Milan Lucic

inkman

None of the players you mention are guys that another team will feel compelled to react to. They are gritty enough. They are not nasty. Nor are they really protectors for the expensive china we have coming in. And of course, the reason I would advocate for Lucic is because of the unique combination of offense *AND* the nasty he brings. I don't need to bring in nasty without skill. There are only a few players in the league that bring 1st line offense and make other teams react in other than defensive ways. We'll want one, for the protection of our toys, and better yet, for the reaction that other teams will need to have.

The thread is about Lucic, but I'd make the same case for Simmonds. The list gets pretty small after that. Hartnell used to be on it. Not sure he is any more. Stewart gets close, but he's not really a guy other teams need to react to.

Unlike Kassian, at least Lucic has actual history to back up that legend.

Maybe it just comes down to different hockey sensibilities--I don't find Lucic's nasty especially entertaining. Ten years ago I'd have been all over it, but now i get more out of speed and skill than physicality and skill.

Price is going to be difficult. I doubt Boston is going into full rebuild mold looking for picks and prospects. They'll be looking for NHL players in return. The Sabres are whoa-fully short on quality NHL players at the moment. If they are interested in picks and prospects? Pretty much all assets except this years top pick, Girgensons and Risto are in play. If I can get Lucic signed long term I would gladly give-up a package built around Reinhart and #1's. I would need to be able to talk to Lucic before a deal is completed, a rental player, no matter who it is , just doesn't make sense for the Sabres at this point.

Reinhart and #1s? You're like the inverse wookie.

Maybe it just comes down to different hockey sensibilities--I don't find Lucic's nasty especially entertaining. Ten years ago I'd have been all over it, but now i get more out of speed and skill than physicality and skill.

Reinhart and #1s? You're like the inverse wookie.

It's entertaining in that results in other teams having to change their game.  That is an advantage.  The violence in and of itself isn't what I am after, although I do enjoy a good scrap.  I'm after the tactical advantage of a position of strength forcing another team to alter their plan.

Price is going to be difficult. I doubt Boston is going into full rebuild mold looking for picks and prospects. They'll be looking for NHL players in return. The Sabres are whoa-fully short on quality NHL players at the moment. If they are interested in picks and prospects? Pretty much all assets except this years top pick, Girgensons  and Risto are in play. If I can get Lucic signed long term I would gladly give-up a package built around Reinhart and #1's. I would need to be able to talk to Lucic before a deal is completed, a rental player, no matter who it is , just doesn't make sense for the Sabres at this point.  

Wow... just wow.  

giphy.gif

It's entertaining in that results in other teams having to change their game.  That is an advantage.  The violence in and of itself isn't what I am after, although I do enjoy a good scrap.  I'm after the tactical advantage of a position of strength forcing another team to alter their plan.

You know what would make the other team change their game?  Being better than them in lines 1-4 so they can't possible get any matchup where they have an advantage.  

It's entertaining in that results in other teams having to change their game. That is an advantage. The violence in and of itself isn't what I am after, although I do enjoy a good scrap. I'm after the tactical advantage of a position of strength forcing another team to alter their plan.

I'd simply rather force the other team to try to address my team's speed than physical strength--Kane forces game planning as much as Lucic does. Someone like Simmonds is much more enticing to me than Lucic because he's a much better skater while bringing a physical presence.

I also have false hope that the NHL with resume calling penalties, which will make that speed more important.

Price is going to be difficult. I doubt Boston is going into full rebuild mold looking for picks and prospects. They'll be looking for NHL players in return. The Sabres are whoa-fully short on quality NHL players at the moment. If they are interested in picks and prospects? Pretty much all assets except this years top pick, Girgensons and Risto are in play. If I can get Lucic signed long term I would gladly give-up a package built around Reinhart and #1's. I would need to be able to talk to Lucic before a deal is completed, a rental player, no matter who it is , just doesn't make sense for the Sabres at this point.

I don't even know where to start with this.

I don't even know where to start with this.

That's why I am here.

Price is going to be difficult. I doubt Boston is going into full rebuild mold looking for picks and prospects. They'll be looking for NHL players in return. The Sabres are whoa-fully short on quality NHL players at the moment. If they are interested in picks and prospects? Pretty much all assets except this years top pick, Girgensons  and Risto are in play. If I can get Lucic signed long term I would gladly give-up a package built around Reinhart and #1's. I would need to be able to talk to Lucic before a deal is completed, a rental player, no matter who it is , just doesn't make sense for the Sabres at this point.  

Edited by LGR4GM

I don't think you'll see the Sabres trade their emerging core for, well, a wing. Even if he is dangerously, and yummy-sexy like Milancino.

