GDT: Ottawa @ Buffalo, 7pm edt, 10/08/2015

WildCard

I think a lot of the troubles in the first two periods was a result of the following:

1) Nine newcomers in the lineup meant that the team effecticely hadn't played together before (at real game speed, not preseason).

2) It was obvious from the individual puck carrier efforts and the lack of dumping the puck that Bylsma's system is going to be strongly dependent upon puck possession. This is a big departure from the chip/chase/grind game the player have had to play over the past two or more years. It'll take time not just to adjust, but be effective at this.

3) Any lack of compete/energy was a result of players dwelling psychologically on 1) and 2). Then being scored against on the first shift fuels the fire. When they're able to weather the storm, Jack scores his goal, the building erupts, and DJ Kool fires up, they turned into a hugely different team. That team was a playoff team.

I think a lot of the troubles in the first two periods was a result of the following:

1) Nine newcomers in the lineup meant that the team effecticely hadn't played together before (at real game speed, not preseason).

2) It was obvious from the individual puck carrier efforts and the lack of dumping the puck that Bylsma's system is going to be strongly dependent upon puck possession. This is a big departure from the chip/chase/grind game the player have had to play over the past two or more years. It'll take time not just to adjust, but be effective at this.

3) Any lack of compete/energy was a result of players dwelling psychologically on 1) and 2). Then being scored against on the first shift fuels the fire. When they're able to weather the storm, Jack scores his goal, the building erupts, and DJ Kool fires up, they turned into a hugely different team. That team was a playoff team.

2) is also a big departure from previous Bylsma coached teams.  Pittsburgh was a dump and go get it team under Bylsma.  He's said as much and acknowledged that watching the game as an outsider gave him an appreciation for the effectiveness of a possession based game.

When it comes to playing hockey, I feel that there is a certain respect that players need to have for the random nature of the game.  You can make a great play in perfect position that ends up bouncing directly to the other team.  You can fight through an obvious hold and get called for a it yourself.  The best way to approach the game is to keep your feet moving no matter what random BS happens. The coach's challenge flies in the face of that particular spirit. It feels wrong.

But the NHL is a pro league, maybe the challenge isn't a bad thing to have. More data needed.

Good stuff.

Jack scores his goal, the building erupts, and DJ Kool fires up, they turned into a hugely different team. That team was a playoff team.

They were fun to watch, that is for sure.

2) is also a big departure from previous Bylsma coached teams.  Pittsburgh was a dump and go get it team under Bylsma.  He's said as much and acknowledged that watching the game as an outsider gave him an appreciation for the effectiveness of a possession based game.

Interesting insight - thanks.

I think many are confusing what Bylsma feels is a possession game with carrying the puck in.  

“I think we’ve seen third periods in our last exhibition game and then tonight where we executed behind their defense, we put pucks in and got on the forecheck,” Sabres coach Dan Bylsma said. “We saw in the first two periods us not doing that. Yes they’re there in front of us but you’ve got to put them behind them.”

From his postgame, I think he wants to chip it in and take it back.  

I think many are confusing what Bylsma feels is a possession game with carrying the puck in.  

“I think we’ve seen third periods in our last exhibition game and then tonight where we executed behind their defense, we put pucks in and got on the forecheck,” Sabres coach Dan Bylsma said. “We saw in the first two periods us not doing that. Yes they’re there in front of us but you’ve got to put them behind them.”

Hmmm. The thought plickens.

I expect this to be the case. With our speed and size up front we should be able to execute an offense that can chip the puck behind the defense and let our wingers recover it. This prevents things from bunching up in the neutral zone. While the forwards retrieve the puck the defense should be setting up at the point.

I hated the review concept from the moment I heard about it.  Last night proved exactly why and it has nothing to do with the goal being disallowed.  This stoppage in play ruined the entire game atmosphere.  It ruined the momentum. It zapped all life from the game.  

The concept that these reviews somehow enhance the integrity of the game is laughable.  There are so many other penalties that occur that never get called in a game.  This is what it is.

At best.. the review should be possible only if the goal was scored within 10 seconds of entering the zone.  Even then, if the officials can't make a decision within 30 seconds of receiving the video they should chalk it up to "too close to call" and move on.  This stops the ridiculous nitpicking of things like last night.

