The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Yep.  After getting Rex earlier in the year it makes it feel right.  Terry gets what he wants.

That OT that Rex met for lunch earlier this week, signed with the Cowboys.  As the Stones song goes "You can't always get what you want...".   ;)

Edited by LabattBlue

Methinks he's leaving

Before granting permission to talk to other teams Babcock turned down #RedWings multi yr deal that would made him highest paid in the #NHL

Told offer was substantially higher then Quenneville's who is highest paid. As of now #RedWings not willing to pay 5m per yr as others might

Quenneville is currently the highest paid at $2.75M.

i'm confused as to he you think Byslma coaches a heavy game

He manages players who know how to play a heavy game, and appreciates them more than a guy like Babcock.

Babcock, Lindy, Hitchcock.....all good coaches in the regard they are structured and regimented. They will get you to the first round more times than not, but unless blessed by the best of talent, will not win you the big one.

Blysma is a true man. He can see people for who they are, and is both talented enough as a coach and as a manager to give you a chance on a team with real men and strong personalities. One of the reasons I like Tortorella so much is that he is the perfect combo to me, but not enough people understand where he is coming from. Blysma is more relaxed and mainstream....and in today's world, that probably comes in handy. Blysma is a lot of Teddy Nolan but with more attention to the micro stuff.

Reality is, the Sabres are a 75-85 point team next year unless something changes in a big way. Your best players are Kane, Bogosian, Girgensons, Ennis, and Eichel. Babcock would wear out his welcome in a much quicker fashion in an environment where young veterans run the team. Just ask.....why is he leaving Detroit? Domi and Larkin are waiting for him. Add that to a current playoff team and I don't see how Buffalo is a better option.

I truly don't think he is coming to Buffalo. I just want to enjoy the game again and not watch the Wells Fargo Wagon roll through town every year with the fans buying the same instruments.

He manages players who know how to play a heavy game, and appreciates them more than a guy like Babcock.

Babcock, Lindy, Hitchcock.....all good coaches in the regard they are structured and regimented. They will get you to the first round more times than not, but unless blessed by the best of talent, will not win you the big one.

Blysma is a true man. He can see people for who they are, and is both talented enough as a coach and as a manager to give you a chance on a team with real men and strong personalities. One of the reasons I like Tortorella so much is that he is the perfect combo to me, but not enough people understand where he is coming from. Blysma is more relaxed and mainstream....and in today's world, that probably comes in handy. Blysma is a lot of Teddy Nolan but with more attention to the micro stuff.

Reality is, the Sabres are a 75-85 point team next year unless something changes in a big way. Your best players are Kane, Bogosian, Girgensons, Ennis, and Eichel. Babcock would wear out his welcome in a much quicker fashion in an environment where young veterans run the team. Just ask.....why is he leaving Detroit? Domi and Larkin are waiting for him. Add that to a current playoff team and I don't see how Buffalo is a better option.

I truly don't think he is coming to Buffalo. I just want to enjoy the game again and not watch the Wells Fargo Wagon roll through town every year with the fans buying the same instruments.

Where is the proof of this? 

Coaching philosophies aside the last line of this is based on what? When was the last time a cup-winning coach who is wanted by everybody was considered a legitimate option in Buffalo? We're not just "buying the same instruments."

You claim Bylsma has a lot of Nolan in him, but he's the anti-Nolan. Saying that he has a lot of Nolan in him and professing your desire for him to come here in the same post is bold in these parts, to say the least, but he's really the anti-Nolan in a bad way. His story has always been about the lack of effort he gets out of his players. Maybe what went down in Pittsburgh this year cuts him a little slack since they seemed to be even worse and the effort was still very low, but you could also say that the team learned to give a low effort from Bylsma's teaching for years. Nolan is always deemed as a guy that gets the most out of a little. Bylsma gets the least out of a lot.

Also, Domi isn't Detroit's property.

I have some questions, probably stupid ones...but I keep thinking about this.

1. Would Scotty Bowman carry any weight with Mike Babcock when it comes to Buffalo? Doesn't Bowman still live there, and hasn't he always? I would assume they must have some kind of relationship, and words from someone like Bowman could be a significant help in luring Babcock to Buffalo...no?

2. What kind of personnel decisions would he want from Murray...just roster decisions, or trade/draft decisions too? Would he walk in there and start demanding that the young players get traded for proven veteran talent?

