Airing of Grievances

Johnny DangerFace

Do yourself a favor and watch Lord of the Rings. It's a miracle of cinema and it humbles me every time I watch it (and I've watched it easily over 15 times).

As far as Terminator, it's a pretty damn good gritty action film. I wouldn't say top 5 all time, but eh opinions.

The one thing that really bothers me about the movies is the semi-bastardizarion of Aragorn. Just a much different character until towards the end, really. Same can be said for Faramir, although that didn't bother me as much since he's a more minor character.

You've watched the trilogy over 15 times? So you've got 150 hours or so invested? Yowza.

I liked it quite a bit myself but now it kinda feels like a PG-rated Game of Thrones.

Or maybe GoT is just an R-rated LotR :p

You've watched the trilogy over 15 times? So you've got 150 hours or so invested? Yowza.

I liked it quite a bit myself but now it kinda feels like a PG-rated Game of Thrones.

A lot of those times were with the commentary on, with my friends and I speaking freely over it (a ritual we must accomplish twice a year or so).  Game of Thrones is currently 50 hours of hit and miss TV, whereas LotR is ~12 hours of a tight, focused expertly told story.  LotR is Good vs. Evil, whereas AsoIaF is aboots shades of gray and showing a variety of POVs and such.

One will never supplant the other in my heart, plenty of room for both.

The one thing that really bothers me about the movies is the semi-bastardizarion of Aragorn. Just a much different character until towards the end, really. Same can be said for Faramir, although that didn't bother me as much since he's a more minor character.

Disagree.  Even though it's different, I love Viggo's Aragorn so much.  Faramir and Sam are two amazing characters from the books that didn't really get a direct adaption.  The movie versions are good, but not amazing.

LOTR is great, but it's not The Trilogy. If you're not a girl and you haven't seen Star Wars....

How does a man even begin to directly compare LotR and Star Wars? (a man doesn't)

I've never been so disinterested in another poster's opinion than I am right now.

Why so aggressively disinterested in the Terminator?

Why so aggressively disinterested in the Terminator?

Why so aggressively advocating for it?

I'm not so much disinterested in the movie itself; it's more that if someone pushes something on me, I tend to push back.  It's just basic human nature (and how wars start).

I'm not big into movies, to be honest.  And out of every genre, I'm probably least interested in action movies.  I kind of feel like it's all been done, and everything now is just hyberbolic interpretation of all that preceded it.

No, you'll want one of the orcs.

She lucked out then.

Yeah sure.  Come look me up.

:wub:

d4rk sometimes smells about as good as an Uruk-Hai birthed from a festering mudpit in the bowels of Isengard... Love you, honey. 

And hey, I dig beards, I guess Gimli/Gandalf/Saruman aren't totally out of older/senile future me's league

I'm not so much disinterested in the movie itself; it's more that if someone pushes something on me, I tend to push back.  It's just basic human nature (and how wars start).

I'm not big into movies, to be honest.  And out of every genre, I'm probably least interested in action movies.  I kind of feel like it's all been done, and everything now is just hyberbolic interpretation of all that preceded it.

To the bolded: I'm not, others are (and obvi they are because they love the movie). The rest seems like a pretty jaded outlook :(

Edited by qwksndmonster

I don't think anyone was aggressively pushing the movie on the two of you.  I'm just surprised is all.  There are some movies where there is an ultra-rare minority who hasn't seen them.  This is one.

To the bolded: I'm not, others are (and obvi they are because they love the movie). The rest seems like a pretty jaded outlook :(

Not jaded. It's just that my interests lie elsewhere.

And the reason I used the word aggressive is that I was accused of being "aggressively disinterested." Funny, no one seemed to think that was a big deal, but I turn it around and everyone loses their minds.

If you haven't seen Terminator, then you can't fully appreciate the references to "Skynet". Same as referencing "Big Brother" without having read 1984.

You're correct. I have no idea what Skynet refers to. I've seen a few people using it around here and it basically means nothing to me (although I figured it was some sort of sci fi reference from context).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.