...and then you had to go and post this...

It would be a total Darcy move to jettison centers for role players.

Lucic is an impact player far beyond a simple role player. 

I don't think you'll see the Sabres trade their emerging core for, well, a wing. Even if he is dangerously, and yummy-sexy like Milancino.

Quality doesn't come for free. You want impact you're going to have to pay the price. It would be nice to have established roster players to move, the Sabres just have no value over the age of 22 outside of the former Jets to deal.  

Quality doesn't come for free. You want impact you're going to have to pay the price. It would be nice to have established roster players to move, the Sabres just have no value over the age of 22 outside of the former Jets to deal.

Lucic is a fat baby who would turn into a cream puff the moment you remove him from the protective shield that surrounds him as a Bruin. He'd be a f*cking joke. I don't want him on this team because his antics put our star players in danger of retribution.

We can build a fast, heavy, skilled team, all without that piece of sh*t.

You've seen this year what Lucic is without Krejci. Why would you trade your Krejcis to obtain the weak half of the set?

You've seen this year what Lucic is without Krejci. Why would you trade your Krejcis to obtain the weak half of the set?

The Sabres don't have a Krejci or anything close to deal. Even though, Lucic still produced offensively and was physical. At 26 I'm not going to worry about one perceived down year. 

Lucic is a fat baby who would turn into a cream puff the moment you remove him from the protective shield that surrounds him as a Bruin. He'd be a f*cking joke. I don't want him on this team because his antics put our star players in danger of retribution.

We can build a fast, heavy, skilled team, all without that piece of sh*t.

Can't argue with this kind of logic. This type of insight with Lgr's ability to evaluate talent, you guys might have the makings of a successful internet show. :w00t:  

I generally admire your strong opinions and stands, while not always sharing them. I believe this price would be whacky. I can create Lucic's contribution in a number of ways. I can't create Reinhart's without the talent. Perhaps I'm naive, and I'd welcome opinions, but I'd not trade Reinhart for Lucic straight up. Contract length ignored for this. Edited by Neokolai Gogol

I generally admire your strong opinions and stands, while not always sharing them. I believe this price would be whacky. I can create Lucic's contribution in a number of ways. I can't create Reinhart's without the talent. Perhaps I'm naive, and I'd welcome opinions, but I'd not trade Reinhart for Lucic straight up. Contract length ignored for this.

Why use multiple players to re-create what one player can do? That seems like a very inefficient way of building a team. It all goes back to potential vs established. If you want to bank on Reinhart ending up having more impact than an established NHL player than don't make the deal. I'll always value a NHL resume more than juniors or college.   

I just don't see why you'd sacrifice assets to get him now when you can wait 12 months and he's a UFA. If the answer is he won't sign here as a UFA, then you can be damn sure he won't sign an extension to facilitate the trade. I just don't see a right price to make this work. Now if Boston is willing to do something more rental-like, like Foligno and a 2, then I'm game.

The Sabres don't have a Krejci or anything close to deal. Even though, Lucic still produced offensively and was physical. At 26 I'm not going to worry about one perceived down year. 

Can't argue with this kind of logic. This type of insight with Lgr's ability to evaluate talent, you guys might have the makings of a successful internet show. :w00t:  

I wish you had my ability to evaluate talent but we all can't be this badass.  

Why use multiple players to re-create what one player can do? That seems like a very inefficient way of building a team. It all goes back to potential vs established. If you want to bank on Reinhart ending up having more impact than an established NHL player than don't make the deal. I'll always value a NHL resume more than juniors or college.   

Oh well then we should trade McEichel for Lucic?  Right? I mean why not?  Lucic has a better NHL resume.

Oh well then we should trade McEichel for Lucic? Right? I mean why not? Lucic has a better NHL resume.

Lucic's resume is way too impressive for that. We'd be lucky to trade Eichel for John Scott or Ville Leino. Their NHL resumes are more impressive than McDavid and Eichels combined NHL resumes. In fact we should trade all of our young guys and prospects for cagey old vets close to retirement. That would give us the best roster of past results possible and would be a sure fire way to win the Geriatric Cup!

This coming from the Dweeb Putz...That being said I give Foligno, Cody and a bag of pucks but nothing more. Let Lucic move to the Western Conference.

Edited by North Buffalo

This thread makes me want to puke!!! I mean did any of you guys actually watch their games this year? The guy showed absolutely nothing. In all honesty I would have a hard time rooting for this team with him on it. I've hated him more than anybody in the league the last 8or9 years and now you guys want him on our team.

How about this, name me a playoff team with a so called tough guy in their top 6?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.