3. On the flip side of that, going with a team like Philly might give you better players now, but wouldn't he be setup in Buffalo to have a longer run at success, as the young players the Sabres have grow into their roles, as well as their bodies, and develop?

4. This guy has an ego, right? Like, a giant, huge ego? Wouldn't someone like that realize that if he wins in Detroit or Edmonton, or Philly, or anywhere else that he is just another hockey coach...whereas in Buffalo, if he wins, he will instantly become a living legend?

Mainly, the two things I think about the most are #1 and #4...I would think that would be huge for someone like Mike Babcock.

Domi and Larkin are waiting for him. Add that to a current playoff team and I don't see how Buffalo is a better option.

Domi plays in Arizona, Larkin in Detroit. Lol. And, doesn't Babcock have more cups than Bylsma? (And that was in the western conference, no?)

EDIT: Bylsma also failed to even get a bronze in the Olympics, when he had A LOT. (Never realized he played for the Amerks though.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

Domi belongs to AZ

3 thirds comp for Babcock.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=766946

This was mentioned before, but I think we need some clarification. I interpreted it in the way you did, but several reporters took it as just one at some point over the next three drafts.

1. Would Scotty Bowman carry any weight with Mike Babcock when it comes to Buffalo? Doesn't Bowman still live there, and hasn't he always? I would assume they must have some kind of relationship, and words from someone like Bowman could be a significant help in luring Babcock to Buffalo...no?

2. What kind of personnel decisions would he want from Murray...just roster decisions, or trade/draft decisions too? Would he walk in there and start demanding that the young players get traded for proven veteran talent?

3. On the flip side of that, going with a team like Philly might give you better players now, but wouldn't he be setup in Buffalo to have a longer run at success, as the young players the Sabres have grow into their roles, as well as their bodies, and develop?

4. This guy has an ego, right? Like, a giant, huge ego? Wouldn't someone like that realize that if he wins in Detroit or Edmonton, or Philly, or anywhere else that he is just another hockey coach...whereas in Buffalo, if he wins, he will instantly become a living legend?

1. I'm sure Bowman's opinion would be valued as another well-regarded coach approaches Buffalo as an option. Not sure if Bowman still lives here.

2. I think Babcock has made it clear he doesn't want to play GM, but I'm willing to bet he'll want a few answers about the reports that Nolan and Murray never communicated on callups and moves. I think GM and coach should work together a bit on moves. The GM should take the input of the coach, and I think Babcock will want at least that.

3. Philly's stars are young. Eichel, defensive prospects, the family-friendly area and money would be the appeal of Buffalo.

4. A cup is a cup. Babcock is already a legend of sorts. Winning in Buffalo would definitely boost his legend, but he's already got plenty of credit from what he did in Detroit. Haven't seen much indicating he has an abnormally large ego.

Well, heaven knows Bylsma wasn't blessed with the best of talent when he won the big one ;)

Mainly, the two things I think about the most are #1 and #4...I would think that would be huge for someone like Mike Babcock.

Domi plays in Arizona, Larkin in Detroit. Lol. And, doesn't Babcock have more cups than Bylsma? (And that was in the western conference, no?)

EDIT: Bylsma also failed to even get a bronze in the Olympics, when he had A LOT. (Never realized he played for the Amerks though.)

As I described up thread, Philly has Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds, and that's it. Obviously not nothing, but their blue line is worse than ours, and more expensive, and they have little in the pipeline coming that excites anybody. It's an exceptionally flawed roster. Obviously it doesn't have to stay that way, but if I were the highest profile coach on the market, it wouldn't have much appeal to me.

This was mentioned before, but I think we need some clarification. I interpreted it in the way you did, but several reporters took it as just one at some point over the next three drafts.

1. I'm sure Bowman's opinion would be valued as another well-regarded coach approaches Buffalo as an option. Not sure if Bowman still lives here.

2. I think Babcock has made it clear he doesn't want to play GM, but I'm willing to bet he'll want a few answers about the reports that Nolan and Murray never communicated on callups and moves. I think GM and coach should work together a bit on moves. The GM should take the input of the coach, and I think Babcock will want at least that.

3. Philly's stars are young. Eichel, defensive prospects, the family-friendly area and money would be the appeal of Buffalo.

4. A cup is a cup. Babcock is already a legend of sorts. Winning in Buffalo would definitely boost his legend, but he's already got plenty of credit from what he did in Detroit. Haven't seen much indicating he has an abnormally large ego.

