Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

Ladies and Gents -- I've noticed that a number of posters have said from time to time (most recently in the Wawrow thread) that the board can come across as unwelcoming to new posters. 

Like many posters here, I think of this board as a community that I enjoy conversing and spending time with.  This probably results in me reacting defensively to criticism.  I think that I try to welcome new posters to the board, and I know that many others do as well.  Still, I don't want to dismiss criticism out of hand -- and I certainly don't want people who could've contributed to the discussion to feel unwelcome and bail.

I'm curious as to:

- how often new posters get this impression (i.e. do most new posters feel this way, or just a few, but the ones who do feel this way are the ones who bother to speak up about it);

- whether this board is different from other message boards in that respect;

- if we do come across as unwelcoming, what can we do to remedy this?

All thoughts appreciated.

This board is different. I'm a member on one other hobby forum that is very similar. It starts with the idea of a community. Communities aren't always an open door. It's not easy to just jump into the pool. I think by nature of the strong community here it is much harder for new posters to jump in head first. You have to learn this place and its members. Once you do it's easy to be a part of it. But we're not a big crowd kind of forum. We're not HFboards. We're not TBD. And it's better that way. Quality over quantity.

I'll also say that Josie has told me that trying to post on this forum is very similar to trying to hang out with me and my high school friends when we get together. It's tons of inside jokes, references to things that happened forever ago, and a hundred in-depth conversations happening all at once. It's disorienting to newcomers but there's nothing to be done about it except wait for opportunities to jump in.

One of the things that always intimidated me and still does is the fact that a lot of the regular posters are just really really smart, which is great because I have learned so much about the game since coming here, but means I x-out of a lot of pages before submitting a comment because I think it's probably stupid and laughable and providing nothing, which might be a feeling that a lot of those lurkers get.

Agree with above. Higher hockey IQ posters on here than I. Also some posters seem to be on 24-7, don't know when they sleep. So a few times I have had a thought, someone has already posted it when I looked at the thread.

But really enjoy reading here, makes following the team more fun.

Thanks

From long time lurker.

Hi, first time poster here, been a lurker for a long time, yeah I know. I have enjoyed the many debates and have learned a lot from this board. I'm going to defend the long time posters here. A lot of new posters come in with a "something to prove" mentality. Most of you are polite and give them a chance and give good advice. I lived in Buffalo for a few years in the mid 70s as a young kid. We moved south and lost track of the Sabres for a long time. But thanks to satalite the last few years I have been able to watch them all the time now. Its been a rough couple of years but the future is indeed bright.

I'll also say that Josie has told me that trying to post on this forum is very similar to trying to hang out with me and my high school friends when we get together. It's tons of inside jokes, references to things that happened forever ago, and a hundred in-depth conversations happening all at once. It's disorienting to newcomers but there's nothing to be done about it except wait for opportunities to jump in.

I've been lurking, semi posting for years and Josie is right IMO.  I come here because I'm not in Bflo anymore and I get Sabre news and insight on the Sabres.

LIke I said in a previous post that I don't put any effort in personal conflicts here because the mods are pretty good at stopping sh*t. I'm not one for many of the inside jokes and/or "fights" so I equated that to the distraction of "bitch fight in the parking lot".  So I skip posts due to my not having too much time to check the boards.  Sabrespace is blocked at work and there may be 10 pages of stuff posted in a thread and I'll go to the next page and say to myself "they are all being Russian".  Next page, still the same, next page...oh, real news. 

I have no clue where all the Russian stuff started but after years here I expect stuff like this (see again....skipping pages of posts).   But I do enjoy that everyone seems friends here and will put up with each of our quirks.   I think this is one of the better communities out there on message boards.  I like i here and I like how the mods run the site.

New posters always get a free pass. I know I will go all West Side Story on familiar folks, but unless you come in here shilling for your own blog, or name....I welcome and encourage it. It usually takes me a few dozen posts to get an idea of what is going on. Some of my favorite posters rarely post.

I don't think it is so much the community as it is the world has become so PC. There are a lot of good young posters here who earned their stripes, and maybe the young kids find it easier to give an opinion because of free range social media they grew up with. If you are 40, have a family and a job.....you have trained yourself to not rock the boat. It may be fun to READ a strong opinion, but to give one is either not in the nature, or can be intimidating. 15 years ago, we relied on a few to have strong opinions in the press. Now, anyone can speak their mind....AND....call out the establishment.

There's nothing wrong with being a casual fan. The gameday threads are so dead now, it would be nice for a new person who just wants to feel a sense of fandom to post even in there...."Nice shot by Bogosian!".....everyone saw it....nobody has to respond, but that doesn't mean everyone isn't at home nodding their heads, going, "Hell yeah!"

