"Locked" threads

sicknfla

I wasn't on the board last night. Reading through the topics today, I understand why the McDavid injury thread was closed. That just got stupid.

Can't figure out why the Eichel one was closed, though. Woman's prerogative, maybe?

There's a fine line between discretionary and arbitrary.

I never understand this forum and the complete overzealous moderation. Personally I think it completely ruins the forum.

Unfortunately there are almost no decent forums out there for the Sabres that one can switch to

I certainly wouldn't go that far.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Do we really want a new thread for 'here's a picture of Jack Eichel in a tank/army gear?'  No.  But I enjoyed viewing that stuff in the Jack Eichel thread.  I support most Mods decisions but I don't know why we can't have an all encompassing 'Player X thread.'  If there is big news on the player then we can start a new thread on it at that point.

I'll actually brown-nose the management on that call.  I was thinking of suggesting a new Eichel thread, a new Bylsma thread, etc.  The problem I have isn't necessarily how long the thread is, but rather that it seems like as a thread grows you get meta-conversations and running jokes that kind of pollute the thread, making it a tough read for someone who's trying to catch up.

I think some level of OT comments is good; it's how the forum expresses its personality and sets us apart from other boards.  But sometimes the OT stuff gets played out.  Shutting down the thread and starting a new one on a similar topic when the OT stuff has taken over a thread is one way to move things forward.

And for the people who have been on and kept up with the threads ?

Seeing the bolded thread title is click bait.  So I think someone said something new about Eichel, but instead it's just another OT comment.  I would bet that for a lot of threads they are fairly on topic but as the thread grows the proportion of OT comments increases.  When they get to be too much it makes sense to shut 'er down and start a new thread.

Seeing the bolded thread title is click bait.  So I think someone said something new about Eichel, but instead it's just another OT comment.  I would bet that for a lot of threads they are fairly on topic but as the thread grows the proportion of OT comments increases.  When they get to be too much it makes sense to shut 'er down and start a new thread.

I donno.  I'm not one to enjoy going too far ot, but it's some of the ot stuff that makes this board this board.

There's a healthy balance between on-topic and off-topic posts, and some threads get off that ideal balance.  So it isn't a question of anyone doing anything wrong and it's a punishment, it's just a mod making the judgment call that a thread has too much off-topic content and not enough on-topic stuff.

I never understand this forum and the complete overzealous moderation. Personally I think it completely ruins the forum.

Unfortunately there are almost no decent forums out there for the Sabres that one can switch to

Poor you.  I do hope you can get by in spite of these difficulties.

I donno.  I'm not one to enjoy going too far ot, but it's some of the ot stuff that makes this board this board.

Absolutely. I agreed with you in my first post in this topic.

I think some level of OT comments is good; it's how the forum expresses its personality and sets us apart from other boards.

The volunteer moderators, who have full, active lives outside of their participation in this community, perform moderator actions based upon their best judgment at the time. It is no more complicated than that. If you need further detail, it will not be forthcoming. Every moderator, past and present, Sabrespace or The Stadium Wall, has/had one goal - to improve the community discussion. Regardless of execution or judgment, every moderator seeks to do what they think is right at the time. That is the intent regardless of anyone else's opinion on their actions.

We are not running the Manhattan Project here. World peace is not at stake. We appreciate the community members who understand this and just come to talk about the Sabres and leave the drama to facebook.

In summary,

1. The volunteer moderators do what they think is best for the community. They are charitable with their time and energy and should be respected as such.

2. If the worse thing that happens to you today is that your thread was locked on a Buffalo Sabres fan board by someone trying to improve the community discussion - you have had an outstanding ###### day. Rejoice and pray for many more.