Bowman does still live there, I just figured if Babcock had to hear it from anyone, that's the guy I want him talking to about it.

But, as for Philly's stars, I wouldn't say 27 is "young." It's not old, but he could have a 4-6 year run with the 27 year olds, or a 10 year run with our youngsters...I guess that is what I was trying to get at. I would think that would be more enticing.

I honestly think the only competition would be Edmonton...too bad he wasn't an American coach, I think Buffalo would be a lock.

Well, heaven knows Bylsma wasn't blessed with the best of talent when he won the big one ;)

As I described up thread, Philly has Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds, and that's it. Obviously not nothing, but their blue line is worse than ours, and more expensive, and they have little in the pipeline coming that excites anybody. It's an exceptionally flawed roster. Obviously it doesn't have to stay that way, but if I were the highest profile coach on the market, it wouldn't have much appeal to me.

I agree about Philly not being very appealing...but I think their blue-line is being sold short. Gostisbehere, Morin, Hagg, they have some good prospects. Are they Risto and Zads? Not even close. But, I wouldn't say Pysyk and McCabe are much better than they are. I love Gostisbehere.

(I just want a good coach, especially in Rochester, someone who can develop these kids to their ceilings...what I do desperately want though is Ryan O'Reilly or Tyler Toffoli, I hope those are Murray's top 2 targets this summer. I'm just so damn excited. First time in my life that I have been more interested in the NHL draft, than I was the NFL draft. The Bills are built, they just need to win now. The Sabres? Totally different story. I fully expect Murray to go all Whaley this summer, and steal the show. RFA's, proven talent off cap-strapped teams, anything that works, Murray will do it...I hope.)

Domi belongs to AZ

Sorry...Mantha.

My 80's/90's progeny wires got shorted out for a second.

Where is the proof of this? 

Where's the proof of anything?

I'm actually in a Williamsville condo, massaging I Know Physics feet right now.

Blysma - Navy Seal

Babcock - German Officer

Take your pick......

There's more evidence via his Penguins soft playoff performances that would suggest he plays a skilled-fast game more so than the LA model GMTM reportedly wants to pursue 

Babcock..... 15-10 in playoff series in his career which started in 2002.....1 Stanley Cup to his name.

Bylsma.....8-5 in playoff series in his career which started in 2008.......1 Stanley Cup to his name.

Babcock 6-7 in playoff series and no Cups since Bylsma entered league.

The year Bylsma took over when the Pens were out of a playoff spot and he won the Cup......Here was half of his team that won the Cup....

Guerin, Kunitz, Talbot, Cooke, Hal Gil, Orpik, Craig Adams, Scuderi, Dupuis.......you look at that team, and it was a bunch of workmen on defense with Gonchar and Letang. Yeah...they had Crosby and Malkin....

Look at the year Babcock won the Cup. It reads like Lindy Ruff's wet dream, where he can alternate the C between a bunch of eurobots.

See Above!

Per Wawrow, Sabres are interested in Babcock(Shocking I Know) and might interview or at least talk to him at the Worlds next week.

http://hosted2.ap.org/CAANR/*/Article_2015-05-08-HKN-Red-Wings-Babcock/id-08411118949a4632991b671c78179e95

Article doesn't say next week.

The person didn't have a timeline on when the Sabres might make a formal request to the Red Wings, but noted that a meeting could occur at the world hockey championships currently taking place in the Czech Republic.

I say Babcock's a Sabre by Monday.

Babcock..... 15-10 in playoff series in his career which started in 2002.....1 Stanley Cup to his name.

Bylsma.....8-5 in playoff series in his career which started in 2008.......1 Stanley Cup to his name.

Babcock 6-7 in playoff series and no Cups since Bylsma entered league.

The year Bylsma took over when the Pens were out of a playoff spot and he won the Cup......Here was half of his team that won the Cup....

Guerin, Kunitz, Talbot, Cooke, Hal Gil, Orpik, Craig Adams, Scuderi, Dupuis.......you look at that team, and it was a bunch of workmen on defense with Gonchar and Letang. Yeah...they had Crosby and Malkin....

Look at the year Babcock won the Cup. It reads like Lindy Ruff's wet dream, where he can alternate the C between a bunch of eurobots.

See Above!

