Tim Murray: Lottery Presser

LGR4GM

Interestingly the reason some are upset by Murray's comments is that he is "slighting" Jack Eichel by saying he wanted the 1st overall pick.  This inherently implies that Jack Eichel will be the 2nd overall pick.  Now I think you can assume that but I think after listening to Murary's comments again and also to hearing his other comments, that Murray wasn't thinking "I don't get Connor McDavid"  he was thinking "I don't get to pick the guy I want".  The reason I believe this is because it follows how he was last year.  He talked post Reinhart that he was glad he got to pick the best forward in the draft even though he drafted 2nd.  Will Jack Eichel be the #2 overall pick?  Probably but it wasn't like Murray just came out and said "we lost out on McDavid and I am disappointed for our fans."  he just said that he wanted to pick 1st. He also spent several large chunks of the interview praising Eichel's readiness to make the NHL jump.

As a competitor, not getting the #1 draft choice is disappointing.  As a Sabres fan I'm very happy to get Eichel.  If Murray's comments, which are taken out of context, bother Eichel at all, Eichel isn't the competitor he has shown himself to be up to this point.  I expect Murray's comments to add to the chip on Eichel's shoulder if they have any effect at all.

Yes we may have missed out on McDavid, We can get Eichel.  That was the whole idea behind the tank.  How soon can the season start?

Listening to the presser that started the kerfluffle: JFC. The hot-take that TM was being unprofessional, saying stupid things, showing himself to be inept, or somehow insulting Eichel -- all stuff and nonsense. He's clearly not pleased with the pro-cess (gotta hit that "PRO," eh?) and made that clear a few times -- said his grumpiness was not about any player -- that he wanted to pick first because you always want to go first when you have the chance to do so.

Also, I did not hear him say that "disappointed for our fans" bit or likening it to being cut by a world junior team. Was that in the clip that WGR posted?

Murray never said "I'm disappointed for our fans" , the actual line was "I feel for our fans".  That comes from this video:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/murray-compares-draft-lottery-to-not-making-team-canada/

Murray never said "I'm disappointed for our fans" , the actual line was "I feel for our fans".  That comes from this video:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/murray-compares-draft-lottery-to-not-making-team-canada/

Please stop. It's clear Murray talked to a bunch of reporters, the publicity ###### that he is. No one screws up a quote that bad. The audio clips don't contain everything he said.

My bottom line takeway is that Murray wants to act like a veteran GM in this league who is owed a stage for his opinions. I'm sure most of the other GMs are just shaking their heads at him.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

Thanks.

Again, just more stuff and nonsense. 

I'm not going to break down why I think those remarks are benign. If you're inclined to read something into those comments, then I think maybe you're too willing to let the media lead you by those nose so as to find an issue (a story -- a SCANDAL!) where there isn't one to be had.

This is just more of GM TM being GM TM. He really doesn't care about appearances or perceptions -- he just wants to build a winner. I'm good with that.

Oh, and I am worried not at all about whether GM TM's remarks might somehow hurt Eichel's feelings or alienate the guy. I mean -- if the future face of our franchise were that thin-skinned? Well, we'd be doomed anyway.

Listening to the presser that started the kerfluffle: JFC. The hot-take that TM was being unprofessional, saying stupid things, showing himself to be inept, or somehow insulting Eichel -- all stuff and nonsense. He's clearly not pleased with the pro-cess (gotta hit that "PRO," eh?) and made that clear a few times -- said his grumpiness was not about any player -- that he wanted to pick first because you always want to go first when you have the chance to do so.

Also, I did not hear him say that "disappointed for our fans" bit or likening it to being cut by a world junior team. Was that in the clip that WGR posted?

C'mon. There is no way that if the Sabres won the lottery he would have spent the whole PC complaining about the PROcess.

He wanted McDavid and was grumpy he didn't get him.

Please stop. It's clear Murray talked to a bunch of reporters, the publicity ###### that he is. No one screws up a quote that bad. The audio clips don't contain everything he said.

My bottom line takeway is that Murray wants to act like a veteran GM in this league who is owed a stage for his opinions. I'm sure most of the other GMs are just shaking their heads at him.

Actually most other GM's were pissed about Edmonton.  Also, until someone gives the context for that quote, I don't believe it.  There is no context, there is no audio, there is literally only 1 reporter tweeting it and everyone else copying it. That is very thin.  Until there is more proof I have to disregard the quote as being tweeted incorrectly.  I am not going to trust some reporter I don't know from the Toronto Sun because he is a reporter. 

C'mon. There is no way that if the Sabres won the lottery he would have spent the whole PC complaining about the PROcess.

He wanted McDavid and was grumpy he didn't get him.

Well, if he gets what he wants, then he can better tolerate a process that he thinks is stupid. And if he doesn't get what he wants? Well -- we saw what came of that.

