ROR Impaired Driving Charges Dismissed

Brawndo

Some def. make a killing (Detectives really do well!) Patrol, and I can only speak to my department, don't make as much. Personally, I give about 5 warnings for every ticket I issue, really, we are not all looking to be jerks. And money wise, the boro gets half of the fine - $25 fine for most moving violations = $12.50 to the Boro. If we have to get paid OT for the hearing, Boro loses money (2hrs X 1.5 pay). Trust me, they try to limit it. Yes, the ticket costs $112, but the costs are what raises the total.

I appreciate the welcome back, but  I am on here about 3/4 days a week - I really do read these often - I just don't have much to add to the Buffalo specific threads - I look to get info from here, in my section of PA , there is not much in our local news. Plenty of Philly crap though - the Phantoms arena is about 5 minutes from my house - went once, beautiful arena, half full. We'll see if it lasts.

Thanks to all for the Sabre conversations - I know of only one other Sabres fan in the area outside of my family. I come on here to at least "be among" others. 

Some def. make a killing (Detectives really do well!) Patrol, and I can only speak to my department, don't make as much. Personally, I give about 5 warnings for every ticket I issue, really, we are not all looking to be jerks. And money wise, the boro gets half of the fine - $25 fine for most moving violations = $12.50 to the Boro. If we have to get paid OT for the hearing, Boro loses money (2hrs X 1.5 pay). Trust me, they try to limit it. Yes, the ticket costs $112, but the costs are what raises the total.

I appreciate the welcome back, but  I am on here about 3/4 days a week - I really do read these often - I just don't have much to add to the Buffalo specific threads - I look to get info from here, in my section of PA , there is not much in our local news. Plenty of Philly crap though - the Phantoms arena is about 5 minutes from my house - went once, beautiful arena, half full. We'll see if it lasts.

Thanks to all for the Sabre conversations - I know of only one other Sabres fan in the area outside of my family. I come on here to at least "be among" others. 

:thumbsup:

I appreciate the welcome back, but I am on here about 3/4 days a week - I really do read these often - I just don't have much to add to the Buffalo specific threads - I look to get info from here, in my section of PA , there is not much in our local news. Plenty of Philly crap though - the Phantoms arena is about 5 minutes from my house - went once, beautiful arena, half full. We'll see if it lasts.

Good stuff, post more man!

Actually the thing that bugs me (and part of it may be due to in-car distractions) are people who just drive stupid.  You know what I mean- They need to make a left turn in a half mile, but wait until a block before and try to move across three lanes of traffic from right to left to get to the left turn lane.  Or people who don't know how to drive traffic circles.  There's one on my daily commute and in the afternoon it's pretty crowded.  Three lanes approach the circle:  The first peels off just before the circle and makes an effective right turn.  The next one over goes to that same right turn, or can go "straight".  The last one (most to the left) and go "straight" through the circle or "turn left".  The number of people that enter the circle in the incorrect lane and have feel the need to change lanes blows my mind.... for instance a lot of people start out in the right lane, force their way into the center lane, then turn right immediately.  If they just stayed in the lane they started out in, they would have ended up in the same place (an effective right turn).  Why they felt they needed to force a lane change just before the split is beyond me.  That stuff drives me nuts.

I think what pisses me off is the fact that O'Reilly will now have to go before the Peguals and Murray and apologize for the incident. He'll have to tell them how he plans to change his life, get counseling, etc etc etc....... Then he'll have to do community service, probably give some speeches about safe driving and the dangers of alcohol. Then the league will talk about it for months, he might even get punished by the league and/or the Sabres. All while there will be many other players in the league this year get into accidents where they were at fault because of texting and they will get off without penalty, probably not even a ticket. Both situations are preventable and equally as dangerous and O'Reilly will be the one put on a pedestal.

I know what you mean about the idiots. Just today I was going down a main E-W 4 lane (2 per) road and I'm coming up on this soccer mom in the right lane. We're in a 50MPH zone, she's onher phone going 17MPH!!!! I pull up alongside of her and lay on my horn to tell her to get off the road before she kills somebody. She doesn't even see me. As I'm doing this the cop I passed earlier finally catches up and she's right behind me. I turn around and look straight at her and put my arm in the air like "Look at this woman next to me, DO SOMETHING!!!" She didn't....... she just kept looking at her computer not even realizing we're going 17MPH.