I didn't hear RJ's call on Eichel's goal... I heard only me.

There was a lot of good lats night.  New passing angles that were not used before, good cycles, the wingers are setting up a little higher in the D zone for the breakout.  It will take time but there is a lot to like.

I hated the review concept from the moment I heard about it.  Last night proved exactly why and it has nothing to do with the goal being disallowed.  This stoppage in play ruined the entire game atmosphere.  It ruined the momentum. It zapped all life from the game.  

The concept that these reviews somehow enhance the integrity of the game is laughable.  There are so many other penalties that occur that never get called in a game.  This is what it is.

At best.. the review should be possible only if the goal was scored within 10 seconds of entering the zone.  Even then, if the officials can't make a decision within 30 seconds of receiving the video they should chalk it up to "too close to call" and move on.  This stops the ridiculous nitpicking of things like last night.

I didn't hear RJ's call on Eichel's goal... I heard only me.

There was a lot of good lats night.  New passing angles that were not used before, good cycles, the wingers are setting up a little higher in the D zone for the breakout.  It will take time but there is a lot to like.

Indeed.  Good stuff, LTS. I was very much the same on the Eichel snipe.

Maybe it'll grow on me but that song does nothing for me.  And.... I think it was the goal that "really gets the crowd going."  Any upbeat dittie should be able to extend it out another 20 or 30 seconds.

Of course the goal got the crowd started...but there was an indisputable roar when the song began.  Folks really enjoyed it.

Watched RJ's call again. He first said something like "Yike-ul!"

I also see that they received instructions to allow the goal song to be featured in the TV broadcast.

And, for heaven's sake, and at the risk of committing a heresy, the TSN guy had a better call in the moment.

I hope RJ bounces back. It really was a lackluster goal call.

Agreed. I heard him say that and a dump-and-chase scheme popped into my mind. It might be that for his first two lines he feels he has the speed and skill to collect the puck, and for the bottom two, the muscle and tenacity to collect the puck.

I expect this to be the case. With our speed and size up front we should be able to execute an offense that can chip the puck behind the defense and let our wingers recover it. This prevents things from bunching up in the neutral zone. While the forwards retrieve the puck the defense should be setting up at the point.

Exactly.

And the dump-and-chase system would explain why it became more difficult to get it going as the pre-season went on: they were facing better opponents who were able to counter the retrieval more effectively.

That would explain, partially, the tentative-ness of the first two periods last night thanks to Ottawa stymying the entries and the Sabres unable to figure out how to counter or work around what Ottawa was doing. Only when the Sabres turned on their motors were they able to sustain pressure in the o-zone.

So, Bylsma has to figure out and implement strategies to counter the countering of his system. Which, being so early, is excusable not having seen what would happen to it at a true NHL level.

I like Evander Kane piling in, that guy was more excited than Jack I think.

Eichel has an elite shot.

Jack's shot is something else.  You can see how down and out the goalie is, and how much space Eichel has.  And then when the release instantaneously hits the corner and in...  That shot was going in no matter how good the goalie's positioning was. Freakin'. Labelled.

Jack's shot is something else.  You can see how down and out the goalie is, and how much space Eichel has.  And then when the release instantaneously hits the corner and in...  That shot was going in no matter how good the goalie's positioning was. Freakin'. Labelled.

The better part of Jack's shot is the pause. A normal player gets that puck and as soon as it touches his stick he's releasing it back at the net. The puck hits Eichel's stick and there's just this slight hesitation. Just enough to let the goalie get more out of position. Just enough to get that puck set just right. And then boom. 

Excuse me while I head to the men's room. Again. 

Watched RJ's call again. He first said something like "Yike-ul!"

I also see that they received instructions to allow the goal song to be featured in the TV broadcast.

I caught that immediately. Yikes. I also thought the DJ Kool reference was ultra-shilly.

The better part of Jack's shot is the pause. A normal player gets that puck and as soon as it touches his stick he's releasing it back at the net. The puck hits Eichel's stick and there's just this slight hesitation. Just enough to let the goalie get more out of position. Just enough to get that puck set just right. And then boom. 

Excuse me while I head to the men's room. Again. 

I tried to warn you about the Wegman's Raisin Bran.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.