effect into a venerable poster needing to live with a lowercase name.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

At least this mistake won't summon the Apostrophe Crusader and inadvertently and butterfly effect into a venerable poster needing to live with a lowercase name.

It might not, but it will directly result in me learning the definition of 'venerable' 

When does eleven get to become a grown up Eleven?

Edited by WildCard

Well we have ROR here long term, and he'll no doubt get a letter.

Yeah, duh. How could ROR slip my mind.

After being so starved for leadership for several years, nice to have this much leadership on the team. And even the ones that don't get a letter... they'll still be leaders.

With Legwand definitely gone and Mcginn probably gone. I think they keep Gionta for leadership alone

Assuming he stays healthy I'm interested in keeping McGinn on a medium term contract. He's really good in that 3rd/4th line role and can flex into the top-6 for short stints without embarrassing himself. Great player to have on a team looking to make deep playoff runs soon.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.