Sabres hosting their own prospect tournament Sept 12-14

pi2000

No. Nick and Justin are going to Rochester. They are not making the team, they probably won't even be at Sabres training camp.

They were there last year and will be this year... Chill dude.

All I'm disagreeing with here is that you insist there's ZERO chance. There is a chance. Not a great one, but there's a chance. Oh, and that I have to convince you of anything. I certainly do not and have no intention of trying.

Edited by Hoss

All I'm disagreeing with here is that you insist there's ZERO chance. There is a chance. Not a great one, but there's a chance. Oh, and that I have to convince you of anything. I certainly do not and have no intention of trying.

Eh. No Liger's right here (if a bit...Liger). Virtually no chance.  Too much talent/depth in Buffalo, and it would be a move that seems to clash with Murray's style.

Edited by immerman

Disagree. The chances are low but they're certainly not zero.

We've got a pretty solid logjam of forwards but I don't believe for a second that Bylsma wouldn't consider giving a Baptiste or Bailey time if they looked superior to other guys at their positions.

I just don't follow the "need a year in the AHL" line of thinking as a near-universal way of thinking. It's probably true for many/most but you have to get them on the ice before going one way or the other.

That said I fully expect both to be in Rochester for a majority of the season with maybe a handful of games in Buffalo.

It is hard to generalize on this one. We are talking about two specific players here. It's an easy call. 

They could get a call-up, but really, most of us know how waivers work, and how do you really see Baptiste or Bailey fitting in on the 4th line with no pro experience? 

Kane, ROR, Eichel, Moulson, Ennis, Zemgus, Reinhart, Foligno, Gionta. Where do Nick Baptiste and Justin Bailey fit into that top 9?  Because playing guys like them on the 4th line giving them 8minutes a night is worthless.  So you have to remove 1-2 players in the top nine.  My top nine doesn't account McGinn, Legwand, or Deslauriers who all could potentially make that top 9. 

Further to my point, Tim Murray is not having 4 of 9 forwards be rookies.  This isn't the Oilers.  So now you have to convince me they will play on the 4th line.  Well let's see... we have McCormick, possibly Kaleta and also the other 3 guys I just mentioned.  Now you might be able to convince me on a message board that Bailey or Baptiste is better than those 5 players or as good, but Dan Bylsma is not going to convince Murray. It is the wrong way to handle players of their caliber. Bailey and Baptiste are not at NHL speed.  Adjusting to the AHL will be tough enough and they may spend 2 years there or maybe even never see the NHL.

Bailey and Baptiste are not Jack Eichel or Samson Reinhart.  They played great against the NJD prospects.  The NJD have serious prospect talent issues coming their way so not exactly a good measure.  It is exactly like in college football a few years ago everyone was all ga ga over ND and how they were going to beat Alabama with Mante Teo leading the charge.  That Alabama team was on a different level, just like our prospects.  Nick and Justin are going to Rochester because prospects are on a lower level then NHL players.  

I read your note about you expecting them there, they will be there.  Justin Bailey and Nick Baptiste are not starting in Buffalo unless the injury bug from hell ravages us. They are going where they belong, Rochester NY.

I could see Baptiste fitting above Gionta.  Bailey still has some more seasoning to do, but he could also spell Gionta short term.  Otherwise I would more or less agree.  Gionta has two more seasons left and will continue to get pushed down the line-up if all things go right.  With Murray at the helm anything is possible and that could change dramatically if something falls into his lap.  

This isn't what he's saying. He's saying there's literally no chance, not virtually.

There's no chance. 

We spent too long in the tank years where every 20year old and their mom played hockey for us.  That isn't how you run a team.  Baptiste and Bailey are not at NHL speed and they lack the high end talent that Reinhart and Eichel do.  Murray is not putting a 3rd rookie or a 4th rookie into his top nine.  Bailey and Baptiste will not start in Buffalo, which was the original question. Will they make the team, no.

I could see Baptiste fitting above Gionta.  

Gionta finished 40th among NHL right wings in scoring last year despite being injured. His points-per-game pace was similar to that of Justin Williams. He is team captain. He is real NHL hockey player and he is not losing his spot to anyone who was playing on a second line in the OHL last year.

I don't get why people hate on Kaleta but like Chapman.   Less talent and even more of a human punching bag.  

I can see why people like Chapman because he plays hard like Kaleta but lets get one thing straight. Kaleta can play at the NHL level and Chapman will be lucky if he see's the ice full time at the AHL Level. If you watch Chapman close in that game against the Devils. He rushes his passes, had a ton of giveaways. The only thing I can say good about the guy is he really plays defense hard and will take the body every chance he gets. Problem is the new NHL defenseman have to get up in the play, get back quick enough and make accurate passes out of the zone in which I didn't see any of that. Guele to me looks like a future nhl defenseman. Very smooth skater, can jump into the play.

Gionta finished 40th among NHL right wings in scoring last year despite being injured. His points-per-game pace was similar to that of Justin Williams. He is team captain. He is real NHL hockey player and he is not losing his spot to anyone who was playing on a second line in the OHL last year.

