The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

If Babcock doesn't like what's coming in Detroit to replace Datsyuk and Zetterberg, I can't imagine he'd want to hitch his wagon to David Desharnais and a 33 year old Plekanec. 

Montreal has been that team for about 3 years now I have expected to drop.  They keep defying me.  Personally I think Carey Price is what is keeping Montreal afloat.

@DamoSpin: If there's no Therrien in the way, MTL vaults to the top in the Race For Babcock.

@JoeYerdon: So if you’re Marc Bergevin… Do you do something knowing Mike Babcock is out there? You have to make a call at least, right?

@BNHarrington: Didnt Babcock make a reference to wanting a sandwich at Schwartz's Deli in Montreal? Have to wonder if Habs offer him a lotta smoked meat.

Thanks.

If Babcock doesn't like what's coming in Detroit to replace Datsyuk and Zetterberg, I can't imagine he'd want to hitch his wagon to David Desharnais and a 33 year old Plekanec. 

Galchenyuck and Gallagher? I still think we have the best, properly balanced skill-wise, youthful team on the market, if that's his main criteria. 

Galchenyuck and Gallagher? I still think we have the best, properly balanced skill-wise, youthful team on the market, if that's his main criteria. 

I know they've tried Galchenyuk at center and they always move him back to wing. I remember earlier in the year he said himself he's just more comfortable at wing. Maybe that could change with a different coach, but until I see it, he's a winger. And calling Gallagher a center is sort of like a certain munchkin we used to have is a center ;)

Oh, that team absolutely lives and dies with Carey Price. 

I mean how far can Carey Price, Subban, and Pacioretty carry you?  I really feel like that team is living on borrowed time.  That said, a couple of good drafts change that.   I just feel that Montreal is thin and taking a look at their prospects, not sure how much help they will get from there.  Hard to say but I as a coach would have a lot of questions for Montreal going forward. 

I know they've tried Galchenyuk at center and they always move him back to wing. I remember earlier in the year he said himself he's just more comfortable at wing. Maybe that could change with a different coach, but until I see it, he's a winger. And calling Gallagher a center is sort of like a certain munchkin we used to have is a center ;)

So, they have one semi-older 1st line center, some youthful under-performing wingers, and an incredible offensive-defenseman while they rely on the miraculous play of Price to be constant? Doesn't exactly scream promising. 

Maybe it is post Darcy center syndrome but that is their biggest question going forward. 

So, they have one semi-older 1st line center, some youthful under-performing wingers, and an incredible offensive-defenseman while they rely on the miraculous play of Price to be constant? Doesn't exactly scream promising. 

Pretty much. I can absolutely appreciate wanting to coach them based on franchise history and prestige, but the roster is very flawed and I don't see a good way out (unless Galchenyuk really can convert to a legit top line center with a better coach). From a purely on-ice perspective I don't see how they could be at the top of Babcock's list.

Maybe it is post Darcy center syndrome but that is their biggest question going forward. 

The middle of the ice is definitely their problem. Subban and Pacioretty are great, Galchenyuk is very good, Plekanec is very good (but at 33, who knows for how long), Gallagher is good, Eller is alright on the 3rd line, and Petry has been a great pickup who I'm assuming they will retain. But that center situation is a very real problem, and as we've discussed at length, there isn't an easy solution there.

Or coaching Detroit... 

Eh if we're doing cross-sports comparisons I'd probably compare the Red Wings to the Steelers and Cubs/Red Sox. The Yankees, Canadiens, and Cowboys are the the most historic and prestigious teams of the big 3 sports. (No, bouncy-ball does not count in my big 3)

Pretty much. I can absolutely appreciate wanting to coach them based on franchise history and prestige, but the roster is very flawed and I don't see a good way out (unless Galchenyuk really can convert to a legit top line center with a better coach). From a purely on-ice perspective I don't see how they could be at the top of Babcock's list.

I'd be pretty surprised if they dumped Therrien anyhow. He hasn't exactly done a poor job there. Go out and trade some youth for a solid center (hey Malkin) and see what you can do. 

We can fix this, we have the technology

JessicaBiel1.gif

Shall you never be banned my man. Ban all the others with all the man crush on soccer players.

Wildcard -- who is that?

As for the Habs -- does Babcock speak French?  If not, it's highly unlikely that he'll end up there.

And "smoked meat" isn't a Harrington double entendre -- it's Montreal's (inferior) version of corned beef. 

I agree, the allure of coaching another original six franchise might be Montreal's biggest selling point.

WGR was interviewing a sports reporter from Philadelphia today who mentioned he believes this is a two horse race between them and Detroit for Babcock's Services. He mentioned Voracek and Couturier and that if the Flyers can get tie of some bad contracts on D they would be able to allow some of their Prospects to learn in the NHL. He mentioned Snider will fly him in on the private jet and give him the grand tour of the facilities. (Sounds familiar for some reason).

The Sabres have better players on the way, no salary cap issues and can match funds. I can't see how Philly is a better fit.

Wildcard -- who is that?

As for the Habs -- does Babcock speak French?  If not, it's highly unlikely that he'll end up there.

And "smoked meat" isn't a Harrington double entendre -- it's Montreal's (inferior) version of corned beef. 

Jessica Biel  :thumbsup:

Even though he was a weasel, to this day even I didn't think Darcy as a person was rubbery enough to slink out of town without a single mention of appreciation to the city or fans. Not one mention....no comment to the press, no $30 ad in the Buffalo News.......I mean, the guy made probably close to $20 million over the years off of the people of Buffalo.

I have never seen a single Darcy quote about anything since he was fired, not one, let alone one about the Sabres.

Edited by dudacek