I never thought that Bylsma asked for a  particularly heavy game. If anything, when Therrien was dumped and they pulled Bylsma out of the AHL, the biggest thing he  really did was loosen the reigns. Therrien had the Pens, with all that talent, trapping and playing a defensive game. Bylsma opened the Pens game up.  It included opening up some stretch passes, less concern on the D end,  and really more of a focus on springing Crosby and Malkin rather than trying to dictate the pace of the game.

I don't think Bylsma is the right coach for a young team. He, if I remember correctly, never much switched his lines.  For better or worse, the Sabres are going to have to experiment with a lot of combinations in the next two years. 

My bet is he ends up in Philly. 

I never thought that Bylsma asked for a  particularly heavy game. If anything, when Therrien was dumped and they pulled Bylsma out of the AHL, the biggest thing he  really did was loosen the reigns. Therrien had the Pens, with all that talent, trapping and playing a defensive game. Bylsma opened the Pens game up.  It included opening up some stretch passes, less concern on the D end,  and really more of a focus on springing Crosby and Malkin rather than trying to dictate the pace of the game.

I don't think Bylsma is the right coach for a young team. He, if I remember correctly, never much switched his lines.  For better or worse, the Sabres are going to have to experiment with a lot of combinations in the next two years. 

My bet is he ends up in Philly. 

Good input. Maybe loosening the reins is what I want to say.

I agree that he is more apt for a vet team, but the personality of the top players on the Sabres right now are that of "old souls"....with a little bit of flash. If we need to wait on Fasching, Bailey, Compher, etc....then it doesn't really matter who is here to coach now. Next year you have guys like Kane, Bogosian, Girgensons, Eichel, Gorges, Gionta, Zadorov.....all those guys should love Bylsma. Add Ennis, Moulson, Risto as skill guys who have creativity and aren't wusses...should be fine. Deslauries, Weber, Foligno....should be fine as well.

When you look at what Murray has done to the personality of this team in 18 months.....Buffalo just may be the new Philly. There is more leadership here now with 20-26 year olds than there was with the old letter wearers under Lindy in their late 20's. I'm afraid if the team isn't playoff ready, you may have a mini mutiny against a guy like Babcock with the personality level here.

I can also see Murray and Bylsma having a pitcher or chatting on the phone a lot easier than Babcock.

Well, my comment on your post was directed at the differences between the 2 regions.  As far as that goes, Buffalo is a cool 1842 miles from Saskatoon, while Philly is 2069 miles away.  Pretty negligible difference.  I don't think proximity to Canada itself sounds like much of a factor, but of course neither of us knows what's in Babcock's head.

As for the other factors, I think you're kidding yourself.  The Pegulas don't want a championship any more than Ed Snider does, and the Sabres' facilities aren't any better than the Flyers' are.

As for the rosters:  There's a reason the Sabres were DFL 2 years in a row, with historically bad metrics.  If the Sabres are very lucky, Eichel will be as good in a few years as Giroux and Voracek are right now.  Reinhart is, at best, a push relative to Schenn and Couturier.

OTOH, the Sabres clearly have cap space in their favor, and probably the perception of a patient owner willing to write big checks and stand quietly in the background (as opposed to Philly's owner, who is probably seen as writing big checks but playing a more prominent role, and doing so more impatiently).

I think the Sabres have a shot at him.  I just don't agree with the dismissal of Philly as a major threat.

On the whole I'm agreeing with this post, but as to the bolded, I think that's very unfair.

Not a bad hope comparisson for Eichel, i.e. the impact level of a Giroux, but I'm not sure I'd say the Sabres would have to be very lucky for that to happen. Obviously there is always some luck involved in a player reaching their full potential, but Eichel is one of the most highly touted prospects of the last decade. He should reach at least that level, unless we get very unlucky.

The Reinhart comment I think is way off base. Schenn? At best? That doesn't fall in line with any scouting report I have read on Sam.

If Reinhart's max upside is Brayden Schenn, Murray would do well to offer Reinhart to the Flyers for Schenn, straight up. I'm sure Philly would accept.

Edited by Thorny

Domi belongs to AZ

Holland said he believed the compensation for Babcock would be a third-round pick in the NHL Draft in one of the next three seasons.

"As long as a team understands if they sign him we're getting compensation, we're going to give those teams permission," Holland said. "Whatever teams want to talk to him, as long as they understand if they sign him or hire him we get draft-pick compensation. If they're good with that, they're free to talk to him."

That being said , i don't know if i want babcock even, i read some time ago he dies his hair.   I don't know if i want a princess behind the bench, if you become grey, be a man and let it happen. :P