I'm not arguing Baptiste or Bailey will make the team, because they won't.  But Baptiste was playing top line minutes with McDavid in Erie last season.  I'm also pretty sure Bailey was on the top line in SSM once he was traded there.

I thought Eichel and Reinhart displayed skills above and beyond the others....... particularly passing skills and vision on the ice..... Eichel had one through the skates move up the left side that was very slick. The 1st goal set the tone, and was great to see. Baptiste, Bailey, and Rodrigues were solid. Catenacci has some wheels and persistence...... didn't like Chapman as much as others....... I thought Makarov played well, and worked hard..... Asmundson didn't look as good, but he had one outright close-range robbery.....

During the 1st intermission, while people watching over the rail on the 2nd level Mike Weber walked by being towed around by a little one........ There was a small  group of players watching from the 200's......

Bailey has power forward size and speed but he needs to be smarter on his passing. He definetly can play at the NHL level with a year or two of seasoning in the AHL. He is developing quite well. If you look at my previous post about Chapman that pretty much sums it up about what I think about him. I was impressed by Guele as he was the youngest guy out there and his skating is top notch. I believe since they said he's a workout warrior that this guy will be in the NHL in the near future. I like Rodrigues alot in that game against the Devils. What he lacks in skill he makes up with it in hustle and smarts. I think if Eichel needs to work on anything it's his positioning in the defensive zone.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Kane, ROR, Eichel, Moulson, Ennis, Zemgus, Reinhart, Foligno, Gionta. Where do Nick Baptiste and Justin Bailey fit into that top 9? Because playing guys like them on the 4th line giving them 8minutes a night is worthless. So you have to remove 1-2 players in the top nine. My top nine doesn't account McGinn, Legwand, or Deslauriers who all could potentially make that top 9.

Further to my point, Tim Murray is not having 4 of 9 forwards be rookies. This isn't the Oilers. So now you have to convince me they will play on the 4th line. Well let's see... we have McCormick, possibly Kaleta and also the other 3 guys I just mentioned. Now you might be able to convince me on a message board that Bailey or Baptiste is better than those 5 players or as good, but Dan Bylsma is not going to convince Murray. It is the wrong way to handle players of their caliber. Bailey and Baptiste are not at NHL speed. Adjusting to the AHL will be tough enough and they may spend 2 years there or maybe even never see the NHL.

Bailey and Baptiste are not Jack Eichel or Samson Reinhart. They played great against the NJD prospects. The NJD have serious prospect talent issues coming their way so not exactly a good measure. It is exactly like in college football a few years ago everyone was all ga ga over ND and how they were going to beat Alabama with Mante Teo leading the charge. That Alabama team was on a different level, just like our prospects. Nick and Justin are going to Rochester because prospects are on a lower level then NHL players.

I read your note about you expecting them there, they will be there. Justin Bailey and Nick Baptiste are not starting in Buffalo unless the injury bug from hell ravages us. They are going where they belong, Rochester NY.

Very articulate response, and 100% correct. They need to ease into the NHL, and Roch is the place to do it. They will get the minutes they need to prepare for the NHL. I see maybe one year, and next year making the roster.

I was going to argue Boxers or Briefs but this seemed more fun.

I'll take em in either :)

No. Nick and Justin are going to Rochester.  They are not making the team, they probably won't even be at Sabres training camp. 

These aren't 18 or 19 year old kids we're talking about.   They're both 20, they were drafted two years ago.   

I could see them spending camp and pre-season in Buffalo getting lots of minutes in pre-season games.   It's not like these are teenage kids anymore, they're physically ready (both over 6 feet, 200lbs).... maybe need to put on a little more weight/strength, but this will be their 3rd time through the prospect tournaments, etc. with Buffalo.          

This whole thing was cute. There's definitively a better than 0% chance they make the team. Without a sliver of doubt in anyone's mind (not even Liger believes it's a 0% chance). But in Liger fashion he can't move off even a single word of his point and will throw a ton at it (like claiming they probably won't be in camp when they were in camp a year ago).

You've got passion, even when you're wrong. It's enjoyable.

This whole thing was cute. There's definitively a better than 0% chance they make the team. Without a sliver of doubt in anyone's mind (not even Liger believes it's a 0% chance). But in Liger fashion he can't move off even a single word of his point and will throw a ton at it (like claiming they probably won't be in camp when they were in camp a year ago).

You've got passion, even when you're wrong. It's enjoyable.

There is a 0% chance.  Bailey and Baptiste will not make the 2015 Buffalo Sabres.

These aren't 18 or 19 year old kids we're talking about.   They're both 20, they were drafted two years ago.   

I could see them spending camp and pre-season in Buffalo getting lots of minutes in pre-season games.   It's not like these are teenage kids anymore, they're physically ready (both over 6 feet, 200lbs).... maybe need to put on a little more weight/strength, but this will be their 3rd time through the prospect tournaments, etc. with Buffalo.          

They could spend preseason here, very true.  They will however not start their pro careers here.  They will go to Rochester.  We should also recognize the fact that 1 or both may never play in the NHL, that is still possible although less likely with each year of growth. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.