Agree with above. Higher hockey IQ posters on here than I. Also some posters seem to be on 24-7, don't know when they sleep. So a few times I have had a thought, someone has already posted it when I looked at the thread.

Thanks
From long time lurker.

Hell Yeah!

Also for new posters, who cares if you don't know anything about advanced stats or X and Os. I don't know much about either at all. What's cool here is there are some posters who know a ton, and are more than happy to share.

Also, another thing. Some of the regular posters, myself included, can be real jerks sometimes, but it's almost always directed at another older forum member, and everyone still here can take there lumps so it's cool.

Post mas

Thanks

From long time lurker.

Hi, first time poster here, been a lurker for a long time, yeah I know. I have enjoyed the many debates and have learned a lot from this board. I'm going to defend the long time posters here. A lot of new posters come in with a "something to prove" mentality. Most of you are polite and give them a chance and give good advice. I lived in Buffalo for a few years in the mid 70s as a young kid. We moved south and lost track of the Sabres for a long time. But thanks to satalite the last few years I have been able to watch them all the time now. Its been a rough couple of years but the future is indeed bright.

rick-james-bytch-o.gif

One more thing, I think this place is fine for new members now. It can just be intimidating. This is unlike a little while back where there were some obnoxious unwritten rules that we've gotten away from.

Welcome and post more!

Maybe we should have a pinned introductions thread and see how it does!?

Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

I am guilty of some of the things I am about to post, but IMO can make this a better board....

1 - Long time and frequent posters can be intimidating at times.

2 - There are some newbies who don't want to even try and fit in.  Call them trolls or call them ignorant, but either way they are stirring the pot.

3 - Way too often posters try and pass off their opinions as fact.  This drives me crazy!

4 - Some posters need to get the last word in and just won't let a discussion/debate/argument go until this happens.

5 - Way too much use of videos and images.  I really wish that videos and images would be limited to hockey related content.  It wouldn't even bother me if media content was not allowed.

All this being said, there is great hockey talk that goes on here and for the most part I enjoy the time I have spent here over the last 10 or so years.

We were all noobs here at one point. I've come to learn that everyone here, to a man (or woman) is one smart cracker, even if I don't agree with their politics or the like.  And that I can still rely on people here to engage in a conversation on a level I'm comfortable with.  It's not stupid talk in here because not one person here digs the stupid talk.

Which is not to say we're all elitists.  That's the other groovy thing about this place, most posters here are humble and grounded enough to realize we all don't know everything and we all can make errors when referencing stats and facts and such.  People are willing to share and teach.  It seems none of us likes an ass, which is what leads to stupid talk and global forum strife. 

I'm a social media student, and this is, by far, one of the best forums on anything I've come across.  And I'm not saying that because I'm a Sabres fan - there are plenty of Sabres boards, but I only come here.  I'm on other forums, and have moderated forums (still do one, actually, when I feel like it) - this place, because of the community of people we have here, is special indeed.

So, when a noob comes in, and acts like an ass: they start criticizing long-standing members, start criticizing the culture, trying to force their will upon the forum instead of flowing with it, posting utter nonsense (and not just hockey-ignorant nonsense, but nonsense that palpably could dumb-down the forum), then yes, we do, and we should, make it difficult for them to remain here.  This is part of what makes it special and the mods have no idea how good and easy they have it (unless they frequent other forums); the community here effectively self-polices.

In closing, I will say, that if I could become a part of this community, anyone can.  Trust me.

I am guilty of some of the things I am about to post, but IMO can make this a better board....

1 - Long time and frequent posters can be intimidating at times.

This is definitely true through no fault of those posters. I joined when PA had been absent for a long time and he was spoken of every day, and had achieved a downright mystical status from what I had gathered by the time he came back. Needless to say, he disappointed.

:P just kidding PA. But when you came back it reminded me of the first time I played Pokemon. It was crystal version, and when I hit the grass after the fourth gym I got attacked by Raikou, a legendary dog, and was left speechless and terrified and gaping in awe.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Opinion.  ;)

And I think that's the crux of how a lot of stuff happens. This place is sort of a country club with open public tee times. If you come in and sit at the bar, the same old timers have heard every story from each other and they are like old drunks, calling each other out, playfully 99% of the time, but sometimes the screwdriver takes over. But there's nothing more fun than having someone new to shoot the junk with. You may not know how many Majors the Golden Bear won, or you might not be able to immulate Chi-Chi Rodriguez after a 30 foot putt.....you may not even know who they are.....but you can say, "That 14th fairway sure is a b!tch with all those bunkers".....and the old drunk is going to say, "Tell me about it! How many did it get you for?"

