Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

This forum isn't big enough to require sub-forum. Its really only needed if you get so many posts in a day you can't find the one you were talking in on the front page. The consolidated threads (ie. All About [blank]) helps a lot with that.

The problem with All About is that it discourages people from entering. Too vague. There might be great discussions going on about a particular angle, but I'll never know. As odd as it sounds, I liked it when someone started a new thread something to the effect of, "Early impressions of training camp." I read it. But it was quickly merged into the generic training camp thread.

I always took that to be a mostly static list of other teams' message boards, and doesn't need to be updated too often. I'm sure there's probably a few in there that are out of date, but I don't think it gets looked at other than when we are looking to really understand a team, like in a play-off series. That may explain the lack of traffic too. :)

I see. I don't visit it.

The problem with All About is that it discourages people from entering. Too vague. There might be great discussions going on about a particular angle, but I'll never know. As odd as it sounds, I liked it when someone started a new thread something to the effect of, "Early impressions of training camp." I read it. But it was quickly merged into the generic training camp thread.

FWIW, I haven't merged threads in ages.

• 5 weeks later...

I think that I try to welcome new posters to the board...

I don't want to dismiss criticism out of hand -- and I certainly don't want people who could've contributed to the discussion to feel unwelcome and bail.

All thoughts appreciated.

I never understand this forum and the complete overzealous moderation. Personally I think it completely ruins the forum.

Unfortunately there are almost no decent forums out there for the Sabres that one can switch to

Poor you.  I do hope you can get by in spite of these difficulties.

Just trying to help the mods get the right posts in the right threads. You know, to improve community discussion.

Where's GoDD?

Banned?

In all seriousness I think he just left. He kept getting banned and coming back, only to get banned again. Not absolving him, just what I think happened.

Where is GoDD, String? STRING! Where is GoDD?  Where the ###### is GoDD, String?!

Que?

The fact that some people earnestly believe this board is over-moderated is hilarious.

We actually got through the most recent ###### storm without shrader saying "this board is unreadable." So... progress?

Do I do that often?  If I do, I'd say that the departure of a certain two posters might have a little something to do with me saying it less... that or I just stop posting for a short period of time.

And now let the fun begin.  Whoever guesses correctly wins a free beer from their own fridge.

Do I do that often?  If I do, I'd say that the departure of a certain two posters might have a little something to do with me saying it less... that or I just stop posting for a short period of time.

And now let the fun begin.  Whoever guesses correctly wins a free beer from their own fridge.

Guesses what correctly?  And can I have bourbon from my liquor cabinet instead?

Guesses what correctly?  And can I have bourbon from my liquor cabinet instead?

The two posters I was talking about.  And no, I don't actually want people to guess, I just want to give away beer that isn't mine.

Intelligent.

Kind of like responding to random posts with "fire everybody"?

Edited by shrader

26 CB, and Hopeful?

The two posters I was talking about.  And no, I don't actually want people to guess, I just want to give away beer that isn't mine.

Kind of like responding to random posts with "fire everybody"?

Got it.  Well, I try to stay out of the board metadrama.  There's enough regular drama arguing about hockey.  I will put in my $0.02 on what happened last night / this morning, though (not directed at anyone in particular and certainly not you):  I think it would be fine for someone unfamiliar with the culture to message a mod or someone who's been here forever with a question.  But the mods really shouldn't have their decisions challenged publicly; they're doing the best they can for what SDS pays them.  Speaking of whom, it is his sandbox and he lets us play in it for free; let's keep that in mind.

Got it.  Well, I try to stay out of the board metadrama.  There's enough regular drama arguing about hockey.  I will put in my $0.02 on what happened last night / this morning, though (not directed at anyone in particular and certainly not you):  I think it would be fine for someone unfamiliar with the culture to message a mod or someone who's been here forever with a question.  But the mods really shouldn't have their decisions challenged publicly; they're doing the best they can for what SDS pays them.  Speaking of whom, it is his sandbox and he lets us play in it for free; let's keep that in mind.

I'm right there with you on the comments about the mods.  They get to run the place as they see fit and usually the person complaining about it is the one who got the boot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.