Well, if he gets what he wants, then he can better tolerate a process that he thinks is stupid. And if he doesn't get what he wants? Well -- we saw what came of that.

If he doesn't like the PROcess, then he shouldn't have tanked.

:devil:

Where do you get the idea that Murray feels he is owed a stage? The general observation on Murray is that he avoids the media.

Actually most other GM's were pissed about Edmonton.  Also, until someone gives the context for that quote, I don't believe it.  There is no context, there is no audio, there is literally only 1 reporter tweeting it and everyone else copying it. That is very thin.  Until there is more proof I have to disregard the quote as being tweeted incorrectly.  I am not going to trust some reporter I don't know from the Toronto Sun because he is a reporter. 

Murray's mistake is answering questions he's asked. You should always answer the question that you wished was asked. 

It was the best option and most logical option available to him. And he repeated on Saturday that he favors the worst team getting the top pick.

As the worst team, of course he does. But the PROcess is the PROcess, and he can complain about it all he wants, but he used the PROcess to it's fullest this year. That's why it was so important that the team he built finished last, so that when the PROcess worked, we would still end up with a great player.

People can be mad at who won, or angry that we lost, but the PROcess worked and we manipulated it to make sure that we gots ours.  Murray's comments were a little off and he's nothing to complain about.

Murray's mistake is answering questions he's asked. You should always answer the question that you wished was asked. 

Agreed, he needs to listen to any DC politician.  It aggravates me listening to them, but the good ones stick to their agenda and use any question as an excuse to promote that agenda no matter how different the question is from that agenda.  Again, Murray has a learning curve as well being a new GM and I hope he gets it, while keeping aggressive behind the scenes.  We will see during the draft whether he as learned from this process.  The old saying goes, you don't know how someone will respond until they get hit and welcome to the big leagues of media circus.

If he doesn't like the PROcess, then he shouldn't have tanked.

:devil:

I think the part of the process he doesn't like is being dragged up to Toronto for stupid dog-and-pony shows in consecutive years where he has to appear on TV as a loser.

I think the part of the process he doesn't like is being dragged up to Toronto for stupid dog-and-pony shows in consecutive years where he has to appear on TV as a loser.

He needs to grow a set of big boy pants and use it as an excuse to promote the Sabres for impending FAs and trades.  Change the question when asked stupid ones and pull a Belicheat and answer only questions he wants to and stick to that script no matter what.  For being such a control freak, he certainly lacked some..

As the worst team, of course he does.

He said over the weekend: Come back to me in 5 years when we're contending, and I will tell you the same thing. I take him at his word.

That is a huge piece of it. He clearly hates the dog and pony aspect of it (or anything).

Again, that is the PROcess. If you don't like it, then don't tank. That's what all this is about FFS! It's all to discourage teams from tanking. Every complaint that everyone and GMTM has had about the PROcess not working just makes it clearer and clearer to me that it is!

He said over the weekend: Come back to me in 5 years when we're contending, and I will tell you the same thing. I take him at his word.

That is a huge piece of it. He clearly hates the dog and pony aspect of it (or anything).

Yup--just look at how he announced the Reinhart pick. No fake-thanking the fans or city, no nonsense, just goes about his business.

Again, that is the PROcess. If you don't like it, then don't tank. That's what all this is about FFS! It's all to discourage teams from tanking. Every complaint that everyone and GMTM has had about the PROcess not working just makes it clearer and clearer to me that it is!

Are you trying to argue that they drag GMs to the site and have it on TV as a tank-deterrent? If so, I couldn't disagree more. 

Are you trying to argue that they drag GMs to the site and have it on TV as a tank-deterrent? If so, I couldn't disagree more. 

No, but welcome to the NHL. That's the PROcess. You want to get payed millions to manage or play a game that I pay a considerable % of my income to play, then get up on stage and dance, monkey. If you don't like it, then build a winner. You built the 30th place team out of 30, you are lucky you don't get relegated down to the A. You get no say.

And all this because over some sour grapes that GMTM because he didn't get the toy he wanted.

Reporters asked. He answered. Why do you look grumpy?

He hates the process.

But, but, but what if that makes the players we haven't drafted feel real sad?

Gimme a frickin' break.

It's hockey.

No, but welcome to the NHL. That's the PROcess. You want to get payed millions to manage or play a game that I pay a considerable % of my income to play, then get up on stage and dance, monkey. If you don't like it, then build a winner. You built the 30th place team out of 30, you are lucky you don't get relegated down to the A. You get no say.

And all this because over some sour grapes that GMTM because he didn't get the toy he wanted.

This sort of thinking resonates with me not at all.

But, but, but what if that makes the players we haven't drafted feel real sad?

Gimme a frickin' break.

Seriously.

I had to make myself feel better, and get the taste of this nonsense out of my mouth, by watching that compilation of Eichel from the world juniors. Hoo-wee. What a talent.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.