I had a sad realization about Jeanneret...

MBHockey13

Because the "networks of NBC/Universal" will be showing every NHL Stanley Cup Playoff game - and I do think that is awesome - does that mean we'll never again hear Jeanneret call a Sabres playoff game on TV? Will they still let MSG have a local broadcast?

I know you can try to match up the radio broadcast with the video, but it's not easily - especially when you have to stream WGR if you don't live in Buffalo.

All I want more than a Sabres Stanley Cup is to hear Rick call it.

Of course, we have to cherish every Jeanneret game from here on out. Hopefully there are more to come. I've been on board with the complete rebuild and the tank, but it makes me sad we had to waste two of what few years of Rick we have left.

Edited by MBHockey13

The Sabres and Dan Dunleavy have said when the time comes, if Rick is still able, he will call any potential Cup-winning game. Of course it would be on radio as local TV coverage would be done at that point.

“If Rick Jeanneret is able to call the game and the Sabres get to the Stanley Cup final, in that situation I would gladly step aside and have the legend and the voice call the game, because I want to hear that call, too. As a hockey fan, I want to hear that call when the Sabres win the Cup. And if he’s able to do it, the only thing I would probably ask is that I’m in the booth with him when he’s calling it. I want to see it, I want to hear it, I want to feel it. As would any hockey fan across the NHL. Who doesn’t want to hear that?”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/nhl-preview/sabres-tv-booth-feels-like-fate-for-dunleavy-20130929

We may miss it live if it ever happens but we'd all be lining up to buy the Stanley Cup Champion dvd that would be synced to his call from the radio so in the end we'd still get to hear it.

I'm sure they'll make it.

I don't know how many people realize or remember, but Rick's famous "MAY DAY! MAY DAY!" call was only on the radio. John Gurtler was the TV play-by-play at the time.

I will be happy that Rick gets to make that "SABRES HAVE WON THE CUP!" call on any outlet.

Be realistic - with RJ's age, his recent medical history and the sad state of the team, he will likely never get the chance to call a Sabres Stanley Cup game.  Of course, if the brainiacs at FNC would have started the rebuild as soon as Pegula bought the team, RJ might have been doing it this year or next.  But, they chose the current path.  Oh, well...so much for sentimentality. 

I hope RJ lives to be 105 and does every Sabres game from now until then, but hope is all it will ever be.

It is always a difficult transition. RJ leaving the booth will be a sad loss for everyone and the game itself. I think of some of the great broadcasters (hockey) that have moved on. Ted Darling, Foster Hewitt, Danny Gallivan to name a few. But there are broadcasters who stay longer than they should, Van, Bob Cole to name a couple. The replacements have been less than thrilling to me. Jim Hughson? Meh. Chris Cuthbert? Couldn't stand him at first but he has become a stellar game caller over the years.  

As sad as it will be losing RJ from the booth, I'm grateful For all the wonderfulness he's be brought and the memories he's given us. I'm also really thankful that the same brainiacs that Sabre Dance bemoans we're sharp enough to say uh hey Kevin Sylvester, you're out of the booth and really pleased with the selection of Dunleavy as the replacement. Can't say I was thrilled right away but like Cuthbert he has gotten much better if not stellar yet and in so much less time. Thanks to the brainiacs on that one.

Their is no replacement for RJ. There should be a statue of the man though cause words are not enough.

Not to mention he kept calling 55 Rasmussen for at least the first period(I stopped watching after that)

I'm pretty sure he was saying Rasmussen, but Carolina does have a Rasmus Rissanen. I wasn't watching on TV, so I take it he was saying it when Ristolainen had the puck? If so, that's bad. That's not Rick. It's a tough situation — he's a parent who's slowly slipping away. The long goodbye.

I'm pretty sure he was saying Rasmussen, but Carolina does have a Rasmus Rissanen. I wasn't watching on TV, so I take it he was saying it when Ristolainen had the puck? If so, that's bad. That's not Rick. It's a tough situation — he's a parent who's slowly slipping away. The long goodbye.

Someone upthread mentioned Bob Cole. He's been flubbing words and names on air for years. I still enjoy listening to him though whenever I catch one of his games. He's still having fun, and I think that's the key. If RJ is having fun, I'd like to keep hearing him.

Yeah our Rasmus had the puck. He did that a while back too. Old memories be a callin'.

Yeah, it was always clearly when Risto was carrying the puck, and the way he corrected himself in the second or third indicated that someone went and told him he was screwing the name up. It was rather glaring and scary.

I kept hoping Carolina had a Rasmussen when I was listening without watching. Then I sat down and counted at least 6 times before leaving the room. I was going to call or text someone but didn't want to put anyone on the spot.

• 2 weeks later...

They just need to hire EA Sports to record his voice for computer generated sequences like Jim Hughson, et al.  Then, using the new puck microchips or FoxTrax or whatever, just have Robo-Rick call the game.  Have Rick record all the individually pronounced syllables, so Robo-Rick can generate new player names in the future too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.