We all love in one way or another, this team. We may have different ways of defining what love is, and what really constitutes team.......and that is where you see a lot of strife.

Bottom line......if the Sabres ever win the Cup, we will all be drinking together and playing grabass. Even if some of the new guys need to wheel us old guys around downtown......

im a little nervous that you guys  will expose me as having a little mind despite the conicval appearance that is only sel.involved with only self gratifying remarks that will finally put a mirror up to my face , so that i can see what everybody else already knows. I am a a false poster even though i  have yearned to be  the 109th napolean . This time I will take control of all the mystery...... nevermind...., literally paid to wallow among the  fruit of my own m ######. I fear that i will finally be held by the scruff of my neck to be slammed repeatedly in my own ###### , urine and the collected feces of the 4 people that unfortunately were up at 4am in china burst inside my room,  to partake in the first man to be outed for my grandiose lack of kindness.

but like so many in my tiny group that i see but never engage aside from eye contact and athe atm   ( until i borrow my friends laptop to purge a thing or two and hope he doesnt involve himself too much in this. WE both care for buffalo  and we both dont reside there. The title caught me as ripe for subversive admissions..

in life, we are never outed free to hoodwink the innocent yet another day  and even though we both dont participate in the alphabet game  i imagine  this fake joke may have a lead baloon effect.. its not mine as heexclaimed with vertainty, just then he  looked down and saw a lit match was burning his toes as  he suddeenly knew the moment it was possible for st whatshisname.. to place it there.. pride always gets my dumb foolish ass again... ill keep typing as a cautionary tool for those retarded in their growth toward cosmic puberty ...   

so that i may serve to insulate those that do such minor karnic interuption like lying to public thru a medium such as this and being paid for to steer a gullible hypnotised group mind that makes up tne consciouysness of rome part 2.  Peple that would not know  A FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE to distinguish from the flood of the telepone game of third person from a quantum dimension. Should I or the group of like minded inbdiduals that act as scenery to the backdrop of the few who actively participate in the the appearance of their own destiny.... cvough, cough... ... sorry my check from charlie christenaszwert (who is some local leiutenent secretary in the southeast us corporation) was just a month and a half late.   

I am from a group call the servants of isaac. we  let anyone join as long as we do anything we tell them.. the last guy was supposed to take a sledge hammer to his dog because he was told thru a microwave messaging system that can analyze blood sweat or tears of any individual to get a low frequency sigmal trnslated the iron in or blood and the resonance chamber of each skuyll to creat a sinple repeated message during the hours that the sun isnt reflection anywhere . like the moon , and usurp an inner voice between 4  to a few minutes after sun up so that it is forgotten except from the subconcious... we are taught to resist all urges we have in order to join the club as the hand of 'tetrus' should stop anyone from doing any cruel act... we watch what happen in case the moral boundries of the applicant are different then the projection... we keep having to save everyones dog.

Anyway, the most money that was paid per comment is 50 a piece for steering anyone away from dis liking tom brady and the pats  ( only example found on either of these boards) and 500 hundred fpr the final subversive contact as a freelance individual paid upon proof as a discussion ender   in goild and silver coins  and fake messaged on former silk road sites  but really  just face to face and laughing cash... pidgins ( thats a bit too much nuts).. The kreefts front company  ( i mention that becasue I never involved myself and switched to this site from my discussion as i never worked on sports sites, Krefts spe,  ( lets call it additive for kids adjusted  lifespans) always pays on time .  There are apparently five other brothers of mine. on two bills drive but none here... This is the one place i can go to forget about how twisted to fake world we inhabit is before i fly back to london  to scoop horse ###### off the streets in the city because it cerromonially pays well too... I appreciate highly intelligent and funny abuse and the excellent well informed discussion by all the interesting characters I encountered    here and occasionally at TBD asside from the trolls... LIke the going clear, maybe all those here and will out themselve since sports should be sacred as this may be only thing that happen where there is no fate or a predetermined outcome... Well hocket at least...

by the way, I love getting abused here and my feeling toward buffaslo is completely true.. i have been addicted to buffalo sports longer than the refined asian, I find as no longer a viable solution or even a happy distraction..   go buffalo.....

Anyway , yeah ... its a light bare bones, kind,  loving site that has always been quite nice to me.when i came to vent about seeing something strangely familiar at TBD ( a sports site no less). I found the above message left on my computer and i imagine  i must have not realized i wrote it.. Im too lazy to delete it... .my apologies. go sabres. 

you dont abuse me much at all...you just completely ignore me, like the comments from the character 'window pane" from the zappa snl episode of freak mountain... , thats all...  its quite nice and polite.

Edited by K8prisoner

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.