But O'Reilly will be put through the ringers for being borderline intoxicated in a podunk town at 4AM with nobody on the streets.

hes gone for at least 15 to maybe the entire year because he fled... we will see the pull terry p has,,, but 15 games at the abslute minimum more likely half the season considering his leadership role.. blows... hope im completely wrong.. him and kromer should have a limo and a private beach for the emotionally retarded

he was targeted... but he still will be watching alot of hockey... really nlows..i wished i didnt check the news

Edited by K8prisoner

Just occurred to me: The league didn't suspend Ryan Malone last April (2014) after he blew a .11 and got dinged for cocaine possession.

Looking back at the reports, he was not in the lineup at all against Montreal in round 1 (scratched for personal reasons) and was apparently in a full time diversion/intervention program of some sort that is part of the CBA.

If ROR can participate in that program before the preseason, then be should be cleared to play.

Unless ownership decides otherwise.

Just occurred to me: The league didn't suspend Ryan Malone last April (2014) after he blew a .11 and got dinged for cocaine possession.

Looking back at the reports, he was not in the lineup at all against Montreal in round 1 (scratched for personal reasons) and was apparently in a full time diversion/intervention program of some sort that is part of the CBA.

If ROR can participate in that program before the preseason, then be should be cleared to play.

Unless ownership decides otherwise.

Possession of cocaine far surpasses O'Reilly's .08 BAC. Would the NHLPA even consider defending the guy if her were to be suspended? What hurts O'Reilly the most is his leaving the accident scene. 

Meh.  It's all speculation at this point.  Kind of interesting to look at the lineup in his absence though... I suppose Larsson would be the primary beneficiary of any missed time by ROR.

I think in the long run this will be a barely noticeable bump in the road if ROR succeeds with the Sabres.  If he doesn't do so well, everyone will point back to this incident.

hes gone for at least 15 to maybe the entire year because he fled... we will see the pull terry p has,,, but 15 games at the abslute minimum more likely half the season considering his leadership role.. blows... hope im completely wrong.. him and kromer should have a limo and a private beach for the emotionally retarded

he was targeted... but he still will be watching alot of hockey... really nlows..i wished i didnt check the news

I don't think there is any possible way his punishment is this severe. There's too much precedent of other players doing similar or worse things and getting a slap on the wrist.

From a league standpoint, I think ROR will be required to enroll in the Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program, and that's the end of it.

From a team standpoint, I wonder whether the Pegulas have a track record on how they deal with these kinds of offences.

I also now see that Harrington had recalled the Ryan Malone incident in a post to the BN. Pains me as it might, I should probably go back to reading his content.

Say what?

Possession of cocaine far surpasses O'Reilly's .08 BAC. Would the NHLPA even consider defending the guy if her were to be suspended? What hurts O'Reilly the most is his leaving the accident scene. 

Correct me if I am wrong but, ROR didn't blow a .08.  He blew something higher than .08.  It might be inconsequential, but it might not be.

Correct me if I am wrong but, ROR didn't blow a .08.  He blew something higher than .08.  It might be inconsequential, but it might not be.

Thank you! The .08 talk was about the limit.  We have no idea what he blew.  He was obviously pretty hammered if he ran into a building and then drove away and then abandoned his car.

Thank you! The .08 talk was about the limit.  We have no idea what he blew.  He was obviously pretty hammered if he ran into a building and then drove away and then abandoned his car.

Good point.

At least one blogger said his BAC/BAL was .08

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2015/7/14/8958051/ryan-oreilly-charged-with-dwai-what-it-means-for-his-future-buffalo-sabres

But I think he and others were conflating the threshold with a reported reading.

I won't come out and accuse him of it because I don't know.  But my assumption is significantly higher than 0.08 if he 1. hit a building and 2. fled.

Edited by weave

I won't come out and accuse him of it because I don't know.  But my assumption is significantly higher than 0.08 if he 1. hit a building and 2. fled.

I don't see either one of those as necessarily meaning a high blow.  He may be have just been a bit careless in the first instance, and in the second he just kinda freaked.

I don't see either one of those as necessarily meaning a high blow.  He may be have just been a bit careless in the first instance, and in the second he just kinda freaked.

The bolded is inexcusable.  IMO it was either that he wasn't that drunk and he left because he was worried about his possession stats, or that he was quite drunk and running seemed like a good idea.

I won't come out and accuse him of it because I don't know. But my assumption is significantly higher than 0.08 if he 1. hit a building and 2. fled.

Do you happen to know if Canada differentiates between DUI and DWI? I was under the impression they did, and only being charged with DUI does not suggest a blow much higher than 08.

Do you happen to know if Canada differentiates between DUI and DWI? I was under the impression they did, and only being charged with DUI does not suggest a blow much higher than 08.

Don't know.  And don't know the levels that might differentiate the two.  And too damned apathetic to look it up.

ROR WILL BE ALRIGHT!!  after appropriate punishment and public shaming

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.